Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered, how come it, and much of East LA and the surrounding area goes diagonally, and west of Hoover Street everything goes NSEW?

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
First of all, did you know the City of Los Angeles, during its history, was governed under four different countries? The countries are Spain, Mexico, California (for a short time an independent nation) and the United States. The flags of each of those four countries are represented in the City Seal of Los Angeles.

The diagonal streets were extensions of the original Spanish Grid. The Spaniards planned cities and villages with a grid slightly skewed towards the northeast to minimize impact from winds. The original pueblo de Los Angeles, then under the rule of Spain, was planned with a Spanish Grid system.

The NSEW grid, known as the Jeffersonian Grid, was planned by the Americans, with Los Angeles by then already an American city.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, did you know the City of Los Angeles, during its history, was governed under four different countries? The countries are Spain, Mexico, California (for a short time an independent nation) and the United States. The flags of each of those four countries are represented in the City Seal of Los Angeles.

The diagonal streets were extensions of the original Spanish Grid. The Spaniards planned cities and villages with a grid slightly skewed towards the northeast to minimize impact from winds. The original pueblo de Los Angeles, then under the rule of Spain, was planned with a Spanish Grid system.

The NSEW grid, known as the Jeffersonian Grid, was planned by the Americans, with Los Angeles by then already an American city.
Oh wow, and I read in the early 1900s LA's western borders were practically Hoover Street. So basically,west of Hoover was where the Americans started to build?

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Oh wow, and I read in the early 1900s LA's western borders were practically Hoover Street. So basically,west of Hoover was where the Americans started to build?
The Americans started to build before that, but they just extended the streets that were designed by the Spanish settlers and all the areas outside of "The City" were basically farmland and ranches. I don't know why Hoover was where they decided to establish the Jeffersonian Grid but I'm guessing it coincided with the establishment of USC (which Hoover once ran through) in 1880. Los Angeles officially became an American city in 1850, when California was ceded into the Union.

Actually the western border was Western Avenue, and the eastern border was...guess which street? Yep, Eastern Avenue.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
It always amazes me just how "new" this city is but how fast it has grown and experimented w/ different approaches to urbanism.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Americans started to build before that, but they just extended the streets that were designed by the Spanish settlers and all the areas outside of "The City" were basically farmland and ranches. I don't know why Hoover was where they decided to establish the Jeffersonian Grid but I'm guessing it coincided with the establishment of USC (which Hoover once ran through) in 1880. Los Angeles officially became an American city in 1850, when California was ceded into the Union.

Actually the western border was Western Avenue, and the eastern border was...guess which street? Yep, Eastern Avenue.
i think I thought the western border was Virgil...are you sure it went as far west as western?

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
i think I thought the western border was Virgil...are you sure it went as far west as western?
Oh yeah. In fact the city's borders even go as far west as the Pacific Ocean :D

We are both correct, it just depends on the era. The city's borders have changed many times over the years. Western and Eastern avenues were named because they were once the city limits, with Main Street as the median.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Where is Eastern Ave?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh yeah. In fact the city's borders even go as far west as the Pacific Ocean :D

We are both correct, it just depends on the era. The city's borders have changed many times over the years. Western and Eastern avenues were named because they were once the city limits, with Main Street as the median.

I am sure this is NOT news to you, but I love looking at Thomas Guide Maps because they have the dotted lines of the old ranchos and the original pueblo map which was ...8 leagues? is that right? now I can't remember..

also there is a plaque in front of KCET where the western corner of the pueblo was designated.

one day I would love to go to madrid and see our original map.

there is a lot of history to Los Angeles but you have to dig to find it and it is different than other places.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
^^ Ooh, i'm going to Madrid, where do they have an original map?
Closer to home, I'm sure the Huntington Library would have an original map. All that land that they no longer control (in the Americas and in Asia) are really no use to Spaniards anymore, and they really don't want to be reminded of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts