SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I begin, I want to make clear that I don't mean any disrespect to anyone here in asking this question.

So I just came back from the supermarket and while I was paying for my groceries, the cashier asked me if I would like to donate some small amount of money to a charity that feeds the poor. I paid the money and this got me thinking.

The Saudi prince who was just arrested in London is one of ~5,000 (!) Saudi royals who receive any annual stipend equal to or exceeding $200,000. And I am sure in places like Abu Dhabi and Dubai and Qatar it's probably the same thing. In addition, hundreds of billions of dollars are spent each year on the construction of 5 star hotels and various white elephant projects (my opinion) and furthermore, many more billions are spent constructing mosques and madrassas around the world. But what I don't understand is if there is so much money in the Gulf countries, then why are there even poor and hungry people in the Middle East or even in the Arabian peninsula? Isn't Zakāt
one of the 5 pillars of Islam? I understand that some people will say that "there is only so much money to go around" or that "the construction of mosques and madrassas around the world IS an act of Zakāt", but if there are so many starving, disease-ridden, uneducated, unemployed, destitute people across the Muslim world (and even in the Middle East), then how is it possible to justify the construction of Mosques and madrassah's, for instance, "at the expense of" these peoples' lives? I guess what I don't understand is that if there is so much wealth in the Gulf countries, how is it possible that there still exists poverty anywhere on the Arabian peninsula?

Note: I have nothing against the construction of Mosques and madrassah's; but I question the priority of doing this when many people in the communities served by these facilities live in abject poverty. My question isn't worded exactly as I would like it to be, but I hope my point is clear.

·
Banned
234 Posts
You know Saudis are afraid of Iran and the dense atmosphere of western interest about their nuclear programme.

So they decide better to invest in weapons than rather to help poor people.

We can take the Pakistan Flood as example

Turkey is the country who sent the most help to Pakistan while the Gulf States are sleeping or were to late with laughable donation numbers.

·
Registered
899 Posts
They are very corrupt societies.
The Saudi Arabian government is not a very efficient government. With all their money the country still has got quite low literacy rates. If they can't even get their kids into school then I doubt they can eradicate poverty. I have no idea what Kuwait and Qatar are like though, but I don't think poverty is that much there is it?? I do not think they have such an issue with poverty.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Well the new university projects of the Saudis are incredible.But the real question is about the quality of education than the quality of the building

===> http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=65849603#post65849603

But a monarch in generel don´t want to educate his population,because he has fear about his own independant status.
It is that and a lot more. The Arab world is not united but is highly divided. There is unity in the Arab world on just one isssue - Israel.

·
3,839 Posts
lol i don't think there is unity on the Israel issue! Do you think Egypt and Jordon and the Palestinian Authority have the same stance on Israel as Syria and Saudi Arabia?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
You know Saudis are afraid of Iran and the dense atmosphere of western interest about their nuclear programme.

So they decide better to invest in weapons than rather to help poor people.

We can take the Pakistan Flood as example

Turkey is the country who sent the most help to Pakistan while the Gulf States are sleeping or were to late with laughable donation numbers.

at least get your facts right ,,

As of 17 September 2010, Saudi Arabia has allocated more than US $361.99 million for the relief operation, topping the list of all donating countries: US $105.29 million donated by the Saudi Government, US $14.7 million donated by the Saudi Fund for Development, and US $242 million collected through Saudi Public Fund Relief.[188] Saudi Arabia released a statement announcing the establishment of an air-bridge to ferry relief-supplies to Pakistan. As of August 30, relief goods worth USD 40 million had been delivered and some USD 67 million worth of relief goods were in the pipeline; USD 5.3 million had been handed over to National Disaster Management Authority – NDMA Pakistan in cash. Two 100-bed mobile hospitals were also donated by the Saudi Government to the flood victims.[189]
Turkey has donated US$ 5 million to Pakistan initially, in addition to 115 tonnes of humanitarian aid consisting of food packages, blankets, sleeping bags and beds delivered to Pakistan Red Crescent Society.[138][203] By 18 August, Turkey has donated more than US$11 million and issued a rallying cry and launched a large-scale relief effort for flood-ravaged Pakistan.[204][205]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Pakistan_floods

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
i want to see a statement or something that shows me what has been spent on constructing mosques in this year or at least the last 5 years.

