SkyscraperCity banner

7581 - 7600 of 7634 Posts

·
13,273 Posts
A question from Mrs NP. Does anyone have any images of MVC, a music retailer in Eldon Square, and a location. It may have been Whitecross way.

A supplementary question. You could buy at retail or if you had a membership card there was a discount, can anyone recall whether the membership was 'free' or you had to pay a fee to 'join'?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
A question from Mrs NP. Does anyone have any images of MVC, a music retailer in Eldon Square, and a location. It may have been Whitecross way.

A supplementary question. You could buy at retail or if you had a membership card there was a discount, can anyone recall whether the membership was 'free' or you had to pay a fee to 'join'?
NP,
The entrance to the shop was from Nelson Street entrance to Eldon Square. If my memory serves me right it was an escalator and the shop was half way up.

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I used to take my granddaughter's to Newcastle most Saturday mornings in the 90s and into the 2000s. We would start at McDonald's or KFC but the first stop for retail was always MVC. We headed for the "Magic Stairs" hopping off the escalator at the entrance to the lower floor. and then progressing internally to the upper floor and exiting near Beatties toy and model shop. I can remember having a membershio card but I can't recall whether there was a charge for it. I would guess there was but it must have been a minimal one to tempt me.

There is an article on the place on Graham Soult's website including a photograph of the entrance with the shutters up:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fenham Brick and Tile Works

Not sure I would blame all of the air pollution on the brick works - commercial and residential coal fires all contributed.

Anyway here is a photograph that you may be interested in, its courtesy of the "Old Bricks - history at your feet" web site @ Penmorfa - error

More information on the SiteLines web site @ Cowgate, Sunset Brick and Tileworks
William Cochran Carr had South Benwell Brickworks before the Fenham Brickworks. I am looking for information, a map would be great, of Sopwith Street Pumping Station that was associated with the South Benwell brickworks.

Many thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
William Cochran Carr had South Benwell Brickworks before the Fenham Brickworks. I am looking for information, a map would be great, of Sopwith Street Pumping Station that was associated with the South Benwell brickworks.

Many thanks in advance for any info.
An extract from the 1897 OS map.

Cheers
GBDT

·
13,273 Posts
Are there any abandoned, unused type of warehouses/arches/large buildings within, or just outside the city centre in Newcastle?
You planning a rave...?

How close to the core city ? Depends a bit on the criteria. A few former car show rooms, the undercroft areas under the station and under the old station behind the new 'nick', Tyne Bridge tower, Keelman's hospital and Sally Army. there's probably some vacant industrial stuff off Scotswood Rd.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Are there any abandoned, unused type of warehouses/arches/large buildings within, or just outside the city centre in Newcastle?
Stephenson Quarter. Cathedral spaces of industry left in aspic

If you need it for some backgrouind photography etc i'm sure there are contacts you could get hold of

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You planning a rave...?

How close to the core city ? Depends a bit on the criteria. A few former car show rooms, the undercroft areas under the station and under the old station behind the new 'nick', Tyne Bridge tower, Keelman's hospital and Sally Army. there's probably some vacant industrial stuff off Scotswood Rd.
Hypothetically, yes! But legally, although looking for industrial settings away from houses. Forth yard warehouses would be ideal in between the police station and the area but I'm not sure how big those units are inside, whether they're linked up and if they're used by businesses or not.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Without meaning to be impolite, this is not true, most of Stephenson's factories remain abandoned. I know as Ive been there

http://instagr.am/p/Be_xiM_lX0n/
Where is this....just realised it's the boiler shop. Is this correct, or are these other units?

Are the old warehouses facing Hanover Street still intact and are they unused (walking up the street on the left). I noticed that the doors on the outside facing Hanover street have been blocked up but there are windows which seem to have nothing behind them?

7581 - 7600 of 7634 Posts