SkyscraperCity banner

201 - 220 of 1552 Posts

·
12 Solo's so far!
2,593 Posts
Go the little building.

It sort of remind's me a bit of Disney's UP.

·
Resident Planner
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Suggestion box open for Queens Wharf
4:00AM Sunday Aug 23, 2009

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10592784

Auckland City Mayor John Banks (L) and ARC chairman Mike Lee at Queens Wharf. Photo / Martin Sykes

Everyone from schoolchildren to world-acclaimed architects can submit ideas from today to redevelop Queens Wharf for the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

The first stage of the competition is aimed at creative and innovative ideas before up to eight teams are chosen to submit detailed designs.

The challenge of transforming the historic wharf as a magnet for the cup and beyond has been costed at up to $76 million, $20 million more than the budget set by Auckland City Council.

The Government and the Auckland Regional Council, which each put up $20 million to purchase the wharf from Ports of Auckland, have not committed any money for the redevelopment.

Entrants in the first stage must include a cruise ship terminal, open space and ideas for the cup. Apartments, hotels, offices and large scale retail facilities are banned.

Entrants must also consider the historic and character elements of the wharf, although the brief is unclear on whether the two 97-year-old dock sheds must stay. Auckland City has been keen to renovate the sheds for a cruise ship terminal and other uses, while the regional council wants a new "building with architectural merit".

The design competition follows a similar approach to the Britomart transport terminal and Te Wero bridge, crossing the Viaduct Harbour to the Tank Farm. The first stage of the Britomart competition in 2000 drew 153 entries. Entries for Queens Wharf will be on show at the Union Fish Building in Quay St on September 13 when the wharf will be opened.

The chief executives of Auckland City, the regional council and Ministry of Economic Development, with the help of design experts, will choose the finalists to prepare detailed designs.

Each team will receive $10,000 and the winner will be announced in November.

* Enter your submission at: www.queenswharf.org.nz

* World Cup countdown

August 24: Stage one design competition begins.

September 11: Entries close.

September 13: Entries on show and public open day.

September 25: Stage one winners announced.

September 28: Stage two begins.

November: Winner announced.

July 2010: Construction begins.

September 2011: Cup begins.

·
Resident Planner
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Photos - Part 1

The small shed:

·
From The Land of Plenty
720 Posts
^^ What a spot, can't wait until the 13th of September when we get to see all the designs ideas, I don't know what to expect!

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for that Jarbury .... pray do tell, what do they find so fascinating with those sheds that they think that they are worthy of preserving ? All I see is corrugated iron, beams that look as if they are ready to snap when somebody coughs (hardly industrial strength I-beams) ..... the powers that be are so easily impressed .. give them a weather beaten bach and they will think that it is the Shangri-La :)

·
Gotta lite?
5,989 Posts
^^ I agree Sydney. What on earth are they seeing. They are just sheds. There are no architectural merits at all noticeable in them.

·
Resident Planner
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Part 2:

The small shed isn't as impressive as the larger one (or at least upstairs of the larger one). In terms of "why keep them", what Wellington has done in restoring their old wharf sheds is pretty fantastic. I shall try to dig up a few photos of their sheds.

Stand by for part 3 soon.

S

·
0 Posts
The big shed is better and I can see quite a few things that I like ... the timber beams and proper I-beams .... but quite frankly they should both be torn down. If they still insist on keeping one the little shed has got to go bye-bye's ;) I am looking forward to the Wellington shed pics Jarbury - thanks :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Seriously neither of these sheds are worth keeping and no amount of money thrown at them will make them "world class" that i can see. I am hoping they will be kept for the world cup party and then pulled down to make way for something stunning whether it be an iconic building or open people space.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ugly sheds in a world class location. These belong on an industrial estate not in such a prominent site on the waterfront. Pull them down and build something worthy of the location.

·
Resident Planner
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Of course they're not going to be kept in their current condition. However, I think they have some very interesting potential, that could respect their heritage value and also provide a great long-term solution for the wharf.

The mixture of steel beams and the wooden roofing I think could be great. Plus the wooden floor in the larger shed could also be refurbished and look pretty awesome.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Of course they're not going to be kept in their current condition. However, I think they have some very interesting potential, that could respect their heritage value and also provide a great long-term solution for the wharf.

The mixture of steel beams and the wooden roofing I think could be great. Plus the wooden floor in the larger shed could also be refurbished and look pretty awesome.
I think the large shed looks fantastic, I really think we should take advantage of its gritty maritime look and use it for a point of difference. Demolishing them and building something new could very well end up being something that looks and feel sterile and cheap. Opening them up for some views over the harbour could create some really beautiful yet raw spaces. I have in the past attended the poster sessions of conferences that were held in similar former industrial warehouses and found it really great. Keeping these large spaces provides for a multi-use future such as functions etc.

We only need to look at what happened to Devonport's wharf to see how badly this could turn out if done wrong.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Here are a few shots of Wellington's waterfront and what they have done with their very similar sheds - I think Wellington's waterfront is fantastic personally.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Atleast they have some heritage and aesthetic value. Nowhere near as cheap and grotty as our ones :)
The sheds in the middle of the 2nd picture with the blue doors are probably most similar to the ones in Auckland.

But they are also all 'just sheds'

see also here

201 - 220 of 1552 Posts