Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what happens when you scour Google Earth for too long....

(What I'd like to know is) that I noticed that in many towns and cities across the former Yugoslavia have American/or Western European-style residential areas with private houses that appear to have ceramic roof tiles (at least from above). Since this forum is Balkan-realted I was wondering if anyone here could provide close up photos (cause GE doesnt give the whole side of the story) as well as information as to when most of these private housing units were built (Recently or duning the supposed "communist"-era?)

To be more specific, I'm talking about these type of residential areas

Belgrade

Skopje

Almost any response would be helpful :)

·
Banned
300 Posts
many were built in the early 80s during the economic boom in yugoslavia...many were builid to house workers in the factories nearby.

here are some close-up fotos:

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
were they privately owned?

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
i don´t know what is he taliking about but those houses are privatly owned and were built by ppl. Factories, economic boom etc. have nothing to do with that and that pictuer u posted doesn´t represent tipical house

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
^^

I agree. For Skopje there was a steady expansion of this type of hoods all the way through communism. Houses were privately owned. Expansion especially came in the post quake era and through incorporating already existant satelite settlements of this type around the city. I got no pics with examples though

·
Space Lord
1,008 Posts
I live in a house, in a block just like the one from the Belgrade and Skopje photo's. People bought individual lots, and bult their own houses, I know because my parents did it. They took out a loan and built it. It was around 1978, I think. The state and/or the factories had nothing to do with it

·
Banned
2,233 Posts
For Skopje, like dewrob said, expansion of such houses, suburbs really took off after the 1963 earth quake, where as far as i know, a lot of western nations really helped rebuild and build entire new suburbs. So i guess that could be an explanation as to why they appear western looking. I think some of Skopje's suburbs have names whose origin are from those countries. They're all privately owned...however a lot of people were given those barracks that were installed after the earthquake, hence the land and they would have built upon that or just something entirely new, as well as apartments too.

Those pics BL ^^ just posted are the new fashion, they're the same as in Macedonia:)

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
For Skopje, like dewrob said, expansion of such houses, suburbs really took off after the 1963 earth quake, where as far as i know, a lot of western nations really helped rebuild and build entire new suburbs. So i guess that could be an explanation as to why they appear western looking. I think some of Skopje's suburbs have names whose origin are from those countries. They're all privately owned...however a lot of people were given those barracks that were installed after the earthquake, hence the land and they would have built upon that or just something entirely new, as well as apartments too.

Those pics BL ^^ just posted are the new fashion, they're the same as in Macedonia:)
the baracks after the quake were just temps, they were basically trailor houses to accomodate the people cause 85-90% of the structures of the city were completely leveled. 90% of those barracks are gone today meanwhile they were replaced by real houses which were investment of the residents of Skopje. Still many streets are named after countries/cities which helped Skopje in those harsh times.

·
Banned
2,233 Posts
^^Well here they are when the craze took off heh (thanks to Realek for posting it a while back;))

As for close ups Krasnaya, those type of photos seem to be a bit harder to come by i think...i've just got these few i found

Just in the west

North east

Ohrid too, Ohrid has some really nice suburban houses

·
it's always the same
714 Posts
Sofia has quite a lot of this suburbs with privatly owned houses built during commie times too.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts

Some of them are newer, but mostly they are older houses, pre-war time.

I think that western help for rebuilding houses has nothing to do with that how in whole yugolavia houses look like, it is maybe case for skopje but not for all other towns.
And houses are similar if not the same in whole former country, except seaside.
It is just tipical ex-yu way of building houses.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
In USSR we couldn't own anything, everything was state owned. You could "rent" the land from the state, but they could take it away anytime they wanted to.

:(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.