SkyscraperCity banner

261 - 280 of 1552 Posts

·
Resident Planner
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Great photos dros. Just shows what a key site Queens Wharf is.

·
Gotta lite?
5,989 Posts
@drosophila, great photos there. Any idea if the original size is available?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Wow, great stuff Sydney. Great to see a theme other than sails/korus/wakas. The pebbles are conveniently shaped like rugby balls :D.

Though I'm not sure there is the political will to stump up enough money required to build structures such as the cafe/gallery/viewing deck pod.

On a side note, is the cafe/gallery/viewing deck pod an existing structure? If so, where bouts?

S

·
0 Posts
Wow, great stuff Sydney. Great to see a theme other than sails/korus/wakas. The pebbles are conveniently shaped like rugby balls :D.

Though I'm not sure there is the political will to stump up enough money required to build structures such as the cafe/gallery/viewing deck pod.

On a side note, is the cafe/gallery/viewing deck pod an existing structure? If so, where bouts?
Thank you :) yes, it does exist, I think that it is a pavilion at some cricket ground in England :) The City Council just wants ideas and concepts therefore there isn't too much information provided, it is just to give them a taste of what can be done and once the finalists have been chosen then they get down to the nitty-gritty ... in other words, taking the proposal apart and chop-chop-chop ... counting the pennies and chopping some more ;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's a bit bland for me I do like the stones, it does look cool. Auckland desperately needs a 'sydney opera house'/ major conference centre like tha $500m one in Melbourne or something that says Auckland! Ideas around the european hertiage would be nice or sails and boats and the affinity to the water.

S

·
0 Posts
It's a bit bland for me I do like the stones, it does look cool. Auckland desperately needs a 'sydney opera house'/ major conference centre like tha $500m one in Melbourne or something that says Auckland! Ideas around the european hertiage would be nice or sails and boats and the affinity to the water.
The budget is too low, my proposal is probably too expensive for them :lol: I get the feeling that the iconic building will be built at the Tank Farm ;)

·
2,450 Posts
:applause::applause::applause:

I was really unsure about the renders that you posted earlier thinking that they looked like eggs. But now that I have looked at some of the examples of the "Etee lined market place pods" and the viewing pods, I think this would be OUTSTANDING for the area!
Its got everything...Pushes the boundaries, is colourful, iconic and doesnt include any tokenism. Though I think you may be at a disadvantage there without any of the usual stuff...you know what I mean-the korus etc because that usually sways the politicians!

BTW, what is etee?

And I must add, the seating doesnt look quite right...Needs colour.

·
Resident Planner
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Yeah it's the Lord's media centre. I've been inside there actually, as when I was in London I did a tour of the Lord's Cricket Ground (highly recommended by the way). Interesting ideas Syd, I'll reserve judgement until I have a good idea of how much of the original sheds you're keeping :p

S

·
0 Posts
:applause::applause::applause:

I was really unsure about the renders that you posted earlier thinking that they looked like eggs. But now that I have looked at some of the examples of the "Etee lined market place pods" and the viewing pods, I think this would be OUTSTANDING for the area!
Its got everything...Pushes the boundaries, is colourful, iconic and doesnt include any tokenism. Though I think you may be at a disadvantage there without any of the usual stuff...you know what I mean-the korus etc because that usually sways the politicians!

BTW, what is etee?

And I must add, the seating doesnt look quite right...Needs colour.
Thanks Nicco :) ETFE is a new translucent material that was used on the WATER CUBE in Beijing and it will be used at Eden Park Stadium. I would have preferred the seating that they have at Sylvia Park but now I think that they look like icebergs. I chose these because you can sit and face any direction you choose ;) Not straight ahead of you as if you are at school :) Colour would be my choice as well, I played it safe, you know how it is ;)

Yes!

Very cool, Sydney.

Marketplace pods!
Thanks, I am glad that you like it :cheers:

Yeah it's the Lord's media centre. I've been inside there actually, as when I was in London I did a tour of the Lord's Cricket Ground (highly recommended by the way). Interesting ideas Syd, I'll reserve judgement until I have a good idea of how much of the original sheds you're keeping :p
My proposal is to keep the large roller doors, keep the I-beams (untreated) and replace the corrugated bits with glass, the Kauri can be recycled for internal use such as feature walls etc.

I like it Sydney, Well Done!!!!
Thank you and welcome to the forums :)

Thank you :) yes, it does exist, I think that it is a pavilion at some cricket ground in England :)QUOTE]

Yep it is from a cricket ground, the most famous in the world. It's the media centre at Lords in London.

Like the concept of something like that looking out over the harbour.
Imagine sitting there watching the ferry's come and go - lovely ;)

·
2,450 Posts
Designs up now!

I quite like this one (minus the fugly token shed). Its cool how the building incorporates a ramp which lets you climb to the top!! And I love the fact that there is contact with the water.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Interesting. I had a quick gawk, will look more in depth tomorrow when I have time and am more awake. Some good designs there, especially the ones with greenery. The more I look at the designs though, from my perspective the ones without the sheds look heaps better than the ones with the sheds. The sheds still look like...well sheds.

If they want to keep them for heritage sake I say spruce them up and relocate them.

261 - 280 of 1552 Posts