SkyscraperCity banner

4701 - 4720 of 7425 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Is there such a thing as a pedestrian's map of Newcastle, indicating the various shortcuts, stairways, subways and footbridges etc which may have eluded the occasional visitor?

As Steve has said, there are numerous Bridges/subways. Mostly in inhospitably places. Always worth following, esp round the Bigg Market area

·
21,901 Posts
Is there such a thing as a pedestrian's map of Newcastle, indicating the various shortcuts, stairways, subways and footbridges etc which may have eluded the occasional visitor?

I'll have a look in my own collection of maps, to see if I have anything.

I'm not sure if there is anything already on the forum or not, but I would suggest you look under "M" for 'MAPS' on the Index Thread, as your first port of call.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Victoria Tunnel.

Hello,

I’m currently in the research and pre-production process of making an interactive documentary about the Victoria Tunnel. I’m already in contact with the Ouseburn Trust but I’m looking to collect as much information as possible, so I'm writing in the hope that you’ll be able to help me?

The documentary will be web based and will focus on the history of the tunnel as an air raid shelter throughout the duration of the second world war, but will also focus on the area in which the tunnel encompasses (the streets in which it runs under and the seven entrances built for the shelter) looking at the way in which people lived throughout the war and key events that shaped the history of Newcastle, for example, the bombing of the Manors Goods Station in 1941. – I would ideally like to speak to residents who lived in the tunnel area at the time and used the tunnel, along with tunnel tour volunteers and local historians.
I’m also looking for archive photographs and footage.

I know that there's already a lot of information on the tunnel here on the forum, but if anyone has any additional information, could you please let me know?

Thank you in advance! :)

·
21,901 Posts
Hello,

I’m currently in the research and pre-production process of making an interactive documentary about the Victoria Tunnel. I’m already in contact with the Ouseburn Trust but I’m looking to collect as much information as possible, so I'm writing in the hope that you’ll be able to help me?

The documentary will be web based and will focus on the history of the tunnel as an air raid shelter throughout the duration of the second world war, but will also focus on the area in which the tunnel encompasses (the streets in which it runs under and the seven entrances built for the shelter) looking at the way in which people lived throughout the war and key events that shaped the history of Newcastle, for example, the bombing of the Manors Goods Station in 1941. – I would ideally like to speak to residents who lived in the tunnel area at the time and used the tunnel, along with tunnel tour volunteers and local historians.
I’m also looking for archive photographs and footage.

I know that there's already a lot of information on the tunnel here on the forum, but if anyone has any additional information, could you please let me know?

Thank you in advance! :)

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum.

This thread is the best place to post if you are looking for information, but I have also 'copied' your request (because of the subject matter) into our
VICTORIA TUNNEL thread.

Regards,
NH.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts

·
Idle waster.
hard work.
1,229 Posts
Does anyone have any information about the time the South African springboks played rugby at the county ground in Gosforth?

This was during the time of apartheid and I believe there was a big demo against them playing.This would be early 1970s I think.

I was away but when I got home the street (Hollywood Ave.) looked like a war zone.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Does anyone have any information about the time the South African springboks played rugby at the county ground in Gosforth?

This was during the time of apartheid and I believe there was a big demo against them playing.This would be early 1970s I think.

I was away but when I got home the street (Hollywood Ave.) looked like a war zone.
3 January 1970 versus the North East Counties at Gosforth - source Wikipedia @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969–70_South_Africa_rugby_union_tour_of_Britain_and_Ireland

·
Registered
340 Posts
Is this the old St Mary's School site on Rutherford Street - now underneath St James Boulevard? Went to this school in 1965-66 before it moved to Benton Park Road. Sure it used to be a Convent before it was a school.

Cheers
GBDT

My mother (family lived in East Parade - any pic's out there yet??) and her sisters went to St Anne's Convent school in Elswick in the 1940's - not sure what street it was on - she always said that the nuns were "evil".

I have attached a photograph

Hosted on Photobucket copyright holder of photograph is Institute of Our Lady of Mercy

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
My mother (family lived in East Parade - any pic's out there yet??) and her sisters went to St Anne's Convent school in Elswick in the 1940's - not sure what street it was on - she always said that the nuns were "evil".

