SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to go about paying for college?

I have about two and a half years left of college, and my situation is that i'm paying all of it by myself.

Now, since I have practically zero dollars to pay for my own college education, I filled out the FAFSA to see if i'd get any grants. I ended up not getting any grants whatsoever.

What they gave me were Federal PLUS Loans and a minimal amount with the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford loan (~$2625).

Since my mom is not taking part in my college finances whatsoever, the Federal PLUS loan is slashed from the equation. the Federal Unsubsidized is about 1/8th the amount of the estimated college expenses for the academic year, so I definitely need more.

Any thoughts? Anybody have experiences with private (DEFERRED) loans? I'm looking for ones that wouldn't give me rates that would screw me over for the next 15 years of my life. How much of an interest rate does a Federal Unsubsidized Stafford give?

I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
456 Posts
scholarships are the only thing i can think of. FAFSA only gives money to the poor. Us middle class gets screwed when it comes to grants. The poor get money from FAFSA, the rich can afford college on their own, and we get screwed.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Scholarships, grants, loans, work study.

·
18,165 Posts
look for scholarships. a lot go unused simply because people don't know they exist. i would try that first.

glad to hear you're paying for college on your own. you'll certainly be a more responsible person than most people who are spoiled by mommy and daddy all the time. hopefully your hard work paying for school and making ends meet will result in a better-paying job once you finish.

·
Registered
872 Posts
MexAmericanMoose said:
scholarships are the only thing i can think of. FAFSA only gives money to the poor. Us middle class gets screwed when it comes to grants. The poor get money from FAFSA, the rich can afford college on their own, and we get screwed.
^Word. My family is barely rich enough to be considered middle class and I didn't qualify for any grants either. I'm pretty sure that the feds cut off grant money if your net family income is over $50,000 a year. As anyone can tell, that is hardly enough to pay for college.

The only thing you can do is to apply for any scholarship that you can, anywhere you can, and pray for daylight. Also, you should probably prepare yourself for many years of debt.

I also want to add that some private banks offer supplementary loans to students but you have to start paying those back immediatly rather than after graduation. I think that Chase offers a loan that covers all your excess college expenses not covered by federal loans and grants. You might want to look into that. Even though you have to pay the private loans back immediatly, Chase offers a very low interest rate so it isn't so bad.

·
Journeyman
16,793 Posts
I don't know where you live. But in Washington state a lot of people go to community college for the first two years. Around 15 years ago I was paying $300 per quarter for this. Then you transfer to a four-year school, with preferred admission. (Not that I did -- I never planned on a degree.)

·
Registered
454 Posts
mhays said:
I don't know where you live. But in Washington state a lot of people go to community college for the first two years. Around 15 years ago I was paying $300 per quarter for this. Then you transfer to a four-year school, with preferred admission. (Not that I did -- I never planned on a degree.)
This is probably the best advice. Don't be fooled in paying an exorbitant amount of money for 101 classes...

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
mhays said:
That's what I'm doing here in Virginia. But I don't plan on attending a four-year school in this area, though. I would like to go back to Texas or go to Chicago but the schools in the Chicago area are expensive as hell.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Yea, i'm actually done with my community college (nvcc will be sending me their prestigious A.S. degree through the mail sometime soon)... the world is at the palm of my hand now.

I still have these two years of university degree to knock out, though. So for now, it's loans for two years (and maybe some scholarships for my second year; if i do well enough).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know alot of people who manipulate the numbers on FAFSA to get the grants. $50,000 (between 2 people) annual income is usually when they begin to deny federal sub. loans and grants. Usually you can add addtional people when it asks for "family size in household". The more people currently "attending college" in your family, the more the dramatic change in likihood you'll get the grants, etc.This is obvioulsy unethical to some people but Ive seen never seen a person get called out on it all through college.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts