SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to move from Toronto to BC for college soon And I'd like to live in an apartment out there similar to Cityplace Matrix here in Toronto..I like pretty much all of the Cityplace buildings actually. But my problem is I dont know any buildings out there and I havent ever moved somewhere else before for college like this..So how do I rent a place before I get there? Can I do that online somehow?

Any help would be appreciated..thank you!!

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the link...I find it kind of tough trying to find what I'm looking for using that search system though...This is my first time ever renting a place..So I thought I had found a place I was realy happy with using your link all this time. It was this http://www.austeville.com/rental_properties/bayshoreoutlook.asp

But I didn't know about periodic and fixed leases at all. I always thought when I saw a place listing it's rental price per month that all I had to do was pay for each month or a few months in advance. I didn't know that i would have to pay for an entire years worth of rent at all. So now Im kind of devastated because I have to be in school in 10 days or so and I dont have a place to live out there. Is there any way you can help me locate a place that uses periodic leases? It would be unbelievably helpful!!! Thank you!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
leases

most places like you to sign a 1 year lease, but due to the current rental shortage, as long as you give your landlord 30 days notice to vacate you shouldnt have problems renting for a school term.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know of any places where that would be available? I asked Bayshore Outlook if I could pay for 4 months rent and they said no. You have to rent for 1 year minimum. It was at that moment that I learned about periodic and fixed leases.

thank you for any help!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
a little white lie might be in order

Do you know of any places where that would
be available? I asked Bayshore Outlook if I could pay for 4 months rent and they said no. You have to rent for 1 year minimum. It was at that moment that I learned about periodic and fixed leases.

thank you for any help!!
as i said most places really dont enforce the i year lease, if say a family emergency required your return to toronto. enjoy your stay

·
Registered
38 Posts
You mean you just sign a contract for a year but you pay month by month?
actually you put down a damage deposit, half a months rent and the first months rent, then you move in. how complicated is that.you must still live at home, and what are they teaching people in school that relates to the real world

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
in BC most places will make sign a one year lease

when you move in you must pay 1/2 months rent and than a full months rent - the 1/2 month is a damage deposit that you will get back when you move out

leases can be negotiated if you explain you are an out of town student and only want it for 10 months they may work with you

usually once a lease is over they will let you live there month to month ie no lease term

so you do not pay the whole lease upfront, you pay it monthly but are responsible for the lease term ie the year so if you move out 2 months early you may be on the hook for the last two months and they can attach it to your credit report that you skipped out kind of thing

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know but Im going to be living in Vancouver somewhere. The College Im going to is Capilano College. I am looking to live in an apartment similar to this...

http://www.austeville.com/rental_properties/bayshoreoutlook.asp

the rent there is $1500 a month..which is about the most I can afford..and it comes with everything Im looking for in an apartment..unfortunately..there arent any places to rent there right now so Im going to have to find a different place...But I haven't been able to find anything..can you or someone else help me find an apartment that offers similar features and is about the same price a month $1500? it would be really helpful thank you!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
go to canada.com, and look up classifieds in the vancouver sun or province newspapers. check out the north vancouver rental listings {cap college is in north van}. 1500.00 is a great budget. youll be able to find 1 or 2 bedroom suites from 700.00 per month and up.forget rental agencies. use your phone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the website I used to find the apartment on the link that I posted. It was the only one that had pictures included. Every listing that comes up on that site has no images at all. And there's no way I can move into somewhere completely blind. It doesn't have to be in North Vancouver either. Can you name some nice apartment buildings in Vancouver that have rent for around $1500 so I can look on their website and see pictures?

·
Registered
38 Posts
no, i use the newspaper. pictures can be very misleading. if you can afford 1500 a month come here a few days earlier check into a hotel and make like the locals and use your legs.

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
well unless you have a car transit to the north shore isn't the best

all i can advise is create a list - come a few weeks early and camp out at a hostel and find a place that way

most people i know have found their places by walking around in the neighbourhood they want to live in - all the buildings put up all the details on the door when a suite is up for rent or at least a phone number to call

or craigslist - most have pictures now and a lot of the high end condos that rent out advertise on there and they start around your budget - those are the kind we working folk usually gawk at ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.