SkyscraperCity banner

241 - 260 of 1552 Posts

·
12 Solo's so far!
2,593 Posts
:) All countries will try and save money. Take the USA for example. The contractor who won the rights to build the Space Shuttle was the lowest bidder. Fantastic piece of 1970's hardware, until an O ring goes or piece of bird poop dents your thermal protect system. :)

Not sure why the picture above got me to thinking of bird poop?

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Why don't we all wait until what comes out of the design competition, 80 million will be spent on the wharf so I think we'll be getting a pretty good outcome, whether we keep the sheds or only aspects of them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Auckland:hahaha: why are you always embarrassing yourself all the time don't you know that the world is watching and having a good ole:puke:at your constant cheap & nastiness, look Auckland stop trying to be a 1st world city when are only just a 3rd world city:eek:ld:
I think if you took the time to REALLY walk around Auckland and actually take it all in you'll realise how wrong you really are. Auckland is a beautiful city and has some really great areas that are World Class like the Viaduct/Lighter Quay area for example.

Auckland is also a city of great potential and improvements are happening all the time so I think it's unfair to label it as a 3rd world city which in reality would be the equivalent of Kabul in Afghanistan.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Auckland:hahaha: why are you always embarrassing yourself all the time don't you know that the world is watching and having a good ole:puke:at your constant cheap & nastiness, look Auckland stop trying to be a 1st world city when are only just a 3rd world city:eek:ld:

How on earth is Auckland a third world city?

·
Registered
228 Posts
^^ Wow! Kauri Sarking! So Exciting!! Lets jump in joy.
To be fair, Kauri is actually very nice native timber, the use of which is now quite restricted. I think it would be very understandable to want to save the Kauri structures we have left, instead of just chucking them away.

·
Gotta lite?
5,989 Posts
^^ Kauri is wonderful wood, so it wouldn't be thrown away but reused.

By the way. Anyone have a definition for "world class". I only ever hear this on Australian or NZ threads?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
^^ Kauri is wonderful wood, so it wouldn't be thrown away but reused.

By the way. Anyone have a definition for "world class". I only ever hear this on Australian or NZ threads?
Definition below:

world-class  /ˈwɜrldˈklæs, -ˈklɑs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [wurld-klas, -klahs]
–adjective 1. ranking among the world's best; outstanding: a world-class orchestra.
2. attracting or comprising world-class players, performers, etc.: a world-class tennis tournament.
3. Informal. being a notorious example of its kind: a world-class snob.

I would guess it would be the first definition that would be being used in the context you have read. I notice (from another thread) you are reading Duncan Fallowell's book about NZ. Number 3 provides an apt description of him. :lol:

·
Gotta lite?
5,989 Posts
Dear Nick.Yeah from Wellington, quite frankly i wouldn't worry about Auckland being the cheap & nasty capital of the world living in the capital city of the South Pole is enough of a worry:hahaha:
If you don't like Auckland that's fine, but a more grown up approach reflecting on what aspects of the city bothers you would demonstrate your intellect somewhat better. You write like a small child, someone under the age of 12. If you are older than this, well, you should be a tad embarrassed. If you are under 12, then I don't think you should be on this forum.

·
Resident Planner
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Please ignore the troll.

Samwise, if you're going to abuse Auckland, at least get more than 15 posts under your belt and prove to us you're more than just a troll before you do that.

·
2,450 Posts
Now do see why i make jokes about Auckland, check out the web site below, Brisbane:cool: is only a river city does not have a harbor and yet it is spending $300 million on building a brand new cruise ship terminal:banana2: plus that city hasn't got a major world sporting event coming up, kind of makes the BIG $80 million:2cents: Auckland is going spend on tarting up 2 old boat sheds a bit of a:lol:

http://www.portsidewharf.com.au/
Yeah lol 80 million is nothing. Thats what I mean- We DONT think BIG, EXTRAVAGANT...All we do is F around with shitty old sheds and their kauri flooring and whatnot

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I am looking forward to this project will be a great piece of urban design for Auckland, I don't think designing something for the RWC is the best plan better to develop for the long term.

Anyone can do new and sterile, but reusing can lead to some great results.

I think this space looks great and I particularly like the old industrial doors and hooks

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
On a related note, does anyone know how they propose tying the existing ferry drop off pick up point with the new development and whether it would stay? It should perhaps be restricted to just vehicle drop offs and taxis kept to across the street. But all the parking up behind the devonport ferry building on Queen's Wharf itself should go.

i.e. in the left of this photo behind the red fence (but what a waste with all those car imports sitting on the wharf!)

Some other great shots on that site too:

·
Aucklander
897 Posts
Now do see why i make jokes about Auckland, check out the web site below, Brisbane:cool: is only a river city does not have a harbor and yet it is spending $300 million on building a brand new cruise ship terminal:banana2: plus that city hasn't got a major world sporting event coming up, kind of makes the BIG $80 million:2cents: Auckland is going spend on tarting up 2 old boat sheds a bit of a:lol:

What a waste of money. Douchebag :tongue:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts

Shame they built it on the wrong side of the gateway bridge, and will have to spend another pile of dosh to tart up a bunch of old sheds at pinkenba that they made passengers from the Queen Vic slosh through.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159921

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow thanks for linking those shots drosophila, Auckland is looking great. Now instead of looking like a douchebag I'll wait until the finalised plan for the Queens wharf comes out before I make any remarks on how crap it is. However I will say it does stand out quite a bit and whatever does go there needs to be of a very high standard and we can't afford just to give the sheds a bit of a paint and a clean-up.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yeah lol 80 million is nothing. Thats what I mean- We DONT think BIG, EXTRAVAGANT...All we do is F around with shitty old sheds and their kauri flooring and whatnot
Im abit behind the gossip. Is it true that $80mil will be used to tart up the sheds on aucklands waterfront? Is it initially intended for the worldcup? If so I would of used the 80Mil on finishing off Eden park OR creating better access to Eden Park. That would of been my choice. :)

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Im abit behind the gossip. Is it true that $80mil will be used to tart up the sheds on aucklands waterfront? Is it initially intended for the worldcup? If so I would of used the 80Mil on finishing off Eden park OR creating better access to Eden Park. That would of been my choice. :)
There's a design competition at the moment on what will become of Queen's Wharf, have a look here.

www.queenswharf.org.nz/

This will be great for downtown Auckland.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Wow thanks for linking those shots drosophila, Auckland is looking great. Now instead of looking like a douchebag I'll wait until the finalised plan for the Queens wharf comes out before I make any remarks on how crap it is. However I will say it does stand out quite a bit and whatever does go there needs to be of a very high standard and we can't afford just to give the sheds a bit of a paint and a clean-up.
Can't claim credit I just copied them over from the www.queenswharf.org.nz/ site :)

241 - 260 of 1552 Posts