SkyscraperCity banner

7621 - 7640 of 7720 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,366 Posts
Ah cut n cover, you'd assume that given the experience the railway co's had with undercrofts etc. If anyone knows Steve E will. Wonder if there are images...[one for the subterranean zone too].
Perhaps one for the 'bucket list' when I come out of hibernation after a year. Getting my xax tomorrow so shouldn't be too long before I dust down the camera.

In John Addyman and Bill Fawcett's book "The High Level Bridge and Newcastle Central Station" there is a short reference to the subway as:

Discussing the extension to the existing platforms - Central Station in 1894 - while it was linked to the rest of the station by a spacious and gently ramped footbridge, together with an underground subway and lifts for parcels and postal traffic" "

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Perhaps one for the 'bucket list' when I come out of hibernation after a year. Getting my xax tomorrow so shouldn't be too long before I dust down the camera.

In John Addyman and Bill Fawcett's book "The High Level Bridge and Newcastle Central Station" there is a short reference to the subway as:

Discussing the extension to the existing platforms - Central Station in 1894 - while it was linked to the rest of the station by a spacious and gently ramped footbridge, together with an underground subway and lifts for parcels and postal traffic" "
Thank you Steve, wish you all the best! Always great to see you on here!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Vaulted - I would guess it's stone. If you imagine the Arts Council office having a basement the tunnel comes out about halfway down, righthand side looking from the station., in that basement.
I'd always assumed anything East of Orchard Street was vaulted, and West was retaining walls. I hope you are right because vaulting is so much cooler

·
Idle waster.
hard work.
1,253 Posts
Question about Ponteland?

We avoid the wagon ways on a weekend as they are so busy, so on Saturday we decided to walk from Dinnington to Ponteland, there is a nice old road that runs along the side of the bit where the army goes to practice soldiering.

Also there is a public toilet at Ponteland which is handy. Anyway, we decided to walk through the small row of shops next to the toilet.

So my question is when we're these shops built? They are so different to the rest of the village ( town?)! It's difficult to work out what was running through the minds of those who thought this would be a good idea?

I love Ponteland, couldn't afford to live there mind but it has such a nice feel, pubs, shops, old churches and some brilliant houses, and this down at heel shopping centre/ borderline slum.

What were they thinking?

·
Registered
21,977 Posts
Retail units at Ponteland Shopping Centre, Thornhill Rd. Ponteland - images

Question about Ponteland?

We avoid the wagon ways on a weekend as they are so busy, so on Saturday we decided to walk from Dinnington to Ponteland, there is a nice old road that runs along the side of the bit where the army goes to practice soldiering.

Also there is a public toilet at Ponteland which is handy. Anyway, we decided to walk through the small row of shops next to the toilet.

So my question is when we're these shops built? They are so different to the rest of the village ( town?)! It's difficult to work out what was running through the minds of those who thought this would be a good idea?

I love Ponteland, couldn't afford to live there mind but it has such a nice feel, pubs, shops, old churches and some brilliant houses, and this down at heel shopping centre/ borderline slum.

What were they thinking?
Follow up on above post and those following it

Screen prints of Google Maps & Street Images showing Retail units, with accommodation above, at Ponteland Shopping Centre, Thornhill Rd. Ponteland

From About Ponteland

EXTRACT

Shopping in Ponteland is a breeze with Ponteland Village and Darras Hall both having shopping centres and supermarkets We have butchers, bakers, grocers and newsagents along with a card & gift shop, a printer and stationer, a well stocked hardware store, ladies fashion shops … etc. etc.

As well as a modern new health centre in the village with two separate practices, we also have a number dentists and chemists.

KEN

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am looking for Info/pics of old Blue Bell in Felling, not the present one, I think it was just about on its current footprint maybe a bit nearer to what is now the bookies, I have found one pic online showing a Hoppings type fair but thats all, can anyone help? Cheers

·
13,404 Posts
I am looking for Info/pics of old Blue Bell in Felling, not the present one, I think it was just about on its current footprint maybe a bit nearer to what is now the bookies, I have found one pic online showing a Hoppings type fair but thats all, can anyone help? Cheers
Can you give me a [current] street and I ll see what i can find

·
Registered
21,977 Posts
The Blue Bell pub, High St/Felling Square, Felling - old pictures

Try the Gateshead Local Studies (former ISee Gateshead) picture website on Gateshead Local Studies

On typing "Blue Bell" into SearchOur Collection box there are 18 results, not all the pub

There are images from 1900, 1920, 1940, 1940, 1970, 1971 plus others including the one mentioned in post #7624

Also worth having a look at Norman Dunn's East Gateshead Photo Website on Norman Dunn's East Gateshead Photo Website

Lot of "Felling" pictures on there

From History of The Felling - Gateshead History, Felling History, Low Fell History website

EXTRACT

The Bluebell, a magnificent looking Art Nouveau building, rebuilt by Newcastle Breweries in 1905. It's on the Council's Local List, as well as the adjoining top right hand side Felling High Street shops, built in the same red bricks This is a very early brewery owned pub site. The map of 1766 shows the parcel of land, then owned by Robert Whinny,but by 1836 it was in the possession of John Barras. Who was John Barras? Then he had a brewery in Gateshead but in 1884, he was the leading light in establishing Newcastle Breweries

KEN

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Blue Bell Felling

There are are a couple of photographs of the old Blue Bell. I am reliably informed by a Felling local historian that the scaffolding behind the pub in this one is the beginning of the new Blue Bell. The photograph is of the unveiling of the Boer War Memorial in 1905.

·
Registered
21,977 Posts
The Blue Bell pub, High St/Felling Square, Felling - further information & The Paragon Theatre

Scanned copy of Felling 1894 map, Tyneside Sheet 24 from the Godfrey Series, showing the area at top of Felling High St - does show an Inn

Scan of text on rear of above map - does suggest an earlier Bluebell on Victoria Square before the one rebuilt in 1905

But did the Paragon Theatre, shown next to the Inn in the 1894 map ever exist

See The Felling Theatre That Never Was article from John Bratton

EXTRACT

The Felling Theatre That Never Was

Right in the centre of this map of 1894 is the Paragon Theatre, which, it seems, never existed. I've been told that it was planned to be built but was initially rejected by the planners for technical reasons. If true, it may be presumed that the developer lost heart and shelved the scheme.

AND

If it turns out to be true that the project didn't proceed, then it will presumably be corrected by the OS Office.
A 120 + year error..or not..deserves correction..or clarification.
Watch this space

KEN

7621 - 7640 of 7720 Posts