SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey um, I'm not even so sure how to start this post off, but lately i've been thinking of relocating from new york...the places I had on my mind where miami, atlanta or raleigh/durham, but I've been giving chicago alot of thought. New york has always had alot to offer, but i've been here my whole life and I feel I need to be somewhere else for awhile.

i'm close to getting my teaching certification, but i'm unsure if I'll start my masters out here, or somehwere else...and i'm just curious to hear from some people who have relocated to chicago

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Move to Chicago. It is the best city. NYC is great too but it is so expensive.

·
Cynical post-collegiate
937 Posts
the places I had on my mind where miami, atlanta or raleigh/durham, but I've been giving chicago alot of thought.
Wow, um, those are really different categories of cities to consider.

If you're looking for something that's NOT like NYC, then you should go to Chicago. :D

But seriously, if you don't want that urban environment (you want a huge change), I find Miami to be the least objectionable choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I lived temporarily in Cary NC for 4 months, lived in Chicago for 5 years, and have been living in Jersey the past year.

That being said, family issues were the reason I moved back to Jersey. Otherwise, I would have stayed in Chicago, no questions asked. Chicago has everything you could ask for in a city (walkability, world class amenities, parks, lake in the Summer, etc), w/out the ridiculuos housing prices.

I looked at Brooklyn/Manhattan, and I liked those areas, but it was just too expensive, and at times just felt too crowded.

RDU is on a completely different playing field; not to mean it in a bad way. RDU just wasn't my style, though it seems people from the NE are moving down to that area. They dont call CARY 'Containment Area for Reolcated Yankees' for nothing....

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all your comments guys I really appreciate them

I mentioned those other cities because i've been to them before and they all had certain characteristics I liked. I also have family in those places, but as for chicago I don't...it'd be like a clean slate if I went out there.

I like a nice cheap rent y'know? but eventually I want to look into owning...New York is an expensive place but I feel the cost is very overhyped and there are affordable areas..especially if your not looking to live in manhattan, but even in manhattan you can find a good deal. there just comes a time in life when you have to see new things and meet new people..and thats just what I feel right now

thanks again guys
gichicago, which part of jersey you in?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Third of a kind said:
thanks for all your comments guys I really appreciate them

I mentioned those other cities because i've been to them before and they all had certain characteristics I liked. I also have family in those places, but as for chicago I don't...it'd be like a clean slate if I went out there.

I like a nice cheap rent y'know? but eventually I want to look into owning...New York is an expensive place but I feel the cost is very overhyped and there are affordable areas..especially if your not looking to live in manhattan, but even in manhattan you can find a good deal. there just comes a time in life when you have to see new things and meet new people..and thats just what I feel right now

thanks again guys
gichicago, which part of jersey you in?

Live in Caldwell, NJ, about 20 mi west of the city. Nice area with a little town center, which Northern NJ seems to have a lot of.

Im sure there are good deals in New York; but I guess its a relative. I searched a bit for places to buy, but ultimately was spoiled by the value I got in Chicago (I owned and rented).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts