SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Questions about Morocco II

133K views 71 replies 21 participants last post by  A380B747A340B777 
#1 · (Edited)
1/ Where is Morocco on the map?

In north-western Africa, bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the west, the Strait of Gibraltar, the Alboran Sea and the Mediterranean Sea to the north, Algeria to the east and Mauritania to the south.

2/ What does the moroccan flag look like? and what does it mean?

Red has considerable historic significance in Morocco, proclaiming the descent of the royal family from the Prophet Muhammad via Fatima, the wife of Ali, the fourth Caliph. Red is also the color that was used by the Sherifs of Mecca and the Imams of Yemen. From the 17th century on, when Morocco was ruled by the Hassani Dynasty, the flags of the country were plain red. In 1915, during the reign of Mulay Yusuf, the green Seal of Solomon was added to the national flag. The Seal is an interlaced pentangle, used as a symbol in occult law for centuries. While Morocco was under French and Spanish control, the red flag with the seal in the center remained in use- but only inland. Its use at sea was prohibited. When independence was restored in 1956, it once again became the national flag.

The 6-pointed star used in the Moroccan flag is also known as the Seal of Solomon (Sulaïman in Arabic) or the Star of David. However, it was not chosen to be on the Moroccan flag for that reason, since the 6-pointed star is a symbol of life, wisdom and good health common to all three major monotheistic religions. The Seal of Solomon was also stamped on the 100 and 200 francs coins as well as on some Makhzen stamps until 1954

The new star was best adapted to the country's religion and faith since the 5 branches could symbolize the 5 pillars of Islam. The Moroccan flag is also used by Moorish-Americans of the Moorish Science Temple of America.

3/ When did Morocco become a country?

Morocco as a state is existing since the year 788, when Idriss 1st was proclaimed king at Volubilis

4/ What does "Morocco" mean?

The full Arabic name is al-Mamlaka al-Maġribiyya translates to "The Western Kingdom." Al-Maġrib (meaning "The West") is commonly used. For historical references, medieval Arab historians and geographers used to refer to Morocco as Al-Maghrib al Aqşá ("The Farthest West").

The Latinized name "Morocco" originates from medieval Latin "Morroch," which referred to the name of the former Almoravid and Almohad capital, Marrakech. The Persians straightforwardly call it "Marrakech" while the Turks call it "Fas" which comes from the ancient Idrisid and Marinid capital, Fès.

The word "Marrakech" is presumably derived from the Berber word Mur-Akush, meaning Land of God.

5/ Why morocco is called le "royaume cherifien" (The Sharifian Kingdom)?

Primarily Sunnis in the Arab world reserve the term sharif for descendants of Hasan ibn Ali, while sayyid is used for descendants of Husayn ibn Ali. Both Hasan and Husayn are grandchildren of Muhammad (sas), through the marriage of his cousin Ali and his daughter Fatima. However ever since the post-Hashemite era began, the term sayyid has been used to denote descendants from both Hasan and Husayn. Arab Shiites use the terms sayyid and habib to denote descendants from both Hasan and Husayn; see also ashraf.

Idriss Ist, the founder of the Moroccan state as a sharif Shiite was persecuted by the Abbasids and fled to the Maghreb in 786, where he founded the first Shiite Independant State.

Later, the Saadian dynasty who ruled Morocco from 1509 to 1554, claimed descent from Prophet Muhammad (sas) through the line of Ali ibn Abi Talib and Fatima Zahra (Prophet Muhammad's daughter (as)). They claimed sharifian origins through an ancestor from Yanbu and rendered Sufism respectable in Morocco.

Today the Alaouites, the current Moroccan royal family, claim descent from Prophet Muhammad (sas) through the line of Fāṭimah az-Zahrah, Muhammad's daughter (as) , and her husband, the Fourth Caliph ‘Alī ibn Abī Ṭālib (as).

6/ What is the capital of Morocco?

Rabat is the capital city of morocco.

7/ What is the largest city of Morocco?

Casablanca is the economical capital of Morocco with ~5 millions inhabitants

8/ What is the climate in Morocco?

Morocco's climate is moderate and subtropical, cooled by breezes off the Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean. In the interior the temperatures are more extreme, winters can be fairly cold and the summers very hot (up to 50°). Marrakech has an average winter temperature of 21°C (70°F) and summer temperature of 100°F (38°C). In the Atlas Mountains temperatures can drop below zero (up to -21°) and mountain peaks are snow capped throughout most of the year. The winter in the north of the country is wet and rainy, while in the south, at the edge of the Moroccan Sahara, it is dry and bitterly cold.

