SkyscraperCity banner

7521 - 7540 of 7588 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I have been trying to date this photo of Gateshead High Street. Just realised that in the distance the Dun Cow is being built. Does anyone know when this would be?

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
This very similar view of the Crown Hotel and the Dun Cow from Gateshead Libraries is dated 1960::
Update: The Dun Cow was rebuilt for thr umpteenth time in 1939.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
This very similar view of the Crown Hotel and the Dun Cow from Gateshead Libraries is dated 1960::
Update: The Dun Cow was rebuilt for thr umpteenth time in 1939.
View attachment 683386
Alf,
Interesting photo. The shop in my photo has the same advert above the door and the building on the right has the same scaffolding in place as well. The main difference is that the Dun Cow has scaffolding around it in mine but not in yours. The pub does look new in your photo so I'll date mine as early 1960.

Cheers,
GBDT

·
Registered
21,152 Posts
Former Dun Cow Public House, (Green Energy Consultants, Autotrader House), 65 High Street, Gateshead - query about build date & when it changed from being a public house

^^^

Following up on recent posts

Do not think the current Dun Cow pub building dates from 1939, as noted by Alf in his post #7522

After spending a reasonable amount of time looking at "old interactive" maps and "old pictures" finally came across this one in the Gateshead Local Studies Collection with a bit more text compared to other pictures of the building on that site

Extra last sentence reading "This photograph shows The Dun Cow just before the third rebuild in the 1950s."

From the look of the structure currently standing it would appear to be a late 1950's rather than 1939 building

Screen print of The Dun Cow, Gateshead High Street, Reference No: GL004168 from the Gateshead Local Studies site, Gateshead Local Studies

The current flat roof building, picture of mine from similar angle on 29/08/20

From the Gateshead Council Planning Portal this information of then the Dun Cow pub stopped trading and came into other use

EXTRACTS

765/87

Change of use of first floor and part of ground floor from public house to business use (Class B1)

The Dun Cow Public House High Street Gateshead

Decision - Grant

Decision Issued Date - Mon 05 Oct 1987

AND

1308/88

Change of use from public house to offices (use class B1) (amended 21/11/88 and 29/12/88)

The Dun Cow High Street Gateshead

Decision - Grant

Decision Issued Date - Mon 23 Jan 1989

KEN

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Former Dun Cow pub

The Gateshead Libraries caption is a bit misleading when it says, "The last Dun Cow building of the 1939, rebuild still stands". I read to mean that the 1939 building was still standing. However, I found a reference in the Journal for 15th. June 1961 announcing the opening of the new Dun Cow "a few yards south of the present site". Unfortunately I haven't got the cutting only the reference to it in a newspaper archive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussing the early 1970s with an old pal and we remembered a Holly House beside St Cuthberts Village in Gateshead. Are there any details on when it was built, what it was used for and when it was demolished ? Photos would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Holly House

From A Short History of Gateshead 1974:

"Holly House, one of the town's oldest buildings still standing (not now) is situated on the north east of the hills. Reputed to have been built in the seventeenth century, it was altered in the late eighteenth century. It was used as a private house until the beginning of the twentieth century when it was bought by the Corporation and used as a reception centre by the Welfare and Social Services Department. It was abandoned in 1971 and now stands vandalised and derelict but it cannot be demolished without the permission of the Department of the Environment. A campaign to preserve the house has attracted the attention of the local press but at the time of writing there are no plans for any restoration work."

When I was a kid in the 1950s a colleague of my mother lived in Holly House and it was always referred to as a home for battered wives. I believe it was demolished in the late 1970s.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussing the early 1970s with an old pal and we remembered a Holly House beside St Cuthberts Village in Gateshead. Are there any details on when it was built, what it was used for and when it was demolished ? Photos would be appreciated.
Do you know which street it was on?

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I have come across this photo of my grandad. I knew that he drove lorries for British Road Service for many years, but this photo shows him driving for Joel Galleries much earlier. Can I ask those of you who have access to business registeries (the name escapes me) if you could find any info about them? I have tried the internet but no joy.

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you know which street it was on?

Cheers
GBDT
In the last photo, the wooden rail fencing is the higher numbered houses on Bellshill Walk, St Cuthberts Village. The other side would have faced Bensham Rd.
I think the old houses on the right were Gordon St ?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The earliest reference to "Joel's Galleries" I had found was in 1939 when it was in Newgate Street, In 1957 it was at 30 Ridley Place and 68 John Street Sunderland. Then I spotted that TWSitelines has these references "Newcastle, Newgate Street, Nos. 71-87, Joel's Auction Gallery" and "No. 71 - M.K. Glass for J & Joel Intract, Auctioneers, c.1922.". It could be a coincidence but Ward's directory for 1916 has Joseph and Joel Intract Auctioneers at 71 Newgate Street.

·
13,157 Posts
So Mrs NP found this on the Newcastle libraries photostream, posted in pics of Newcastle

Is the caption right?

I m having trouble placing it. Can't be either of the western corners. There's a reference to it being 30s which seems unlikely - 'Electricity board' and nick? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
So Mrs NP found this on the Newcastle libraries photostream, posted in pics of Newcastle

View attachment 792012

Is the caption right?

I m having trouble placing it. Can't be either of the western corners. There's a reference to it being 30s which seems unlikely - 'Electricity board' and nick? Any thoughts?
Anderson and Garland history.

·
13,157 Posts
Cheers :)

Its the corner of that has me scratching my head, looking at the 'urn' [I assume not the right architectural term] on the building to the right.

The 'current' Anderson house seems to be part of the Magistrates Courts so that building is on the South of Market St with a building to the west-ish.

Anderson House, Market Street, Newcastle © Stephen Richards cc-by-sa/2.0

It reads as if it's further along Market rather than being on the Corner of Market and Pilgrim because there's a building it seems closer to Pilgrim ?

Kelley's 04 has Anderson at 71 Pilgrim St.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Cheers :)

Its the corner of that has me scratching my head, looking at the 'urn' [I assume not the right architectural term] on the building to the right.

The 'current' Anderson house seems to be part of the Magistrates Courts so that building is on the South of Market St with a building to the west-ish.

Anderson House, Market Street, Newcastle © Stephen Richards cc-by-sa/2.0

It reads as if it's further along Market rather than being on the Corner of Market and Pilgrim because there's a building it seems closer to Pilgrim ?

Kelley's 04 has Anderson at 71 Pilgrim St.
Found this photo of Pilgrim Street on the WWW. Taken in 1911. The Cooks Corner building can be seen further up Pilgrim Street. If you look at the building on the right hand side which has the large flag. Does it look like the Anderson building? The building to the south of it has the 'urns' that NP has mentioned. If it is I think that it is where the Police and Fire station building is today?

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Market St was extended across Pilgrim St commencing in 1908. Wards 1916 has Anderson’s still unnumbered on the south side of the new extension to Market St with the North of England Safe Deposit to the west and at least 2 other buildings before meeting Pilgrim St. Wards 1910 has Andersons still at 71 Pilgrim St with no buildings between 55 and 71 as the extension was underway. So I would say this is 1911-1913 with the building on Pilgrim St on a temporary corner to the Market St extension which is in progress at the time. There are several photos of the extension in progress with a similar style of wooden fencing as this one. The decorated building on the photo above is the old police station located where the fire station was built.

7521 - 7540 of 7588 Posts