SkyscraperCity banner

7641 - 7660 of 7720 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The Felling Theatre That Never Was

When I first read Jon Bratton's account of the missing theatre I thought that can't be right as the OS surveyors I had always assumed were consumate professionals. Then again I have known Jon's work for many years and I have never had any reason to doubt his word. Then I found these two advertisements:

Paragon Theatre Felling Newcastle Daily Chronicle 09 March 1895:

Paragon Theatre Felling The Stage 11 July 1895:

·
13,405 Posts
This might be a case of 'top secret' but..... there is a house on the Corner of Summerhill St and Summerhill Grove:

It appears to be a fortress, all windows have some form of armoured plastic screwed over the windows [which might make it a bit... stuffy] and there's some fairly hardcore CCTV.

Mrs NP's theory is witness protection but short of a sign saying 'look at me' it couldn't be more obviously 'secure'. It's been like this for a number of years.

Anyone know, any theories ?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
This might be a case of 'top secret' but..... there is a house on the Corner of Summerhill St and Summerhill Grove:

View attachment 1142919

It appears to be a fortress, all windows have some form of armoured plastic screwed over the windows [which might make it a bit... stuffy] and there's some fairly hardcore CCTV.

Mrs NP's theory is witness protection but short of a sign saying 'look at me' it couldn't be more obviously 'secure'. It's been like this for a number of years.

Anyone know, any theories ?
It had the same type of windows in 2005.
Also have a photo of the building being modernised in 1981 entitled 'Blind Club, Summerhill Street.

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
12 Posts
A query re: 'old' Trinity Square from Traf down to market as far as I remember it was Traf, bookies? Clothes shop, World of Sport ( before that Wilson's?) , Johnstons ( I worked there 1985-2000), La bodega,, shop selling curtains, I am correct?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Trinity Square

This might bring back a few memories though I think there are better photographs around. I hated the place so never bothered to collect pictures apart from this one:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for that, Clanwear yes of course, like I said worked in Johnston's, used to hate humping all the stuff out in morning, bins full off brushes, mops and whole load of other crap, also my first job as a Saturday lad was shifting stock from our shop, (which is now Hampton Graves opticians), when it was closing in 1995

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
My mum says they loved it when it first opened, although she was a child. Said the old town centre was rundown with old, scruffy, dilapidated buildings.

I think it's easy to look at old photos with a magic chequebook and revitalise, but we're doing exactly the same things as those in the 1960's with the southern end of the High Street, which is probably looked down upon the same as the old town centre pre the Indoor Market (@No Opinion , I never would have called it the Trinity Centre, it was always Gateshead Indoor Market for the whole complex to me as a kid).

·
Registered
12 Posts
These are from when the new "Gateshead Shopping Centre" (as it was called in the advert) was in planning . . .

Thanks for those pics, I'm sure that Johnston's was one of the first to be in that block when it originally opened, Neil Johnston was the owner with his wife Rubina, they were the parents of Jim Johnston who was my boss, Neil was from Glasgow and you certainly wouldn't mess with him, ie coming into work still smelling of drink from night before !.
The shop sold just about everything from calor gas to 1/4 inch screws.
I bet lots of people on here must have been in at some point, by the way I was the skinny one with a dodgy Boro accent lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brilliant mate, that's Jim on the left, and his mum on the right, Mrs J as we all called her, dont know who the lady in the centre is.
On the whole it was a great place to work, was really busy at times in the mid 80s to 90s, kind of died a bit when Metro Centre opened.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Was the Luder Trinity Centre always hated or was there any positivity when it was built?
Slightly biased as I used to work for Gateshead Planning :) .

I started work in Gateshead in 1972. I had never been to the town centre (always just passing through) so I was a bit surprised at what I saw. The new shopping centre looked great, with new shops opening all the time. I knew that because it was my job to put the new shop signage onto an elevational plan that we had. The High Street was also busy. Reminded me of Shields Road in it's heyday. The western side of West Street was a bit of a dump as it was due to be demolished. Ellison Street was one of the first properly pedestrianised streets in the area.

I think that the car park didn't work. It didn't attract motorists to park there. Security wasn't seen as a priority. Then with the Metro Centre opening a lot of the custom went off to the new centre. that started the rundown look of the Trinity Centre.

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I didn't hate the car park so much though it was ugly but the indoor market was largely a no go area for me. It was smelly and claustrophobic and didn't sell anything I wanted. There were exceptions of course like the biker lads who ran the motor accesories stall and the jeweller who supplied me with watch batteries. Otherwise I avoided the place. That is until my granddaughters came on the scene and insisted I take them to the pet shop. They loved looking at the fish and animals in the tanks.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I loved the pet shop as a kid, walking down the 3-4 aisles of fish, then looking at the kittens and puppies in the huge cages next to the door onto the square.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yes the pet shop was Emerson's. I was in Denton's a few times with my granddaughters. I think they liked sitting in the upper level and watching people eating on the lower level. In its later years it became the Three Cooks:

They lasted to the end and left this nice farewell notice:

7641 - 7660 of 7720 Posts