SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 7589 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,340 Posts
^^

We have a thread for 'questions' where we do not know the answer, as opposed to this thread, which is for where we are "setting general knowledge questions" (as a QUIZ) that we DO know the answer to!!

We can then continue this on the that thread, which is the "Newcastle Interesting Facts and Questions Answered" thread.

I'll copy it over there.

Above three posts now transferred here . . .

At the moment, I do not know where that is, does anyone know what the crest is?

It is not the City Crest!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Will St. Cuthbert's Grammar do? It looks like it says "ortus aquerou nova ????". If so, ortus is birth, origin or source and nova is new. Aquerou is a mystery as I can't find it in any Latin dictionary though it may have the same root as aqua, water. The last word is obscured. No further forward really.

·
6ft of fun.
87 Posts
Will St. Cuthbert's Grammar do? It looks like it says "ortus aquerou nova ????". If so, ortus is birth, origin or source and nova is new. Aquerou is a mystery as I can't find it in any Latin dictionary though it may have the same root as aqua, water. The last word is obscured. No further forward really.
My Dad went to St Cuthbert's Grammar - dang, should have been my first choice :doh:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Could well be St. Cuthbert's Grammar, considering the comprehensive as it is now keeps the same birds on its badge.
EDIT: But the word ending in OU. I don't think it is regarding aqua as of the spelling, and with my limited knowledge of Latin declensions, I don't think any declension has the ending -ou.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Thanks, Anon, for reminding me that St. Cuthbert's badge had the same birds. My only excuse for forgetting is that it is 49 years since I last donned the prison garb, sorry school uniform. I am sure you are right and aquerou is not a normal Latin word. I am beginning to wonder if it is in fact a name. I found an obscure Spanish site which when translated said, "Daughters of the sea nymphs of the river god Aqueroo union and the muse Calliope, were companions of Persephone" but I can't find confirmation anywhere else on the internet.

Anger, the photograph was posted as a friendly competition on the Newcastle Daily Photo site. I am not cheating as I have already confessed that I don't know where it is, I just haven't got the patience to wait a couple of days for the answer. My first thought on seeing it was that it was somewhere near the old Fish Market but I know it is not part of the main sculpture on that building.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well, according to the Newcastle photo website it's somehere on Northumberland Street, but is pretty well hidden! The only place I can think of is the old bits of buildings on the alley leading to the pub built under Eldon Square (The George and Dragon?). Can't find any photo's of that area though :(

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Deebex, I think you mean the Northumberland Arms on Prudhoe Chare. I have seen pictures of the bits of old bits of buildings along there but not this one. It certainly must be well hidden.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Deebex, I think you mean the Northumberland Arms on Prudhoe Chare. I have seen pictures of the bits of old bits of buildings along there but not this one.
Yup, that's the pub I meant! When searching for pics I noticed it's been taken over by the people who run The Tanners in the Ouseburn - may be worth a visit soon. Though I'd better be careful as there's a separate thread for discussions on pubs and we don't want your posts transferred by NH again ;)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks, Anon, for reminding me that St. Cuthbert's badge had the same birds. My only excuse for forgetting is that it is 49 years since I last donned the prison garb, sorry school uniform. I am sure you are right and aquerou is not a normal Latin word. I am beginning to wonder if it is in fact a name. I found an obscure Spanish site which when translated said, "Daughters of the sea nymphs of the river god Aqueroo union and the muse Calliope, were companions of Persephone" but I can't find confirmation anywhere else on the internet.

Anger, the photograph was posted as a friendly competition on the Newcastle Daily Photo site. I am not cheating as I have already confessed that I don't know where it is, I just haven't got the patience to wait a couple of days for the answer. My first thought on seeing it was that it was somewhere near the old Fish Market but I know it is not part of the main sculpture on that building.
I loved that maroon blazer. But the black now is a lot better, as is the tie.
But if that coat of arms is on that pub, surely it can't be St Cuthbert's, because wasn't that on Bath Lane? I'm sure I remember seeing the badge on the top of one of the builidings that was demolished after propaganda from a teacher telling us to go and look at it.

·
Super Moderator
22,340 Posts
Yup, that's the pub I meant! When searching for pics I noticed it's been taken over by the people who run The Tanners in the Ouseburn - may be worth a visit soon. Though I'd better be careful as there's a separate thread for discussions on pubs and we don't want your posts transferred by NH again ;)
:D

·
Super Moderator
22,340 Posts
Who can tell me where this is in Newcastle? I don't know the answer myself although it looks very familiar:

Well, according to the Newcastle photo website it's somehere on Northumberland Street, but is pretty well hidden! The only place I can think of is the old bits of buildings on the alley leading to the pub built under Eldon Square (The George and Dragon?). Can't find any photo's of that area though :(
OK, I think it is in the City Centre somewhere. Now if it is on Northumberland Street, I don't think there are any 'old' buildings large enough to have an ornate crest of that size above the door anywhere on that street, north of M & S.

So, that leaves the main 'big stores' at the south end stretch, and on there the only old entrance door that I can think of that would be big enough, is the one that leads (from Northumberland Street, halfway between Lisle Street and Northumberland Place) down a corridor into that "arcade" that used to be called Queens Square. Can't remember what the arcade is called now. It's in the building that has Burger King in it presently.

HERE . . .

That's the only place I can think of.

·
6ft of fun.
87 Posts
If the last word is either sanol or saniol, then three of the words could loosely relate to birth, new and health. Is there a site of an old hospital etc anywhere near there - either in one of the old buildings, or on the site of?? Shot in the dark.

Dammit, I'm turning into Columbo.......

·
Registered
390 Posts
"when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

NH - you don't smoke a pipe and wear a deerstalker do you?

But an interesting question remains. What does the inscription on the 'coat of arms' mean, and why is it there?

101 - 120 of 7589 Posts