SkyscraperCity banner

1541 - 1552 of 1552 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
^^ hey easy on that's a heritage shed :bash:

I can't believe people fought to keep nasty old crap like this, when they have allowed other far more significant buildings to be demolished.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Keep the retro space inside but encapsulate it in a nice and more fitting building on the outside. It’s a visual disgrace, ditto for the cloud, it’s just a funky tent.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes people love using and renting shed 10 its a real asset for the wharf. The Cloud needs to go now, so we can create the public space envisaged in the original purpose of the wharf purchase off POAL. Consent expires 2021 I think, and the fabric cover life will be an issue around then. PLan is still to bring back the structure and roof of Shed 11 (without walls maybe) at the southern end of the wharf.
Also POAl need to start complying with the terms of their license and open up the eastern side of the wharf after cruise ships have left. Naughty POAL for all these years.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks like ports of Auckland car parking building on marsden wharf is well underway
Yes it is.....but it is on Bledisloe Wharf. When completed Captain Cook wharf will be handed over to Auckland Council for a cruise terminal and Marsden Wharf will be demolished.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Yes people love using and renting shed 10 its a real asset for the wharf. The Cloud needs to go now, so we can create the public space envisaged in the original purpose of the wharf purchase off POAL. Consent expires 2021 I think, and the fabric cover life will be an issue around then. PLan is still to bring back the structure and roof of Shed 11 (without walls maybe) at the southern end of the wharf.
Also POAl need to start complying with the terms of their license and open up the eastern side of the wharf after cruise ships have left. Naughty POAL for all these years.
We could put something much better than the Shed(s) on the wharf, something that would be more fitting as the cruise ship gateway to NZ and multipurpose enough for other uses when not required for the ships. Cruising is exploding, the numbers of vessels visiting Auckland is increasing, we need better facilities for them, not just a crusty old shed.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I was not a fan of these being kept, until I saw the refurbished shed from the inside. A fantastic space.

I am OK with the exterior as a nod to the heritage. Since they were being kept, I would have possibly retained Shed 11 also but regardless, the key was making this the "people's wharf" as originally promised - car and bus free, grass, trees and seating. it could have been fantastic.

But its now horrific with all the traffic. The retention of the Cloud and the art work makes it cluttered. I think we just accept its not going to be a public space and we make it work as a maritime transport hub, with the sheds playing a role.

That's on the proviso we get CCW all to ourselves.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes it is.....but it is on Bledisloe Wharf. When completed Captain Cook wharf will be handed over to Auckland Council for a cruise terminal and Marsden Wharf will be demolished.
Thanks
Wasn't sure which wharf it was
Was however very interested in it going ahead so quickly with mr Peter's still wanting it moved to north ports

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks
Wasn't sure which wharf it was
Was however very interested in it going ahead so quickly with mr Peter's still wanting it moved to north ports
Surely we know by now that Mr Peters is all talk at the election, and then forgets about it after. The move to North Port will never happen.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wish that were all true! No need then for stupid 'temporary' (10-15 year) 'dolphins' on Queen's . Panuku is now saying the dolphins could be 're-purposed (porpoised?)' - conveniently failing to say that in front of the RC commissioners cos they wouldn't have got consent. They asserted in their evidence that they could and would be removed (no funding set aside for that either).

Unfortunately, there is as yet no agreement btw POAl and Council & POAl on POAL giving up/selling Captain Cook Wharf, nor any funding set aside for that move and the extension to CC wharf that will be required. Yes marsden is going.

POAl pay $1 per year for their license to occupy QW - why would they want to move?

1541 - 1552 of 1552 Posts