SkyscraperCity banner

2041 - 2060 of 7535 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,330 Posts
Quick pronunciation question - We're organising a works night along the Ouseburn, and no-one could decide how the 'Ouse' is pronounced. Some pronounce it to rhyme with 'mouse', some to rhyme with 'cruise'. One lass even thinks it rhymes with 'mews', but she's from Manchester and not to be trusted.....which is it? Is there a definitive answer even?
Of course historically it was Ewesburn.

I always pronounce it as Ooze Burn.

·
Modern Antiquarian
834 Posts
Quick pronunciation question - We're organising a works night along the Ouseburn, and no-one could decide how the 'Ouse' is pronounced. Some pronounce it to rhyme with 'mouse', some to rhyme with 'cruise'. One lass even thinks it rhymes with 'mews', but she's from Manchester and not to be trusted.....which is it? Is there a definitive answer even?
ooze - burn

·
Registered
20,822 Posts

Assuming you're to drink alcohol

BOOZE BURN

KEBN

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Cheers all - I think the common consensus has given us the answer, and though Im tempted to go with Steve's historically-correct 'Ewesburn', Ken's 'Boozeburn' wins on this occasion!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cattle Market photos

Hi :)

Iam curious to find out if anyone out there knows of any photos of the Old Cattle Market that used to be by Marlborough Crescent ? I would love to see any old pics ... so far all that seems to have cropped up is an old undated postcard. Also does anyone know when the Cattle Market actually closed down ?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated !

·
13,075 Posts
Iam curious to find out if anyone out there knows of any photos of the Old Cattle Market that used to be by Marlborough Crescent ? I would love to see any old pics ... so far all that seems to have cropped up is an old undated postcard. Also does anyone know when the Cattle Market actually closed down ?

in another thread:

The replacement of the Municipal Slaughterhouse at Marlborough Crescent by the Scotswood abbatoir was being discussed (at least) as early as the mid 1950s, and Dan Smith was on that committee even while Labour was in opposition (pre-1958). If construction began in 1966, then the decision would certainly have been made while TDS was council leader (1959-65).
and

This is a scan from the 1914 OS map which shows both the Cattle and Sheep Markets on Scotswood Road and Marlborough Crescent respectively. If you look to the top left of the Cattle Market you will see the Slaughter Houses.

Photograph from the Newcastle City Libraries Archive Collection:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4090333767/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks DXNewcatle for attaching the correct picture link to my post. Had thought the whole link with two pictures would add....but they didn't!

Anyway - yes the picture you added taken in 2007 was certainly the Police Stables. Looming back at the picture of the Apple Tree Inn - it looks very similar. Where exactly was it if it wasn't laterly the stables?
I remember Jesmond Dene House being opposite the stables, but for the life of me I can't recall anything at all going on there!!
Was it a private house during the early 1980's or ran as a buisness? I was obviouly working too hard shoveling ...t to notice :)

There was also some sort of allotments behind the stables, though I don't think they had any connection to Jesmond Dene House.

Regards
Helen

·
Super Moderator
22,239 Posts
Hi :)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated !

Hi,

The very best way to find out if there is any information about a given subject on this forum, is to search the INDEX THREAD, one of the "Sticky" threads, at the top of the forum.

It is arranged in alphabetical order, by subject, so "just think of your subject" and look it up, and if there is more than one 'name/description' for it, look under each permutation of the name that you can think of.

Under "C" for Cattle Market, I have reproduced a small copy extract from the Index Thread, below . . .

C

Ca

CATTLE MARKET, NEAR CENTRAL STATION . . .

The Cattle Market as it looked many years ago
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=53154073&postcount=833
Old Map of the Cattle Market area, showing the nearby Slaughterhouses
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=83900790&postcount=1646
Cattle Market - 1950s Plans for Hotel / Multi Storey Car Park / Helicopter Terminal / Bus Station (Newcastle as it might have been)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=56010227&postcount=324
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=56151203&postcount=328
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=56215499&postcount=329

There are probably other posters on here who will also provide you with 'new information' on this Questions Thread, not already on the forum, which will (in due course) be 'linked' from the Index Thread, which is how the sum of recorded knowledge on this forum keeps increasing!

Hope you find what you want to know.

·
Super Moderator
22,239 Posts
Thanks DXNewcatle for attaching the correct picture link to my post. Had thought the whole link with two pictures would add....but they didn't!

Looking back at the picture of the Apple Tree Inn - it looks very similar. Where exactly was it if it wasn't laterly the stables?

Regards
Helen

The Apple Tree Inn was at the bottom of Reid Park Road, at it's junction with Jesmond Dene Road, see these posts here (extract from Index Thread) . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi and thankyou very much for your guidance and help ! There is some really useful information there re the cattle market ... This website in general is a trully great resource :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi and thankyou for the cattle market postcard image and the 1914 map ! The map in particular is very interesting ... for a start I was unaware there were "two" seperate markets one for cattle the other for sheep and pigs.

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts
Looking for some info about land uses around Crawhall Road/Coquet Street area. From what I've read years ago, there used to be leather works etc, and a fire station to the east of Crawhall Road, and a school to the west where St Dominic's Church is.

Also, did there used to be a bridge across the railway between Stoddart Street and Clarenece Street?

·
13,075 Posts
Looking for some info about land uses around Crawhall Road/Coquet Street area. From what I've read years ago, there used to be leather works etc, and a fire station to the east of Crawhall Road, and a school to the west where St Dominic's Church is.

Also, did there used to be a bridge across the railway between Stoddart Street and Clarenece Street?
Wards of 1890 doesn t list Coquet Street at all but lists a Crawhall terrace, starting at city rd. The occupants are predominantly stevedores etc. Obviously the Tannners is a reference to the leatherworks. I seem to remember Eric L telling me other pub names from the area which had that sort of connection.

To confuse things Kellys of 1902 says:

Coquet St. Crawhall Rd to Railway [that s it]

Crawhall Terrace. See City Rd

Crawhall rd [late Elswick's lane]...
There is a fire and police station between Coquet st and Stepney st to the South of Coquet then a grocer and shopkeeper.

Crawhall Tce is listed as 'see City rd'.

Looking at the Elswick's lane reference, Wards 1890 does have an Elswicks lane in the same location [using start and end point] and the reference to Hardy Robson Timber merchants - which in both directories stretches from No 10. So looks like the name changed between 1890 and 1902.

Kelleys Map lists CrAwhall as CrOwhall.

There is a school behind St Dom's to the S in 02, but on the same plot. Quite large, same sort of footprint as the church.

As to the bridge. Stoddart isn t there in 02, the layout is more complex. Clarence St is called Ridley St from New Bridge to Copland Tce/Shieldfield Rd. This 02 map might help with bridges and the lay of the land.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Very interesting map!
In the top left corner is that "Temperance Row" whats that about?
In the bottom right at the number 4 it says "Egypt something" I have fingers crossed that Steve or NH will come in with the proper full story of how the "Egypt Cottage" got it's name! Next to it is a chapel what became of it?
While we are in the vicinity how about a picture of the Jubilee School that might have been by John Dobson and was next to the Keelman's (hence Jubilee Lodge?)
I had always assumed that Crawhall Road was named after the first Joseph Crawhall who had a rope business in St Ann's.

2041 - 2060 of 7535 Posts