SkyscraperCity banner

1641 - 1660 of 7589 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
These are all generalisations; if you have somewhere more specific in mind post here.
I've found two furnished 1 bedroom flats that seem reasonably priced, but I'm not too sure about each area: First flat is located on 500 Westgate Road, Fenham, second one is located on Raby Street, Byker (near Byker Metro station).

Thanks!

·
Part Time Contributor
43,335 Posts
Yes Steve that's the one! Ugly brute of a thing, why is it built the way it is?
Bit of a mystery that one and I suspect that it was at one time part of the Elswick Lead Works but cannot tie it down so perhaps others can have a 'stab'.

This is Kellys Directory for Skinnerburn Road in 1947 and it may well be one of the business's mentioned there? - my monies on Walkers, Parkers, and Co Ltd :)

This is a scan on the 1914 OS map and I have highlighted what may be the building in question?

Finally, this is a photograph from the Newcastle City Libraries Archive [email protected] http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4088338161/sizes/o/in/photostream/ and I wonder if the building is in the frame which dates from circa 1900

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
On that 1900 map : the cattle dock and cattle pens. Did they get slaughtered close by and chopped up for wholesale at the butchers that surrounded Marlborough Crescent?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,335 Posts
On that 1900 map : the cattle dock and cattle pens. Did they get slaughtered close by and chopped up for wholesale at the butchers that surrounded Marlborough Crescent?
This is a scan from the 1914 OS map which shows both the Cattle and Sheep Markets on Scotswood Road and Marlborough Crescent respectively. If you look to the top left of the Cattle Market you will see the Slaughter Houses.

Photograph from the Newcastle City Libraries Archive Collection:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4090333767/

·
13,166 Posts
I've found two furnished 1 bedroom flats that seem reasonably priced, but I'm not too sure about each area: First flat is located on 500 Westgate Road, Fenham, second one is located on Raby Street, Byker (near Byker Metro station).

Thanks!
Depends a little on what you re looking for; neither are part of the usual 'student' community. Westgate rd is more ethnically mixed, Byker more traditional 'working class' [both are I accept huge generalisations]. If it were me I d probably prefer Westgate - though I love much closer - within 5 mins of Byker.

Without prying - what sort of budget.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Around GBP 350-400 PCM without bills for a bedsit/1 bedroom (12 months contract) would be just fine. Any suggestion where I should look (instead)?

Cheers

·
13,166 Posts
Around GBP 350-400 PCM without bills for a bedsit/1 bedroom (12 months contract) would be just fine. Any suggestion where I should look (instead)?

Cheers
If you could stretch to about 450 then you could get something closer in the city centre. For 500 definitely [offset travel against extra cost ?].

Without knowing 'you' it s hard to say how you'd find the west end or Byker, but the 2 properties are definitely NOT usual student fare.

Here s a quick search with one local agent

http://www.livingspaces.co.uk/search/1.html?n=9&minprice=350&maxprice=550&bedrooms=0&showstc=on&orderby=price+asc&search_price_on=price&instruction_type=Letting&country[]=uk

·
13,166 Posts
Mrs Newcastlepubs has a question... when street lights come on in the evening is this usually an automated process. Someone sets area X to come on a say 7pm in September, 6pm in October etc or is there a chap in the 'department of street lights' who effectively looks at the clock and says 'right then, 7pm, I ll turn on Cradlewell and Coast road now, Chillingham road in 5 mins.

·
13,166 Posts
Nah, they're automatically controlled. As 'lighting up' time is legally enforced in the UK, street lighting is timed to switch on/off roughly in synch. Most modern street lights also have photoelectric control units, to switch them on if it gets unexpectedly dark due to weather conditions.
As she s a happy girl. You wouldn t know where the control centre is in Newcastle would you ? Don t worry we re not doing the Italian job.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
There's a light sensor on the top of them. On the old style ones which gave off the yellow-ish light (the ones that have been replaced/in the process of being replaced by the much taller ones with a whiter light) they were quite visible as they pointed up. But you can still see them on the new ones too.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=lam...noid=mJLqXOqzr09T1iGZTZUVPg&cbp=12,41.78,,0,0

You can see it on the left hand side of this one at the top.

I used to get a bus from Shields Road in the mornings to school just as they were turning off as the sun rose on the dark winter mornings. They'd never go off at the same time.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,335 Posts
Hint : very close to the oldest known home in Newcastle
Another hint : An original Medieval Newcastle Street, with links these days to Italy, India and Ancient Greece ?
Panis [also a restaurant recommend]

Ding, dong newcastlepubs, yes you've got it - bit of a tricky one that :cheers:

Just to answer the hints:

1. oldest known home in Newcastle = A Bronze Age round house imprint was found during an archaeological dig at the Bacchus Pub.

2. Italy = Panis Cafe, India = Dabbawal Street Food, Ancient Greek = Bacchus

·
Part Time Contributor
43,335 Posts
^^

Steve what is the oldest home in Newcastle still standing?

This could be a trick question :)

I suppose the oldest home in Newcastle could be argued to be the Castle Keep as folk did live there.

Blackfriars came later than the Castle but that also had folk living there.

However in the true spirit of a building built as a house I would nominate Bessie Surtee's House on Sandhill but that said it may well be that the Almshouses at Trinity House pre-date this.

It's often said that the oldest red bricked house in Newcastle is Alderman Fenwick's House on Pilgrim Street.

Would be interesting to hear what other think?

1641 - 1660 of 7589 Posts