It was on Summerhill Grove Helen and no, no photos of East Parade yet :D

Steve

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
St Anne's Court - Summerhill

I have attached a photograph

Hosted on Photobucket copyright holder of photograph is Institute of Our Lady of Mercy

It was on Summerhill Grove Helen and no, no photos of East Parade yet :D

Steve
It is now renamed as St Anne's Court and operating as a care home - this from the Summerhill Conservation Area Character Statement @ https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/wwwfileroot/legacy/regen/plantrans/conservation/Summerhill.pdf

St Anne’s Court (listed Grade II, 1822 by Ignatius Bonomi, altered 1870s) is very different. Now a residential home (previously a house, convent and school), it has two tall sandstone storeys in a restrained Tudor Gothick style with trefoils, crosses, lancet windows, crested ridge tiles, timber dormers and tall clustered cylindrical chimneys. A tall boundary wall encircles the grounds (which contain a summerhouse and a large statue of Christ), creating a very private property.

These images were taken circa 2005:

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Summerhill

·
The Legend
13,090 Posts
Here is a question for you all.

Why is Newcastle associated with Seahorses? Is it simply our sea connections and we picked the Seahorse randomly as symbol simply because it's a sea creature and we could easily have ended up with a Dolphin or Octopus instead? Or was there more to it than that?, did we come across them once just out of the river and near our coast?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts

Why is Newcastle associated with Seahorses? Is it simply our sea connections and we picked the Seahorse randomly as symbol simply because it's a sea creature and we could easily have ended up with a Dolphin or Octopus instead? Or was there more to it than that?, did we come across them once just out of the river and near our coast?
Perhaps it is all to with the mythological links with seahorses but as you say its Newcastle's connection with the sea, having in its time having been a major port.

From what I can see on the internet, seahorses have been found in the North Sea:

Both British Seahorses can be found from the Shetland Isles down the west coast of the UK (and all around Ireland) and along the south coast of England; we also have sightings of Seahorses on the east coast and a few years ago they were found in the North Sea.
()Source : The Seahorse Trust @ http://www.theseahorsetrust.org/seahorse-facts.aspx )

Courtesy of http://www.internetbusinessdirectory.co.uk/arms/newcastleupontyne-coat-arms.htm

·
21,901 Posts
^^

Certainly, Seahorses play an important decorative role in one of our most important City Centre buildings (see below Index Extract from under "S") . . .

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Newcastle Coat of Arm s- Seahorses

^^

Certainly, Seahorses play an important decorative role in one of our most important City Centre buildings (see below Index Extract from under "S") . . .
Some other examples of seahorses at the Civic Centre - taken in August 2011:

Motif in the carpet - Banqueting Hall

Grand Stairs Chandelier

Wall Panel

Top of the tower

·
Registered
554 Posts

I thought it was in the case of Seahorses the Male is the one that carries the young and in the case of Newcastle the men look like they're pregnant? :cheers:

·
12,582 Posts
This one?

Almost certain that there was an abortive attempt at lifting her about a year ago.
Know nothing of her history though.

Chris
Not sure of this is the best place but to follow on more than a year later....

Mine - photobucket

Still somewhere between an MOT fail and a write-off.

Absolutely nothing has moved. Amazing that it's still there.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Not sure of this is the best place but to follow on more than a year later....

Still somewhere between an MOT fail and a write-off.

Absolutely nothing has moved. Amazing that it's still there.
Either someone is still paying the berthing fees, or its been abandoned and the owners of St Peters Marina don't want to pay for its removal and disposal - sad sight right enough, looks like an old trawler?

·
12,582 Posts
Either someone is still paying the berthing fees, or its been abandoned and the owners of St Peters Marina don't want to pay for its removal and disposal - sad sight right enough, looks like an old trawler?
I think you re right - looks like an old fishing boat of some sort. It s an eyesore and I m not sure that it can be doing the water any good either. You'd assume that someone would need to shift the thing, though it looks.... fragile.

4701 - 4720 of 7425 Posts