SkyscraperCity banner

941 - 960 of 7499 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Some brilliant shots, especially of the Northern Academy of Arts of which I had no knowledge.

Now, a question, which I have had no luck in answering elsewhere online or in Newcastle. I have spent the past year compiling as much information as possible about Newcastle's historical theatres and cinemas and I have virtually every base covered, except one. There was, until about 1997, a 'gentlemans' cinema in Blandford Square, near the Discovery Museum and the defunct Diving Centre. It was rather discreet and architecturally unremarkable, and my only real memories of it were during its demolition when I used to live in Summerhill Square; like many buildings in that area (Broken Doll, Strings, Diving centre, etc), it was pulled down to make way for the motorway. (Was it even a cinema?)

A number of people remember this cinema / club, but all of those I've asked have little more than vague recollections (or an unwillingness to admit they went). Can anyone remember its name, lifespan, operations etc. Any photographs would, naturally, be wonderful. Although it may have been a seedy little oddity, any true survey of Newcastle's cinemas would be incomplete without including it.

Thanks,
Lee.
I know you mention this "private members" cinema being in Blandford Square but there was one on Westgate Hill - left hand side if going up the hill. Wonder if this could e the same one?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Some brilliant shots, especially of the Northern Academy of Arts of which I had no knowledge.

Now, a question, which I have had no luck in answering elsewhere online or in Newcastle. I have spent the past year compiling as much information as possible about Newcastle's historical theatres and cinemas and I have virtually every base covered, except one. There was, until about 1997, a 'gentlemans' cinema in Blandford Square, near the Discovery Museum and the defunct Diving Centre. It was rather discreet and architecturally unremarkable, and my only real memories of it were during its demolition when I used to live in Summerhill Square; like many buildings in that area (Broken Doll, Strings, Diving centre, etc), it was pulled down to make way for the motorway. (Was it even a cinema?)

A number of people remember this cinema / club, but all of those I've asked have little more than vague recollections (or an unwillingness to admit they went). Can anyone remember its name, lifespan, operations etc. Any photographs would, naturally, be wonderful. Although it may have been a seedy little oddity, any true survey of Newcastle's cinemas would be incomplete without including it.

Thanks,
Lee.
Before anyone says anything, I took this photo as part of my duties for the Council. I did not visit the Gallery Cine Club in a private or professional basis!!

P&T Image Archive, Newcastle City Council

Cheers
GBDT

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts

·
6ft of fun.
87 Posts
Hahahaha!! How long until someone posts a scan of an old membership card that they 'bought off eBay'.........??

For the record, I currently live in Leeds - have done for a long time now. The Leeds section of this website is rubbish quite frankly - whereas the Newcastle section really is becoming addictive. keep it up!

·
Registered
61 Posts
You guys are stars - thanks!!

At first, the Gallery Cine Club didn't fit with my recollections of the building I had to walk past every day, but due to its location, it must be the one. That's one place that is always missing from histories of Newcastle's screens. For some reason. ;) I know the Tatler and the Stoll also showed erotica, as is already well documented. (Good lord - looking at it again, I even remember those pink fly-posters - they were for Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's heavily publicised visit to Newcastle. And the graffiti reads 'Free Becky Palmer' - I believe she was a poll tax prisoner?)

In fact, it's got me thinking - does anyone know of any other similar little cine clubs (adult or otherwise) that existed hidden across Newcastle? This could be our little contribution to Newcastle's cinema history. :)

·
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile
522 Posts
Spanish City Memories

I have two stand-out memories of the Spanish City as a nipper- "The House that Jack built" funhouse and some sort of dark ride under the wooden roller coaster.

There are mentions of THTJB and even a glimpse of its paybox on Youtube but I have yet to see a shot of the full height facade anywhere (and the facade was considerably more impressive than what was inside). The interior had windy corridors/wobbly floors in and out with a room inside that had some mirrors and a barrel of fun, not a lot else (or if there had been, it had been removed by the 70s.)

That dark ride- I think it was some kind of train and there was a long trundle into it (and back out again) from the platform and it then snaked round and through some rather hokey dioramas with crude animatronics.

Does anyone have more memories of these two attractions?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
I have two stand-out memories of the Spanish City as a nipper- "The House that Jack built" funhouse and some sort of dark ride under the wooden roller coaster.

There are mentions of THTJB and even a glimpse of its paybox on Youtube but I have yet to see a shot of the full height facade anywhere (and the facade was considerably more impressive than what was inside). The interior had windy corridors/wobbly floors in and out with a room inside that had some mirrors and a barrel of fun, not a lot else (or if there had been, it had been removed by the 70s.)