See less See more
#3 ·
Primarily Sunnis in the Arab world reserve the term sharif for descendants of Hasan ibn Ali, while sayyid is used for descendants of Husayn ibn Ali. Both Hasan and Husayn are grandchildren of Muhammad (sas), through the marriage of his cousin Ali and his daughter Fatima. However ever since the post-Hashemite era began, the term sayyid has been used to denote descendants from both Hasan and Husayn. Arab Shiites use the terms sayyid and habib to denote descendants from both Hasan and Husayn; see also ashraf.

Idriss Ist, the founder of the Moroccan state as a sharif Shiite was persecuted by the Abbasids and fled to the Maghreb in 786, where he founded the first Shiite Independant State.

Later, the Saadian dynasty who ruled Morocco from 1509 to 1554, claimed descent from Prophet Muhammad (sas) through the line of Ali ibn Abi Talib and Fatima Zahra (Prophet Muhammad's daughter (as)). They claimed sharifian origins through an ancestor from Yanbu and rendered Sufism respectable in Morocco.

Today the Alaouites, the current Moroccan royal family, claim descent from Prophet Muhammad (sas) through the line of Fāṭimah az-Zahrah, Muhammad's daughter (as) , and her husband, the Fourth Caliph ‘Alī ibn Abī Ṭālib (as).

#5 ·
Moroccan music!?

Hi all :)

Can somebody help me find Moroccan music, especially wedding music? I love it. For example: Ismail beloush - Waya mouray nesh is absolutely awesome. I found it today. This is exactly the type of music I like. I hope somebody is able to help. Thanks in advance!

#7 ·
Hi all :)

Can somebody help me find Moroccan music, especially wedding music? I love it. For example: Ismail beloush - Waya mouray nesh is absolutely awesome. I found it today. This is exactly the type of music I like. I hope somebody is able to help. Thanks in advance!
You wants berber or arabic ones?

#8 ·
I know cheb riahi

Oukaddi group

By the way I don't like this kind of music (except the reggada one):lol:

Reggada from Rif

#14 ·
I like this one (a berber one)

I've heard it in a wedding

#19 ·
Both are berber songs from the mediterranean coast of morocco.

the same music but the words are diffrent

#17 ·
This is CHAABI music which is for moroccans what Country is for Americans:lol::lol:

#28 ·
ya you're right moroccanchica , the song in the second video is not a lebanese song.
i didn't like the dancer if you want my opinion. if you want classy and feminine dancers, you have to see this, her name is samia jamal if you don't know her:

#35 ·
Abha Samia Gamal is legendary. You didn't like Yousra Hanem (The Lebanese Belly dancer)? I thought she was graceful. And yes I like Didem as well. She's just magnificent.

Metsada you liked Moroccan music? That's very nice to hear :) It's not that internationally famous and I thought only Moroccans are used to the beat. I am not sure which type of music you prefer. If you go to this link

http://www.moroccanmp3.com/modules.php?name=music_echoben

Then go to Chabi and then BenHass you'd find a few songs I like.

But you probably heard a lot of Riffi Music (Berber from the North). You can go to the same link

http://www.moroccanmp3.com/modules.php?name=music_echoben

And choose Rifiya...and then you could browse.

#38 ·
^^Interesting. It's nice that Morocco has such a wide and diverse range of music culture. My type of music is "azi rebhar aghiri" by Said Mariwari for example, or "imredin yemas". It brings a big smile on my face :) Unfortunately, most people don't seem to like what I like..

#40 ·
Said Mariouari & Milouda - Ya Wafae Wafae

Gaâ Gaâ ya Zoubida (A typical Rifi song)

Cheb Kader

just for Metsada.

I love this kind of songs too, specially the second one

#48 ·
Need some help for photo of Jorf-lasfar industrial park

Hello,

I'm a civil engineer in Thailand, now I'm doing a report related to the industrial plant constructions in Morocco, especially in Jorf-larfar industrial park.

Would you all who has any photo or data related to my topic, any photo that can show the general local practice and formwork that they using when construction, please provide me some photo, data or website, would be very thankful.

Thank you for your kind,:)

Pound

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.