Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question about driving in Spain - updated (new question)

In a couple of weeks im going down to Barcelona for about a week with my folks + gf and we'll be renting a car and driving around.
The thing is, we're landing in barcelona airport but our hotel is in Salou. So we need to figure out how to drive from barcelona airport to salou.
Is it hard to figure out for people who dont know spanish or have ever been to that country before?
Is there like a "spanish" mapquest where we can get driving directions/maps etc?

Thanks in advance!
:cheers2:

EDIT: New question! "How does one get from Salou (to be more specific Hotel Eurosalou) to Reus Airport with no car?
Is it cheap to take a taxi? Are there trains?

thanks in advance for teh help! :)"

·
That's what she said
1,792 Posts
In a couple of weeks im going down to Barcelona for about a week with my folks + gf and we'll be renting a car and driving around.
The thing is, we're landing in barcelona airport but our hotel is in Salou. So we need to figure out how to drive from barcelona airport to salou.
It's pretty easy. You just have to follow the signage to reach AP-7 in direction Tarragona/Valencia. The fastest route would be through C-32, taking AP-7 in El Vendrell (after driving for 30 minutes or so), but there are several options. Once you are in AP-7, just keep going South until you see the exit to Salou. You will have to pay around 12€ in tolls and the total time spent is slightly above an hour.

Is it hard to figure out for people who dont know spanish or have ever been to that country before?
Spanish signage is not among the best in Europe, but it's not difficult at all to find the most popular destinations. Just remember if the name of a city appears in a blue sign it will be the way through a motorway and if it's in a white one it will be through a convencional road.

Is there like a "spanish" mapquest where we can get driving directions/maps etc?
At a European scale, Via Michelin might be the best. Just write your departure and destination and it will find you the best route.
http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

Hope you have a nice time!

·
Super Moderator
22,358 Posts
Hviid, I've just come back from a couple of weeks driving around northern Spain. The motorway signage is fine, the only sign related problems I found was that in some towns the signs seemed to disappear at certain points but it's generally pretty easy to find your way around.

The main inconvenience is that Spanish cities tend to be very dense compared to what i'm used to here in the UK and finding parking can be difficult, you either have to drive around the confusing one-way system for an hour trying to find a free space on the street or go for an underground garage that seems to have been designed for cars no bigger than a Fiat 126.

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beautiful! :) Thanks for the help Stifler / Jonesy! :cheers2:

·
That's what she said
1,792 Posts
you either have to drive around the confusing one-way system for an hour
There's usually another parallel one-way street in the opposite direction, but it's hard when you are not used to.

go for an underground garage that seems to have been designed for cars no bigger than a Fiat 126.
Actually I have always thought the same, but haven't tried foreign private parkings to compare them.

Besides that, how was your Northern trip? I guess you haven't been lucky with the weather. It was the rainiest spring in 30 years.

·
Super Moderator
22,358 Posts
There's usually another parallel one-way street in the opposite direction, but it's hard when you are not used to.

Actually I have always thought the same, but haven't tried foreign private parkings to compare them.
I think most car parks here seem to be a bit bigger but it wasn't a major problem, just a minor inconvenience.

Besides that, how was your Northern trip? I guess you haven't been lucky with the weather. It was the rainiest spring in 30 years.
The trip was great, watch out for several photo threads appearing soon (San Sebastian, Bilbao, Oviedo, Picos de Europa, Santander, Santillana del Mar, countryside/small towns in Asturias and Pais Vasco).

The weather was good in general too. We had huge downpours when driving down through France and then again for 24 hours when we were visiting Bilbao but apart from that we had nice sunny days with just a couple of light showers in the mountains.

I've brought home lots of cabrales cheese to make my fridge stink and some bottles of cider as souvenirs

I didn't make it to Aviles unfortunately, I'd like to return to have a look around Galicia, castilla-y-leon and northern portugal some time so maybe i'll pass through then.

·
That's what she said
1,792 Posts
The trip was great, watch out for several photo threads appearing soon (San Sebastian, Bilbao, Oviedo, Picos de Europa, Santander, Santillana del Mar, countryside/small towns in Asturias and Pais Vasco).
:eek:kay:

The weather was good in general too. We had huge downpours when driving down through France and then again for 24 hours when we were visiting Bilbao but apart from that we had nice sunny days with just a couple of light showers in the mountains.
Glad to hear so, cause we have seen lots of news about floods in the North, especially in Bilbao.

I've brought home lots of cabrales cheese to make my fridge stink, a kit for making fabada asturiana and some bottles of cider as souvenirs
Haha, Cabrales is not a good friend of long trips. I still remember the smell of my car when I forgot some for hours in my seat during a sunny day. You have everything neccesary to be an Asturian.

I didn't make it to Aviles unfortunately, I'd like to return to have a look around Galicia, castilla-y-leon and northern portugal some time so maybe i'll pass through then.
Wait until Niemeyer Center is finished. Maybe 2050... :eek:hno:

Cheers :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
22,358 Posts
^^ I ensured that the Cabrales I bought was vacuum sealed to save my car from cheese disaster :laugh:

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,389 Posts

Thanks in advance!
:cheers2:
It is very easy:
From BCN airport take the road straight ahead towards the motorway direction Tarragona, Salou is 10-12 km. after Tarragona, it is the exit number 35 in the motorway AP 7. One hour by car approx. 103 km.
:wink2:

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New question... how does one get from Salou (to be more specific Hotel Eurosalou) to Reus Airport with no car?
Is it cheap to take a taxi? Are there trains?

thanks in advance for teh help! :)

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're a good man Stifler! :cheers2:

How about taking the train from Barcelona to Salou.. is that possible? I'm searching on google and cant seem to find any train stations in Salou...

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks again dude!

Since i'll be having the interrail pass i wouldn't need to buy any extra tickets though... right?

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,389 Posts
^^I think InterRail pass is not valid for short distance trains, I'm afraid...
:dunno:

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where can i find out 100% if this is true or not? I know the interrail passes are valid in some countries, for all long + short distance trains (denmark and holland for example..)

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You rule man! :cheers2:

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,389 Posts
Where can i find out 100% if this is true or not? I know the interrail passes are valid in some countries, for all long + short distance trains (denmark and holland for example..)
In Spain long distance trains travel more than 100 km. Less than that is considered short distance and service is provided by "cercanías" (kind of commuter trains or regional metro).
:yes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts