Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. This is my first post, so hopefully I'm not treading over any rules by making this thread (and if I am, I would very much appreciate the post being relocated to where it better belongs).

After viewing images of flying buttresses, I've been curious if there is a term for the decorative projections coming out of some of them. They can be seen on the buttresses here (source is Wikipedia), for the Milan Cathedral, and are capped by small floral renderings.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:20110724_Milan_Cathedral_5299.jpg

The closest term I can find seems to be "crocket." Is that it? I wasn't sure, since it seemed important that the form on a crocket be curved, sort of like a curling leaf, whereas the ones on the relevant image are straight. Of course, the Milan Cathedral's might be an exception.

Thanks for any help!

·
MRouchell
143 Posts
Hello, all. This is my first post, so hopefully I'm not treading over any rules by making this thread (and if I am, I would very much appreciate the post being relocated to where it better belongs).

After viewing images of flying buttresses, I've been curious if there is a term for the decorative projections coming out of some of them. They can be seen on the buttresses here (source is Wikipedia), for the Milan Cathedral, and are capped by small floral renderings.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:20110724_Milan_Cathedral_5299.jpg

The closest term I can find seems to be "crocket." Is that it? I wasn't sure, since it seemed important that the form on a crocket be curved, sort of like a curling leaf, whereas the ones on the relevant image are straight. Of course, the Milan Cathedral's might be an exception.

Thanks for any help!
I haven't seen these decorations before. Crockets might be a good term to use. Typically, flying buttresses will have pinnacle located over the top of the pier. The purpose of the pinnacle is to provide additional weight on top of the pier to counter the lateral thrust of the flying buttresses. The pinnacles are capped with elongated pyramids shaped points. Crockets are ball shaped leaf forms that align the ridges or hips of the pyramids.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts