1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I need your input. Seriously.

Details can be found in this thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=104221

Please, don't tell me that you think it looks good. I know some people around here have, er, "questionable" taste, but this is over the top. Please tell me I'm right and it should be remodeled (even if it is in Cheektowaga).

Please tell me that this crap isn't still popular here. Please tell me that the people I have talked to are dumb and/or Polish. Please.

Discuss amongst yourselves while I watch hockey.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
^bro of course you have to remodel the inside...it looks like the 70s in there. And nice job creating a potential bash Buffalo thread over on SSP, and nice poll options. Apparently Buffalonians have terrible taste, and 70s decorations in houses are still "in" here.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Cheektowaga (as well as homes in other areas that I've been in) it sure seems like that's the case :tongue3:

I would die before putting a huge, obnoxious lamp in the middle of the living room window though... eep.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Glad to see you got a splitlevel' i've always thought of them as the perfect house style; we lived in a split level in Rochester. lol. Of course, in Suburban Rochester and Buffalo, your choices are basically split levels and raised ranches.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I grew up in Kenmore and never saw a home like that until college when I met my girlfriend (from Depew). I always thought homes should look like what you'd see in Kenmore or North Buffalo.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Westgate...the corner of Westgate and Eugene. My park was Mang Park. My ice cream shop was the DQ on Elmwood or the Baskin Robbins on Delaware. My drugstore was Fayes (now Eckerd) on Elmwood. My hospital was Kenmore Mercy. My elementary school and church were St. Pauls.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
DallasTexan said:
...Please tell me that this crap isn't still popular here. Please tell me that the people I have talked to are dumb and/or Polish...
Now, now...

Buying a house in the Land of the Crabapple Tree and not expecting Polish decor is probably similar to buying a house in Tucson and not expecting stucco...

But yeah, the lamps are insidious, and the heavily worn railings either need rehab or demolition. The purple bath...well I suppose the bathroom is the one room where you can get away with purple, but personally I don't like it.

I don't care for the exterior awnings either. If that were me buying that house, those would be gone before I first entered the door as homeowner.

That sidewalk out front looks like a doozie too. Though I did enjoy riding my bike over those growing up.

As for the Birmingham apartment, I don't care for the living room lighting, and the look is too spartan. But what do you want in an apartment...

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nostyle, that looks like my friend Katie's house. She grew up off of Winspear and Main. Even though it's not filled with 70s funk, I bet it has lots O tacky collectibles and lace in it :D

sarge, I'll be getting all of that taken care of - I'm surprised the city doesn't take care of it, but it's the homeowner's problem.

Awnings? GONE.

Trust me, with me in charge, the house will be the best in the neighborhood :D

Too bad I don't have pictures of my apartment when I finished getting it decorated.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Yeah, sidewalks are iffy. Personally I think they should do a better job maintaining them, especially in the winter. I know in Concord, NH (and I'm sure it's the same in Buffalo and everywhere it snows for that matter) it's the property owner's responsibility to keep them clear of snow. Well first of all, they're in the right-of-way. Secondly, what if you have a bunch of seniors living on a street? Are they supposed to shovel?

And you say Buffalo has old people. Take a trip to Concord. Nursing homes are sprouting like weeds, I'd say it's at least half the development going on there.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Dallas, I'm confused. Who is Sulley? Is that your partner?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope, I'm Sulley - please, I have taste :D

I was DT at SSP until I decided to change my name several times (I have quite a bit of clout there). I've stuck with Sulley though because it's been my nickname in real life since 2001.

Let's see...

At SSP, I've been known as DallasTexan, DT, Vulcan, Boomer, DhallassTecksanne, and Disceaux Fantasia.

:D

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the last two names... I didn't pick. I lost a bet with the head admin and he renamed me that for a month :D

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
And I'm sure you were horribly disappointed....

·
Registered
841 Posts
nostyle, that looks like my friend Katie's house. She grew up off of Winspear and Main.
That's University Heights, right? Beautiful area that's been hit hard by the college student effect. High rental %, low appreciation, low pride in ownership or community involvement leading to a declining neighborhood...none-the-less, beautiful homes.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Home ownership needs to rise in a lot of cities. It's only 40% in Rochester and 42% in Buffalo. All of those beautiful mansions Buffalo has, a lot, maybe most of them are probably split up into multi unit rentals. Home ownership=home pride=more attractive streets and neighborhoods.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts