SkyscraperCity banner

281 - 300 of 1552 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
^^ Gave some good feedback on that.

The more I look at this one, the more I like it.
Thank you :hug: ... we loved the "open day" and now we are very excited about the possibilities. The views are incredible and my idea for the cafe\restaurant will work so well, the views from that point are INCREDIBLE (Harbour Bridge, The ferry's coming and going, Prince's Wharf .... stunning !)

As far as we are concerned, the sheds are better gone, nothing special at all. If they insist on keeping them they had better do something amazing to them.

As for the concepts, some terrible ideas (ferns, waka's, koru's, sails & shells ... the usual but not in a good way) ... the people having their say is a bit of a worry - LOADS of nimby's and some were asking their children of 8 & 9 years old to give feedback - I couldn't believe it :lol:

There was also some very good ideas - we loved #212, #206, #203, #92, #192, #221, #055, #052 (my personal favourite), #036 and #138. I will try to post them here.

S

·
0 Posts
Here's our favourites (I will put these on my blog - higher resolution):

TOP FAVOURITE

OTHER FAVOURITES

·
2,450 Posts
^^ Yeah I liked those ones aswell. But as you know, there is no way in hell the politicians will let them go through. Too radical and too expensive or else our rates will go up and the herald will publish a story and no one will vote for banks bla bla

S

·
0 Posts
^^ Yeah I liked those ones aswell. But as you know, there is no way in hell the politicians will let them go through. Too radical and too expensive or else our rates will go up and the herald will publish a story and no one will vote for banks bla bla
:lol: That is exactly what we thought, dream projects ;) The NZ Herald will probably choose the one that is just one huge park :lol:

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Quite a few people attended the "opening the red gates" today with John Key and John Banks doing the opening speeches, (without a microphone so no one could actually hear what they were saying). Their PR people need a good kick.

I have taken a few 360's for those who could not make it in person. Here is the first one.

·
2,450 Posts
Interesting blog post here: http://pc.blogspot.com/

So those are the ones that caught my eye. And what will probably win? Probably none of these. Probably something like one of these two: something that’s simple and box-like and could just as easily be in a suburban park; something unchallenging that re-uses the two existing barns; something with open plazas so windswept and vast – so pedestrian and unimaginative – it’ll feel like Red Square by the Water; something without a hope of earning back its construction costs, so that you’d wonder whether it would even be worth the bother and the expense. Nice pictures but.
A bill for development that neither the government nor the two councils involved – or, I’ll wager, most of their ratepayers and taxpayers -- really wants to pick up. Which is why two sheds are supposed to be retained which are so unattractive that if they were on a back block in Piopio you’d probably knock them down – yet here they are in a prime spot about to have the world’s eyes on them, and all the talk is how to bodge up some way to ‘make them work.
You can pretty much tell that this is Gordon Moller's Design, and I wont be surprised at all if it gets chosen...Very safe, unimaginative and bland.

http://www.queenswharf.org.nz/designs/images/pdfs/196.pdf

And I bet you this will be the favourite choice for Aucklanders....

S

·
0 Posts
Referring to the blog post .... mmmmmm ... how tastes differ (he/she liked 2 of the proposals that we did) :) I am pretty sure that it is a Gordon Moller proposal - how 80's indeed and it better not win but then again he is in bed with the who's who of Auckland ;)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Some fantastic designs - dare I say, some are even relatively iconic.

I don't mind Moller's. It wouldn't be my first choice but (provided it had more green space) it isn't a shocker either.

The budget will be the killer though. Not sure some of those can be done for the pennies that are available.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey Sydney, just want to say that I love your design, mate. It's definately one of my faves. I love that it has a 'New Zealand' feel to it, without being kitsch. Fantastic :)

·
Gotta lite?
5,989 Posts
^^ do you have full screen high res versions of those great panoramas of yours? I'd really love to immerse myself in them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nicco, what was the number of the design you posted with the slanted roof that takes people down to the water? Tried to find it on the Queens Wharf site, but gave up after a couple of dozen clicks.

Really hope Auckland picks something urban for the wharf. Key criteria in my mind should be what keeps it busy after dark;and how good are the pedestrian links to the CBD? Anyway, good to see something happening. The waterfront could be such a jewel and if Auckland ever lives up to its amazing potential, it'd be great for NZ.

281 - 300 of 1552 Posts