·
Banned
234 Posts

lol wikipedia

Turkey totally collected over 200 million Turkish Lira for Pakistan (about 120 million dollars !!)

Amount of Turkish aid for Pakistan nears 200 mln TL

Nearly 188 million Turkish Liras have been collected in three separate aid campaigns launched in Turkey in an effort to help flood-hit Pakistan.
Tuesday, 28 September 2010 12:14

Nearly 188 million Turkish Liras (TL) have been collected in three separate aid campaigns launched in Turkey in an effort to help flood-hit Pakistan (One U.S. dollar equals 1.47 TL).

According to a statement released by the Turkish Directorate General for Disaster and Emergency Management, as of Monday, a total of 187.7 million TL have been collected in the aid campaigns launched by Turkey's Prime Ministry, Directorate General of Religious Affairs and Turkish Radio and Television Corporation (TRT).

The statement said 82.9 million TL have been collected in the prime ministry campaign, while the religious affairs authority has collected 102.3 million TL and state-run TRT has raised 2.4 million TL.

Floods, caused by Monsoon rains, have killed thousands of people and left millions homeless in Pakistan.

As many as 17 million acres of farm land have been submerged and billions of dollars of crops destroyed, Pakistani authorities announced earlier.

So far, Turkey has sent an $10 million financial aid and 244 tons of relief support that included vaccines, medicine, medical stuff.

Turkey has also sent a 42-member medical team, two fully equipped mobile hospitals, an ambulance, and a 4x4 truck for medical rescue efforts.
http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=64483

http://www.onepakistan.com/news/nat...d-for-flood-hit-pakistan-nears-200mln-tl.html

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
lol i don't think there is unity on the Israel issue! Do you think Egypt and Jordon and the Palestinian Authority have the same stance on Israel as Syria and Saudi Arabia?
I knew that somebody would bring it up. Egypt is receiving almost $2B in US aid. Its peace with Israel, if you can call it peace, is highly tenuous. Jordan is receiving water from Israel. In fact, it is receiving more water from Israel than specified in the peace agreement with Israel. Therefore, both Egypt and Jordan don't just have peace with Israel but peace with benefits.

1. Do you trust your friends who get the benefits from you? If you stop giving them the benefits would they still be your friends?

2. Do the Arab dictatorships view the agreements as something permanent or something tactical?

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
They are very corrupt societies.
The Saudi Arabian government is not a very efficient government. With all their money the country still has got quite low literacy rates. If they can't even get their kids into school then I doubt they can eradicate poverty. I have no idea what Kuwait and Qatar are like though, but I don't think poverty is that much there is it?? I do not think they have such an issue with poverty.
Low literacy numbers? Can't get their kids to school? Man, you're such a mess.
~50 years ago the major bulk of Saudi societies couldn't differentiate between Arabic letters while now the literacy rate in Saudi Arabia is at 85.0 higher than those of Syria, Iran, Oman and Tunisia to name a few.
To achieve this the Government you ignorantly accused of unefficiency worked and is still working very hard, sending teachers to isolated villages and mountainous areas, offering all types of education for free, giving financial incentives for students to complete their higher education, sending students to countries that have already excelled in education, opening universities in every region and improving their standards to the point that there are two Saudi universities (KSU and KFUPM) featured on world rankings with Saudi Arabia being the only Arab country to have achieved that.

·
Registered
442 Posts
because they are the biggest hypocrits on earth.

·
Dreams of Babylon Rising
8,848 Posts
There is poverty in Israel as well, and one can argue you that Israel is a reasonably wealthy country....

Infact, there are poor people in every country, why on earth do you assume that the Arabian peninsula should be any different? This is a world problem not an "arab problem"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts