Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 221 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could this article relate to this ...

Conrad Properties celebrates success of Queens Court

Established in 1994, Conrad Properties celebrates the success of its Queens Court apartments. Members of development and marketing teams at Conrad were present at the occasion here at 114 St Georges Bay Road, Parnell, Auckland. Queens Court retails shops in the heart of Auckland have approx 62 prime retail shops, 98% are already sold .The construction work was completed in December 2012. "People are excited about prime Queen Street frontage plus a food market which sits beneath a stunning glass atrium featuring a diverse choice of cuisines from around the world", said Robert Holden - the Principal and Founder of the Conrad Group of Companies. The Conrad Group's Development Division is one of Australasia's leading privately held Real Estate Developers. Behind the Group there is 17 years' experience of successful projects in Australasia, particularly in New Zealand. Within the last eight years the Conrad Group has developed over 3,500 Residential and Commercial Units. "This is one of our large-scale projects and we are very pleased to see people enjoying the environment at Queens Court" said Stephen Sutorius Director – Australia. Stephen became a Conrad equity partner in 2012. "This is the most successful project after Wakefield tower. We are very ambitious about our future projects as we are engaging more and more investors" said Erica Tod, Marketing Director of Conrad Properties. "We combine our flare for creativity with our extensive experience in property management and marketing to develop and implement creative ideas which drive Conrad's marketing strategies from concept to the market place". She said. Some commercial property holders at Queens Court were also present at the occasion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the buzz out there this could be the first couple of substantial skyscrapers to rise in the CBD (25f + 30f). It is definitely consented and it would appear that it is being marketed in Asia. Cross fingers :)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I do like the look of this, would like to see some new Renders, can't really see why this wouldn't go ahead if it has consent..that area needs a bit of a clean up and kick up the backside...

·
Registered
259 Posts
I dunno - I'm unsure the renders look so good to me I feel a sense of gaudy 80's in part of the design. I still have little to no faith in this Conrad outfit after their meritless work to date - maybe this can be the beginning of their redemption.

I watched their spruiking video and was amused that the Leushke Architects CEO was it banging on about his company's attention to design - well I suppose after his company was behind so many poorly designed leaky buildings I am somewhat cynical about the integrity of their work (I owned one such property desinged by them so my comment is first hand) .... also there is a fellow on the video trumpeting about how this latest Conrad building will add to their already great repuatition - really?? - has he never seen their work?

Call me cynical but when you dump crap buildings into a city I call home - it takes some time and proof to prove you've turned a corner, however if their new building is as flash as their sales video then who knows!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Like all renders of new buildings, for some reason they'd like us to believe that everyone will leave their (soft glow) lights on, and that something like 21 of their expected residents, over 5 floors, will press their bodies to the windows presumably so that the rest of the world will admire them with unbridled envy. The neighbours' buildings of course have only a few lights on and no people to be seen. And the street outside is packed with happy people just soaking up the ambiance (in contrast to the Streetview photo).

Bizarre isn't it? Architect's seem to appreciate the value of "activating" their buildings when they want our money (i.e. in the glossy renders used by the salesmen). But there's almost no hint of activating the street frontage in reality. Why? Do they collectively not understand the cause and effect of activation? Victorian architects did - in fact, all through history. Do they think it doesn't actually matter in reality, or that we are all that stupid that we don't see past the render to what the building will actually look like? Once we have shelled out our money to buy a flat, who really cares... on so on. This building appears to be fronted by plain blank walls at street level.

I guess the charitable explanation of why architects are consistently detached from reality is that the developers have pushed the limits of the envelope and can't pay for things like attractive and active street frontages. I can imagine arguments by the architects, who understand design and the human element, and who insist on making the property active at street level, only to be ruled down by their developer paymasters who've spent their last dime. In my imagination these architects go home to curse to their spouses how they had to compromise, but thems the breaks. Problem is - this situation I've described is purely imaginary. In reality I believe it is the architects that lack the vision and understanding, and the design competence.

Conrad wouldn't be known as a dog today if their previous designs had been better. They wouldn't have had to spend a cent more, and they'd be richer and have a better reputation now because more people would want to live in their buildings. My view: the architects are provincial (and that's an insult to the provinces, where there is some fantastic design).

All that said, it's still great to have another tower - I'd rather take it than leave it, but when will the architects and developers learn??

·
Registered
181 Posts
But there's almost no hint of activating the street frontage in reality. Why? Do they collectively not understand the cause and effect of activation? Victorian architects did - in fact, all through history. Do they think it doesn't actually matter in reality, or that we are all that stupid that we don't see past the render to what the building will actually look like? Once we have shelled out our money to buy a flat, who really cares... on so on. This building appears to be fronted by plain blank walls at street level.

I saw the drawings in showroom. Wakefield street is fully fronted by retail units and the apartment entry.

Airedale Street has shops, a garage door and another entry to the lobby.

There isn't any blank wall?

·
Random
1,288 Posts
I can't say this development gives me high hopes when they can't even spell discerning correctly on all their advertising material....
Ha, and it's not even in the fine print. How could that not jump off the page and punch anyone with even a mild grasp of English in the face? Hilarious.

·
Registered
293 Posts
As long as they activate the building a street level I think it's fine, aesthetically speaking. It's not another boring glass box with fins, the variations of the colour and angles of the balconies look great, as do the diamond shaped roofs. It's also great to (finally) see another tower (and more apartments) go up in Auckland's CBD, which means the death of yet another empty lot.

Honestly, there's such a culture of negaivity on this forum. I'm fairly sure people here would find something to moan about nomatter what the tower looked like...

1 - 20 of 221 Posts