That dark ride- I think it was some kind of train and there was a long trundle into it (and back out again) from the platform and it then snaked round and through some rather hokey dioramas with crude animatronics.

Does anyone have more memories of these two attractions?
Wonder if it went on to be The House of Fun - this photograph courtesy of Copyright All rights reserved by Ronald Hackston

·
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile
522 Posts
Wonder if it went on to be The House of Fun - this photograph courtesy of Copyright All rights reserved by Ronald Hackston

I don't think so, it was sort of built into the wall that continued round at right angles from the ballroom on the south of the park. It was very narrow but the frontage was tall.

I've only found one vintage aerial shot so far and can't really spot it.

http://sine.ncl.ac.uk/view_image.asp?digital_doc_id=1267

That old woodie was a classic figure of eight though! (All cleared away for the corkscrew).

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
RAVENSWORTH SYNAGOGUE

According to Lewis Bolsover The Jewish Communities of North-East England (1980) 250 sq yds of land was bought in 1835 for a burial ground in Thornton Street and enclosed with a wall.

The site for the synagogue in Temple Street was acquired in 1838. "It has been suggested that there was a subterranean passage connecting the synagogue with the cemetery, but this was probably no more than an enclosed pathway and a later memoir refers to a narrow lane with an iron railing and gate running by the side of the synagogue and leading to the cemetery."

The cemetery was ordered to be closed in 1851 and burials then took place at the Sunderland cemetery until 1857 when a site was purchased in the City Cemetery in Elswick Road. The cemetery [in 1980] had only five headstones. Three were weatherbeaten, but two were in reasonably good condition and the Hebrew engravings were legible.
Just to follow on this theme - here are some photographs of RAVENSWORTH SYNAGOGUE which used to operate at Ravensworth Terrace, Summerhill.

The Synagogue has been converted into office accommodation but was originally built in 1925 on the site of three houses in Ravensworth Terrace.

Its original name was Newcastle United Hebrew Congregation and Beth Hamedras and closed in Closed 1969.

This photograph courtesy of the City Libraries Collection @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4082678186/ - taken in 1977. The building is run down and derelict.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts

·
King of Bernicia
1,227 Posts
I'm interested in population numbers at the moment.
Does anyone know of any solid data for the population of towns in the area in the past? I'm mainly interested in the victorian era and beyond but one or two figures from before the ind revolution would be good too.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts

·
cogito ergo sum
1,619 Posts
In fact, it's got me thinking - does anyone know of any other similar little cine clubs (adult or otherwise) that existed hidden across Newcastle? This could be our little contribution to Newcastle's cinema history. :)
Not from the past, but from the future . . . .
The Blue Room on Heaton Park Road has just applied for a Premises Licence to permit the showing of films (alongside its existing saunas etc).

·
Geordieologist
1,439 Posts
There was one at Gallowgate near St James Park in the 1970s and early 80s called The Climax. I can't remember the exact location but I passed it many a time on my way to visit mates on Stanhope Street.

It sticks in my mind because it had a sign painted on the wall that said something like 'Please Use Rear Entry'', which at first we thought was the title of one of their movies.

Incidentally, Newcastle is unique in being the only city in the UK without a 'recognised' red light district (although Sunderland may qualify too now that it's a city), and I was once told by a copper that there hasn't been an arrest for on-street soliciting since 1979. In fact I believe Northumbria Police doesn't even have a Vice Squad, as it was disbanded or merged with another in the mid-1980s.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
There was one at Gallowgate near St James Park in the 1970s and early 80s called The Climax. I can't remember the exact location but I passed it many a time on my way to visit mates on Stanhope Street.

It sticks in my mind because it had a sign painted on the wall that said something like 'Please Use Rear Entry'', which at first we thought was the title of one of their movies.

Incidentally, Newcastle is unique in being the only city in the UK without a 'recognised' red light district (although Sunderland may qualify too now that it's a city), and I was once told by a copper that there hasn't been an arrest for on-street soliciting since 1979. In fact I believe Northumbria Police doesn't even have a Vice Squad, as it was disbanded or merged with another in the mid-1980s.
Cannot recall that one but here is what is said @
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/34046/

The Climax Cinema Club operated from the 1970's as an cinema club screening uncensored sex films. After several police raids and local protests, it was closed in 1983.

Evidently it was on Barrack Road.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
I don't think so, it was sort of built into the wall that continued round at right angles from the ballroom on the south of the park. It was very narrow but the frontage was tall.

I've only found one vintage aerial shot so far and can't really spot it.

http://sine.ncl.ac.uk/view_image.asp?digital_doc_id=1267

That old woodie was a classic figure of eight though! (All cleared away for the corkscrew).

Found this postcard, circa 1900

941 - 960 of 7499 Posts