Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have a bit of a question which I need some help with-- here's the deal:

My boyfriend is in Quebec (near Montreal) for the next little while. With him always calling me from his cell phone, the long distance is getting quite expensive for him. He and I both have Toronto cell phone numbers.

If I call him from Toronto, will it charge me long distance, because he's in Quebec? Even though he has a Toronto area code in his number?

I have a calling card, but I'm not sure I can use it to call him because he has a Toronto cell number. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks guys! I promised him I'd sort this out before the next time he calls. Me calling him long distance isn't an option as I am a poor student, heh heh.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
The cheapest way to phone is calling cards. A $10 CiCi will last FOREVER. Well, not forever but a very long time; something like 600 minutes. Global Vox is a good one to use from Montreal. If he calls from a pay phone, it will be very cheap. If you call his Toronto number, he will pay roaming charges. Text him and tell him to call you with the calling card, preferably from a pay phone if possible. Texting is cheap, and SKYPE is ultra cheap, but you have to call from your computer.
Hope some of that helps!!

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah... Skype is great, and texting is cost-free, but those aren't an issue.

Good to know that I could use a CiCi card though-- I have them, but I figured they were only for long-distance, and assumed that I wouldn't be able to call a Toronto number (his cell) using the card. That's what I'll do from now on though. That way he's only paying roaming, and no long-distance.

I think that makes sense?

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
No, I don't think it works that way. There are no charges for you to phone his 416 number, so you don't need a CiCi card for that. The charges are incurred by him when he answers his cell. You need the CiCi card to call him on a landline or a payphone. He is the one that needs the calling card to call you (again from a landline or a payphone). There isn't any way for him to avoid roaming charges if he is phoning from there. As long as he uses his cell for anything but texting, it is going to cost him moolah.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Has to be local to local meaning if I call from Hamilton to Toronto it's long distance. But if I go to Toronto and call someone in Toronto it's no longer a long distance charge and a local call.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Has to be local to local meaning if I call from Hamilton to Toronto it's long distance. But if I go to Toronto and call someone in Toronto it's no longer a long distance charge and a local call.
So, no roaming charges for calling from Toronto? How does that work? Your phone contract in Hamilton pays for you to go to another city and call around locally with no roaming fees? If that is true, then Thryve's b/f can use a calling card with his cell phone from Montreal, as it is a local call to access the card. I have a hard time imagining it will be free for him, though, to use his phone in Montreal.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use a CiCi card with my cell all the time; I don't get charged for long distance that way.

I will mail my boyfriend a CiCi (calling) card and he can use it to call me. That way, he's only paying roaming charges and nothing else.

Does that make sense, folks?

(I really appreciate this; he is there for military training and our cell phones are our only means of contact, apart from snail mail which he doesn't have time for.)

He's calling tomorrow evening, and I really wanna figure this out before then. I guess his plan will affect this as well? I am so bad when it comes to cell phone stuff.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
So, no roaming charges for calling from Toronto? How does that work? Your phone contract in Hamilton pays for you to go to another city and call around locally with no roaming fees? If that is true, then Thryve's b/f can use a calling card with his cell phone from Montreal, as it is a local call to access the card. I have a hard time imagining it will be free for him, though, to use his phone in Montreal.
My cell phone bill has "From" and "To", so it's like this....

From -> Hamilton To-> Hamilton = Local charge - no charge (part of my 200 minutes)
From -> Toronto To-> Toronto = Local charge - no charge (part of my 200 minutes)
From -> Hamilton To-> Toronto = Long Distance charge

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, as I recall it, I've been told that when one is in another city, they should think of their cell phone as a pay phone. It's like they are using a phone from that city when they use their cell. So he should be able to use a calling card if I send him one, and it will allow him to access it as if he is calling from a Montreal phone. I hope that's the case.

OR

Should I also try calling him on his cell, from my calling card?

·
Terminator
8,920 Posts
cell phone working withing your coverage area (cell tower)so if you bring it out side your coverage area you will pay for roaming charge.So my cell registered in Vancouver if I go to Toronto and make a call to TB number,the call will go from my cell to Vancouver tower and go back to Toronto so even you can dial direct area code with out enter 1 still is a long distance call.Unless you have Canada coverage package offers by a lots of cell phone provider.Or a cheapest way is to sign up with a lots of long distance phone company like Call Select or Startec...its cost 0.029 any where in North America (which I am using right now).

·
Terminator
8,920 Posts
yeah cell phones are expensive when roaming is an issue
yup,Fido changed me about $0.35 per mit for roaming charge.The calling cards may come as cheap but they do have a lot of hidden fees (connection fees)but still its the cheap way to call .

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
i can't remember how i called but when i was in california i used it about twice maybe and it was like $7 for very minimal time - it was added on to normal bill so I was kinda like ugh

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm gonna go to the Fido store tomorrow and find out what the best thing to do is. Then again, being a cell phone carrier, even in-store they are pretty useless. They will probably get me to call their 1-800-WE-DONT-KNOW-SHIT number. Bah. :lol:

I'm not looking to eliminate his roaming charges. I realize that's beyond our control. I just want to eliminate him paying long-distance fees on top of that.

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
I'm not sure about the CiCi cards (never heard of them), but I know with some long distance call cards have massive delays. My mum who is currently in the Bahama's (I know, it's a bit further than Toronto to Montreal) has huge delay when I am talking to her. I'll say one thing, and it takes 5 or so seconds for her to even reply. I often end up talking over top of her, and she does the same to me. Very annoying. I'd rather pay more for a regular service, but that's just me.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
thats normal with that long distance - not the cards

when my friend calls me from half way around the world there is a long delay - it is annoying - we are both on cell phones - at least I know I am - he might be on a landline

even on a landline - when we would call south africa there some delay

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
Really? I used to call to London and Toronto, where I have cousins, all the time and it was never as bad as call-cards. I just thought the delay was something you have to put up with if you didn't want to pay full cost.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts