Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately in the news there has been a lot about corruption in Queensland. But most of it seems to be coming from the courier mail..

Seems like the Joh days are back :(

Anna and her cronies have got to go. I am sick of ALP spin :( but the thing is the opposition are weak and dry, hence why she got in.

THE Bligh Government has suffered a serious credibility blow after two ministers failed to declare dealings over a controversial $1.5 billion resort development.

Infrastructure and Planning Minister Stirling Hinchliffe and Local Government Minister Desley Boyle were last night forced to defend themselves against claims they had kept a 2005 meeting about a Sunshine Coast development secret.

Poll: Does Queensland need a Royal Commission?
Analysis: Mates rates haunt Bligh
Peter Beattie: Merri Rose claim denied
Business link: Bredhauer rejects ethics breach

At the time, Mr Hinchliffe was a paid consultant for the Rainbow Shores residential development at Inskip Point and Ms Boyle was the planning minister.

Mr Hinchliffe told Parliament of his involvement in the project and, when elevated to the ministry this year, handed responsibility for decisions on the development to Ms Boyle. But neither minister revealed they had previously met to discuss the venture, fuelling Opposition calls for a royal commission into the deepening crisis over government links to business.

Ms Boyle last night said she had met with both opponents and supporters of Rainbow Shores but the final decision on the development would be made by Cabinet, without Mr Hinchliffe.

In other developments yesterday:

• Business groups demanded an overhaul of the way business is done in Queensland, claiming a complete breakdown in "community trust".

• Former minister Steve Bredhauer was accused of a conflict of interest over his role as Queensland's trade representative to China and Vietnam while advising a company with links to the region.

• Developer AHC Ltd has claimed it "wallowed in delays" because it was unwilling to pay for a lobbyist to get access to a minister.

Local Government Association Queensland executive director Greg Hallam said the flawed system of accessing ministers via lobbyists must be fixed as there was "a complete breakdown in community trust".

Urban Development Institute of Queensland chief Brian Stewart said there was a belief that powerful political lobbyists were needed to "open every door".

But Premier Anna Bligh said there was no need for a royal commission into the issue as the CMC had sufficient powers.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25864648-952,00.html

·
Registered
547 Posts
Anna and her cronies have got to go. I am sick of ALP spin :( but the thing is the opposition are weak and dry, hence why she got in.
Queenslanders have had their chance to get rid of the corrupt lot up there but they chose not to. Suffer for three more years but then hit them where it hurts the most - at the ballot box.

·
Premium Member
9,743 Posts
I don't think it's just a Queensland problem. Business, lobbyists (many of them ex members of both major parties) and governments have become too close. A good example is Bob Carr's new career as a "consultant" for Macquarie Bank.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Its cases like this and NSW that makes me wonder about the effectiveness of state governments and democracy. In both cases labour got voted back in, and then the governments destroyed themselves, now we have to wait a number of years before we can finally vote them out. Too bad there is no form of government better than democracy.

I currently think that removing the state government might be the best thing for Australia, too bad it will never happen because of its unpopularity.

·
Maglev Believer
2,259 Posts
If we payed the politicians alot more money, would they therefore be alot less susceptible to all these corruption problems? IE I don't need your stupid $100,000 check because I am already getting $500 k a year?
Perhaps also remove the whole donations to parties thing, and parties just get a set bucket of money to run an election campaign and their party and so be it. Elections might not drive people so insane with the complete over saturation of media.

·
i've changed my mind
3,885 Posts
I hate labor... but am quite impressed with Anna... she's actually quite a smart woman and has some decent ideas... pity she's surrounded by fat union cronnies with double chins and BO.

·
i've changed my mind
3,885 Posts
If we payed the politicians alot more money, would they therefore be alot less susceptible to all these corruption problems? IE I don't need your stupid $100,000 check because I am already getting $500 k a year?
Perhaps also remove the whole donations to parties thing, and parties just get a set bucket of money to run an election campaign and their party and so be it. Elections might not drive people so insane with the complete over saturation of media.
you would then have some grubby business behind the scenes over who gets to have the 500k job... your second idea is good tho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts