Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever been to black bike week I heard some stories about it not to mention I heard that a lot of beautiful women be there is it that great or over hyped? I was thinking about checking it out thats why I started this thread.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Interestingly enough, as a Black man born and raised in SC, I've never been to Black bike week.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Interestingly enough, as a white man born and raised in NC I have. :) It has always been a fluke that I would end up there that weekend but none the less it was always interesting. I remember when I was around 16 and I was riding in the car with my mother and grandmother, they were both in the front and I was in the back. In front of us were tons of bikers and immeadiatly in front of us was this dude with his girlfriend on the back of his bike. She was wearing a thong and stood up in the seat and "shook what her mama gave her" so to speak. She was maybe ten feet in front of us and I was really embarassed to be sitting next to my mom and grandmother while this was going on. So, if you like bikes and partying, by all means go, just leave your grandmother at home. :)

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
oresaw said:
Interestingly enough, as a white man born and raised in NC I have. :) It has always been a fluke that I would end up there that weekend but none the less it was always interesting. I remember when I was around 16 and I was riding in the car with my mother and grandmother, they were both in the front and I was in the back. In front of us were tons of bikers and immeadiatly in front of us was this dude with his girlfriend on the back of his bike. She was wearing a thong and stood up in the seat and "shook what her mama gave her" so to speak. She was maybe ten feet in front of us and I was really embarassed to be sitting next to my mom and grandmother while this was going on. So, if you like bikes and partying, by all means go, just leave your grandmother at home. :)
what did your grandmother think. i mean really. :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you are referring to the one in Atlantic Beach/Myrtle Beach, SC, it has changed significantly over the years. The first one I attended was in the early 80's (shows my age...I was is in high school). Wilmington, NC (Port City Wheelers) and some local SC biker clubs actually started the event. Motorcycles and racing are religions in those parts of NC and SC. That's primarily all we had to do, now we have 4 wheelers & bikes.

Many Wilmington, NC area bikers would make the short trip to the area during Memorial Day weekend (Atlantic Beach being one of the only Black beaches, on the east coast/US) and take advantage of the NO helmet laws and beach amenities in SC. Back then, on the strip near the beach, you'd have burn outs and racing on the strip. It's was a regional crowd (couple thousand people) with little problems from cops as a result of most the crowds chosing to remain on or near Atlantic Beach. We hit the clubs (more like shacks) on the beach, just walk in and start partying.....it's was a WILD place but chill.

So the crowd was local and regional, a mix of of everything from college bound to you name it....people just out to party/socialize. I can't remember meeting anyone from say VA, TN, GA at that time, all NC and SC people.

When people like myself went off to schoolin' (NC A&T in Greensboro), we would spread the word and attend every year. Word got out to other bike clubs (especially in places like Columbia, Norfolk, Greensboro, Raleigh, Richmond, etc.), and it began to snowball. By the late 80's and early 90's, you now had 10's to 100's of thousands of people and a mix of people from all walks of life, concerts, etc.

Being that Atlantic Beach had limited housing, it spread to Myrtle Beach and that's when the police and local store owners took note (never mind that the week before Black bike week, the Harley's have an equivalent sized event).

Anyway, the last one I attended was in 1996 and there was absolutely too many people. Women flashing breast and mooning (Buck Wild). Traffic was at a crawl,etc.

I've heard that it lost some steam due to the harassment from cops, but I'm sure there is fun to be had if you can deal with the crowds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is the deal with Black Bike Week. I have a condo at Cresent Sands in North Myrtle and have vowed to never go back during that week. Here is the plain and simple reason.....traffic. It is unbelievable!! The last time I was there during BBW it took me 2 1/2 hours to get from Bimini's to my condo. This is a trip that would normally take 15, maybe 20 minutes any other time. If you have patience, then by all means have at it. It is quite a sight I must admit. You get all types who go to this event.

·
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan
1,844 Posts
I haven't been down there during Memorial Day weekend for about 10 years because the traffic is so bad; you can't get anywhere...pure gridlock. As with any group of hundreds of thousands of teenagers and twenty somethings, you're going to have a few out of hand, but everyone should be able to do their own thing, within reason, without harassment from the police.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts