SkyscraperCity banner

1501 - 1520 of 1552 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Trust shit-face Orsman to show the worst pic to try and stir up a reaction from the nimby trolls ... The concept sounds far more promising than the picture itself. Thank God we don't have an Orsman in Melbourne :)

·
2,178 Posts
Some good news regarding the vehicle entry to Queens Wharf, via Cycle Action Auckland:

Council (together with Waterfront Auckland and AT) have just announced that the current access to Queen’s Wharf next to the ferry terminal is going to be closed, and a new left-in / left-out only driveway will be opened further east.
See this PDF for further info.

·
2,178 Posts
^^ The way I see it, Waterfront Auckland, AT and the Council deciding to curb vehicle movements in favour of a gain for pedestrians and cyclists, however small that gain may be, is a huge step forward. Call it optimism.

·
Just like Sister Ray said
1,344 Posts
Wow. Those new proposed public spaces on Transportblog look really promising. :cheers:

Any news on the actual Queens Wharf? That has to be one of the biggest disappointments in Auckland in recent years. Talk about squandered potential.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Wow. Those new proposed public spaces on Transportblog look really promising. :cheers:

Any news on the actual Queens Wharf? That has to be one of the biggest disappointments in Auckland in recent years. Talk about squandered potential.
The report the images comes from contains this which gives some hints which ties in with some of the other things that have been suggested recently.

S

·
0 Posts

An ambitious wishlist of 16 projects to transform downtown Auckland is being released today. Its aims are more generous public space, better connections with the waterfront and big changes to public transport and driving in the city. Among the projects are an early start on the $2.4 billion city rail link at the Britomart end, a $300 million redevelopment of the Downtown Shopping Centre, expanding public spaces stepping down to the water's edge on either side of the Ferry Building, turning Quay St into a largely pedestrianised boulevard, a new bus interchange and improved ferry facilities. Councillors will formally receive the Downtown Framework today, a long-awaited piece of work to help them to make future investment and development decisions. Many of the projects are uncosted and have to go through a rigorous process as part of a new 10-year budget, which includes $7.5 billion of proposed cuts in capital spending and running costs. Rick Walden, who heads the council body co-ordinating and focusing downtown activities, said 12 of the 16 projects were likely to occur over the next decade. Two key projects that will trigger a lot of development are Precinct Properties' redevelopment of the shopping centre and the city rail link ... MORE

·
2,178 Posts
Designs for controversial Queen's Wharf sculpture released

A controversial $1.5 million piece of art set to grace Auckland's Queens Wharf is one step closer to erection as the working design is released to the public for the first time. The sculpture of a "typical New Zealand house" with glass chandeliers inside designed by Michael Parekowhai was commissioned following a $1m donation from Barfoot & Thompson. The further $500,000 had since been sourced from unnamed private donors – meaning the sculpture came at no cost to the public. Auckland Council said Parekowhai had now completed the developed design for the "iconic artwork" for the northern end of Auckland's Queens Wharf.

MORE

·
Registered
109 Posts
This seems appropriate

folly
noun

1. lack of good sense; foolishness.
"an act of sheer folly" a foolish act, idea, or practice.

2. A costly ornamental building with no practical purpose, especially a tower or mock-Gothic ruin built in a large garden or park

·
Registered
808 Posts
Michael Parekowhai is probably new Zealand's most celebrated modern sculptor with exhibitions (one on in Brisbane now) and works all over the world.

He's represented NZ at the Venice Bienalle. We don't have an awful lot of large scale public works but we do have a history of rubbishing every one that is proposed. I remember Ihara's Wind Tree being described as a colossal waste of money.

Personally I like this. It pays observance to Barfoot and Thompson (who are stumping up a mill) and links the land to the sea and sky. I like the motif of the stellar navigation as we are a nation of immigrants and journeyers.

A picture of just the outside is misleading. Like taking a photo of a box and ignoring the contents. Parekowhai consistently designs external shells with contents that then challenges our preconceptions.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Michael Parekowhai is probably new Zealand's most celebrated modern sculptor with exhibitions (one on in Brisbane now) and works all over the world.

He's represented NZ at the Venice Bienalle. We don't have an awful lot of large scale public works but we do have a history of rubbishing every one that is proposed. I remember Ihara's Wind Tree being described as a colossal waste of money.

Personally I like this. It pays observance to Barfoot and Thompson (who are stumping up a mill) and links the land to the sea and sky. I like the motif of the stellar navigation as we are a nation of immigrants and journeyers.

A picture of just the outside is misleading. Like taking a photo of a box and ignoring the contents. Parekowhai consistently designs external shells with contents that then challenges our preconceptions.
^^^^^^

Yes..agree on the creator and aesthetics .but placing it on a wharf??
Such a prominent and controversial one as we'll??
It's like positioning it at the entrance of the Auckland International airport terminal...
It would of been more appropriate at Wynard near the playground....at least the kids would of appreciated the extra climbing stairs!:eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
^^^^^^

Yes..agree on the creator and aesthetics .but placing it on a wharf??
That's my initial thoughts. Can't comment on the design - that's subjective.

Still, I could live with that location if they get rid of the Slug and de-clutter what was supposed to be a public space with sweeping views. In that regard, the sculpture would stand on its own and be able to be appreciated.

As for the Slug, I actually really like it - the curving the roof and how they use changing lighting - but there has to be another place for it. Doesn't need to be downtown either.

·
If seagulls could talk...
700 Posts
Oh well - Queens wharf does needs more "Stuff" on it - $1.5m sculptures, trees, playgrounds, bandstands, paddling pools.....anything to give some life and vitality!

Sadly the Shed 10 building so far isnt working well as a venue. It feels unpleasant (inside and outside) and very disconnected from its surroundings.

Maybe the whole place needs an strong 'aesthetic'. Why not go back 150 years and reference the 'age of sail' or maybe the glory days of the NZSC passenger liners in the 1920s? I prefer these conceptually to a 'victorian industrial dockyard' theme which seems to be a default (shed 10/red fence).

1501 - 1520 of 1552 Posts