SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
396 Queen is being redeveloped to create 42 new luxury ground floor shops embracing Queen Street and Mayoral Drive. The development will be known as Queens Lane and will be a vibrant addition to Queen Street. Queens Lane has only eight shops with prime Queen Street frontage. Each shop has been carefully designed to provide maximum shop front width, major signage exposure and total flexibility of business use and opening hours. The Lane at Queens Lane will be a boutique retail environment. With twenty shops offering a variety of food, fashion and goods, the Lane will be a luxurious magnet to the thousands of customers who pass each day. With a temperature controlled environment away from Auckland’s inclement weather, Queens Lane will bring relaxed retailing to Queen Street. The Mayoral Drive Shops at Queens Lane provide massive exposure to traffic and pedestrians alike. Inspired use of signage and wide shop frontages are the hallmarks of the Mayoral Drive shops.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There's a new design for this, they are keeping the historic facade and incorporating it into the podium. It would appear that the whole external facade of the tower is also going to change ... I think that it looks much better ... more news:

A shop being offered for sale off the plan is one of only nine ground-floor Queen St frontage retail premises that will be created at the redeveloped 396 Queen St. The 64sq m unit is being marketed by Millie Liang and James Chan of Bayleys Auckland with an eight-year lease to a Gloria Jean's Coffees' franchisee from the completion of the premises, projected to be in June 2013. The unit will produce initial annual net rental income of $95,000, with two-yearly rent reviews to the higher of market or the Consumer Price Index rate of increase. Founded in the United States in the late 1970s, but now Australian owned and locally operated, Gloria Jean's Coffees has over 1000 coffee houses in 39 countries. It opened its first store in New Zealand in 2003 and now has 23 outlets here.

Gloria Jean's is moving from its previous location at 360 Queen St to the new premises which will have a 5.4m high ceiling and be part of a substantial refurbishment of the high rise building on the corner of Queen St and Mayoral Drive in the heart of Auckland's education and entertainment district. Liang says a further 14 retail premises on the Mayoral Drive side of the project have been sold and the developer intends to retain and lease the remaining Queen St shops. She says the redevelopment will transform the corner of Queen St and Mayoral Drive, where more than 10,500 pedestrians pass by each day. Liang says the new retail complex is part of a major rejuvenation of Aotea Quarter, with the council having spent $100 million on the surrounding area with the renovation of Aotea Square, the development of Q Theatre and an upgrade of Lorne St.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That facade still needs work to look more natural otherwise it will continue to be a joke. Good idea to keep it in order to make it look more upmarket but the heritage aspects still needs to flow through to the inside and the rest of the buildings appearance.

·
2,220 Posts
Aren't the ornaments on top of the heritage façade part of a parapet? Maybe that's why it looks so... awkward - because the proposed white wall comes up to the top of the parapet? Imagine the white wall reaching roof height only, it makes a world of difference I reckon...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am glad the Queens Head is staying but the new design is pretty lazy. They should really go for it with that facade and play up the old/new thing. Really like it when they contrast hyper modern with heritage and would suit that area with the Qtheatre across the road.
I guess it's more a as-cheap-as-possible development though...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Any ideas what they have planned for the Tower facade..I can see down the middle of one side, it is plain glass..has it always been like that? Either way, the need to ditch the horrid 80's metalic blue...

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Will be good to see that whole corner activated there, I wonder when something will be constructed on the corner opposite across Queen Street, it's crying out for something more than that hideous diner that's there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Korean Restaurant could make way for a gateway with stairs leading down to the new square that is planned for Myers Park.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts