SkyscraperCity banner

3941 - 3960 of 7499 Posts

·
13,008 Posts
I know I keep banging on about my ancestors, the Barningham's, but would anyone have any photographs of a stable/barn they used to own down on the Quayside between where the law courts are now and Skinnerburn Road? As far as I know it didn't have their name over the door. It wasn't a grand affair, some would call it a hut, and they kept a horse there overnight which used to pull the coal cart (this was in the days before they bought a wagon for their coal). They lived in East Parade, Elswick during the 40's/50's any photographs out there??
You might want to try google earth's historic imagery. You could get an overhead view if it was there in mid '45

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
I know I keep banging on about my ancestors, the Barningham's, but would anyone have any photographs of a stable/barn they used to own down on the Quayside between where the law courts are now and Skinnerburn Road? As far as I know it didn't have their name over the door. It wasn't a grand affair, some would call it a hut, and they kept a horse there overnight which used to pull the coal cart (this was in the days before they bought a wagon for their coal). They lived in East Parade, Elswick during the 40's/50's any photographs out there??
Helen, that's quite a long area of the Quayside that you are looking for - perhaps it would be worth your while having a search through the images on the Newcastle City Libraries Archive Collection on Flickr - this link will pull up all photographs for that area - http://www.flickr.com/search/[email protected]&q=quayside

Try this one for Elswick - http://www.flickr.com/search/[email protected]&q=elswick

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
John Clayton

When John Clayton was the town clerk where did he live and work?
Not sure where he lived but certainly in 1834 (source Pigots) he is shown as Town Clerk and also in partnership with his brother Matthew as Solicitors at the Guildhall.

By 1855 they have a practice both at the Guildhall and at Fenkle Street.

1879 has John Clayton at Westgate House, Fenkle Street, wonder if this was his home?

1883 has him at Fenkle Street and Chesters - by then he had gained the Chesters Estate

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
John Clayton

When John Clayton was the town clerk where did he live and work?
Came across this clipping from the Jack Phillips Collection, originates from the Eldon's Gossip feature that appeared in the Evening Chronicle of Thursday, September 20, 1956.

The article confirms that Westgate House was the residence of Clayton, described in the article as a mansion and demolished in 1956.

Image hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Is there anything commemorating John Clayton apart from the street names?
Clayton is a sorely underestimated force in Newcastle. Richard Grainger's vision of Newcastle would not really have been possible without Clayton's assistance. Unfortunately, apart from the street name, there is little else in his remembrance.

Steve

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Clayton is a sorely underestimated force in Newcastle. Richard Grainger's vision of Newcastle would not really have been possible without Clayton's assistance. Unfortunately, apart from the street name, there is little else in his remembrance.

Steve
Of course the same can be said of Richard Grainger and John Dobson, so instrumental in the City we have today but no statues raised to them.

Course it makes a 'mockery' of the situation when you take into account Grey's Monument was erected and Newcastle Town Council didn't want it in the Town, Grey himself was a Northumbrian and didn't even like Newcastle, evident by the fact he didn't even attend its opening.

I suppose Grainger does have a memorial as such, the drinking fountain on Waterloo Street which was paid for by his sister - also a plaque in St John's Church and the Grainger Dedication by Charlie Holmes & Ian Ness in the roadway outside of the western entrance to The Central Arcade.

Of course it is often said the buildings we see today in Grainger Town are testament enough to the men who made it.

·
Banned
1,465 Posts
I used to work in Madison's Bar on Leazes Lane a couple of years ago. It's next to and attached to Soho bar and the Hyena Comedy club. Does anyone know of the history of the building? It seems to be turn of the century? It looks newer than it is as I assume it's been extensively repointed.

It's a large complex with many passageways to the adjoining separate bars only accessible to bar staff.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Leazes Park Road Jewish Synagogue

I used to work in Madison's Bar on Leazes Lane a couple of years ago. It's next to and attached to Soho bar and the Hyena Comedy club. Does anyone know of the history of the building? It seems to be turn of the century? It looks newer than it is as I assume it's been extensively repointed.

It's a large complex with many passageways to the adjoining separate bars only accessible by bar staff.
Built as the Leazes Park Road Jewish Synagogue (Newcastle Old Hebrew Congregation), erected in 1880 and closed as a place of worship in 1978.

It then became the Leazes Arcade - see these links for previous discussions:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=46490999&postcount=75
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=46492397&postcount=76

This image taken in 2000:

View of the former Jewish Synagogue in Leazes Park Road - built in 1880 by John Johnstone. Changed to an indoor market in the 1990's but a fire destroyed that particular enterprise. Now renovated and used for housing.
Image hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Leazes Village

·
Banned
1,465 Posts
Built as the Leazes Park Road Jewish Synagogue (Newcastle Old Hebrew Congregation), erected in 1880 and closed as a place of worship in 1978.

It then became the Leazes Arcade - see these links for previous discussions:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=46490999&postcount=75
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=46492397&postcount=76

This image taken in 2000:

View of the former Jewish Synagogue in Leazes Park Road - built in 1880 by John Johnstone. Changed to an indoor market in the 1990's but a fire destroyed that particular enterprise. Now renovated and used for housing.
Image hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Leazes Village
Thanks! I knew there was a Jewish Synagogue on Leazes Park Road but didn't know it was the same building as they looked different architecturally.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
A couple of things occur, one is that I have long been interested on that plaque on the steeple at St Johns, I think it says something about Portland Cement, do you have a photo of it?
I would like to know more about the houses around "Westgate House" (is there any other images of it?) There seems to have been a concentration of big houses for the great and good and the statue of Joseph Cowens goes there as well.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
A couple of things occur, one is that I have long been interested on that plaque on the steeple at St Johns, I think it says something about Portland Cement, do you have a photo of it?
I would like to know more about the houses around "Westgate House" (is there any other images of it?) There seems to have been a concentration of big houses for the great and good and the statue of Joseph Cowens goes there as well.
I know the plaque you mean but as the writing is so weathered its nigh on impossible to get a 'meaningful' photograph. At the back of my mind I'm sure it says something about being built from the same mortar as used by the Romans during their occupation of Britain.

Certainly were some 'grand houses' in the area of Fenkle Street/Westgate Road and Charlotte Square - all part of the 'move up the hill' from the Quayside.

3941 - 3960 of 7499 Posts