SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Hello.
First of all I can say that I know very little about your country. I have some questions well what is the average salary in Belarus? Also what is the perspective of the country are you happy with you government because I have read on in the news these days about the nondemocratic regime. Ok so yes this is not political forum but I was curious about the future are the young people interested for accessing to European Union and working there? Also how much the visas and other papers are stopping the people to travel free?
Hi. I will gladly answer your questions.
1. Average salary in Belarus is around 1.2 mln. belarusian roubles that is USD400 (as per official exchange rate). But as we are on the verge of national currency devaluation, the real exchange rate is not known. Most probably belarusian rouble will fall by 30%, so the salary in USD will fall accordingly.
2. I am not happy with our government. The regime has nothing to do with democracy.
3. Young people are interested in accessing EU.
4. Shengen visa costs EUR60. Taking into account the average monthly salary, the Shengen visa is quite expensive. I think this stops people from travelling.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hei, I have few questions.

1. Ice hockey is most popular team sport in Belarus?

2. Is it true that countryside of Belarus are dying (I mean people move out)?

3. Chernobyl disaster did affect large areas of Belarus?

I'm also very interested Belarus politics but it is better to not go there. I'm sure you are very tired of speaking your country's politics to foreigners who are read few paragraphs on news and tell what kind of country you have.

·
Let's agree to disagree!
966 Posts
Hei, I have few questions.

1. Ice hockey is most popular team sport in Belarus?

2. Is it true that countryside of Belarus are dying (I mean people move out)?

3. Chernobyl disaster did affect large areas of Belarus?

I'm also very interested Belarus politics but it is better to not go there. I'm sure you are very tired of speaking your country's politics to foreigners who are read few paragraphs on news and tell what kind of country you have.
1. If president prefers hockey most of all, it doesn't mean it's the most popular team sport in Belarus at all. I can't say which sport is the most popular in Belarus, but I know exactly that it isn't hockey. Football is more popular than hockey, for instance.

3. Chernobyl disaster affected a part of Gomel region, because it's the closest region in Belarus to Chernobyl

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Visa for EU citizen

Hi.

I'd like to visit Minsk and Grodno for couple of months and as I found out I have to apply for touristic visa. I saw some details regarding this in one of numerous travel potals but I'm not fancy (and I have no enought time) to collect a documents and eventually aplly for it. I have beaucracy especially that like Belarussian ones.

Is that possible to buy a touristic visa in border crossing? I will travel from Ukraine and I considered about purchasing a visa in border crossing.

Does someone knows any prices? Can I get any link with information?

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,203 Posts
Hi.

I'd like to visit Minsk and Grodno for couple of months and as I found out I have to apply for touristic visa. I saw some details regarding this in one of numerous travel potals but I'm not fancy (and I have no enought time) to collect a documents and eventually aplly for it. I have beaucracy especially that like Belarussian ones.

Is that possible to buy a touristic visa in border crossing? I will travel from Ukraine and I considered about purchasing a visa in border crossing.

Does someone knows any prices? Can I get any link with information?
Well too bad for you then.

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,203 Posts
I found out some details regarding visas to Belarus and eventually I gave up.
Before complaining you should check the list of requirements for Belarusian citizens who want to travel to the UK (even to catch a flight in the UK airport it costs $85)

An invitation from a tourist company in the United Kingdom showing hotels and accommodation conditions.
Letter describing the route from the local tourism companies.
Confirmation of your financial situation (reference from employer indicating position and salary for the last 6 months, painted on a monthly basis, bank statement)
Evidence of any additional sources of income of your family, including information about the income of husband / wife, and savings, proof of property in Belarus.
A letter from your manager / employer, which stated the following: your name, title, office address, phone number, how long did you work in an organization, at what time you leave is granted and the date of return to work.
A letter from the institution of higher education in the Republic of Belarus (for students), with accurate information about you as a student (faculty, courses, etc.).
A copy of the hotel reservation
A copy of airline tickets reservation
Gradebook (for students).
Employment history.
Valid passport
1 photo (color on a light background) 3.5 x 4.5 cm
+USD 125 (in a country where it is a bit more than in the UK)

:eek:hno:

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Hi.
No, it is not possible, unless you arrive at Minsk-2 airport. In the airport, you can apply for a tourist or business visa. Anyway you will need an invitation letter (for a business visa), a letter from and a contract with a Belarusian travel company (for a tourist visa), and will have to pay $342,00 if you are a citizen of the UK (the price depends on the country).

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Before complaining you should check the list of requirements for Belarusian citizens who want to travel to the UK (even to catch a flight in the UK airport it costs $85)

+USD 125 (in a country where it is a bit more than in the UK)

:eek:hno:
I have no disrespect for Belarussian but you must consider some important details.

Belarus keeps kommunist economy and one party government, really one person government. In Belarus wage are several smaller than in UK and even 3-4 times lesser than in neighbourhooding UE members. Nobody wants here next stream of immigrants especially when they arriving here stright up from comunist country with agressive leader in power and big of people living in poverty. Belarus's government must make a move towards normalisation of politics and economy to become reliable for anyone else except Russia. Belarussians could travel abroad- for example to Poland, Latvia or Lithuania regardless they going to work or just for holidays. Belarussian leader Lukashenka cousing a lot of problems and nobody in UE is fancy to treat him as equal partner.

You found this and I really understand their point of view. Price is very high - it means they don't wish to let into the country the hords of beggars. And those requirements concern to Belarussian citizens whose live in USA.

I examined one issue and I noticed Ukraine doesn't required visa from me - Ukrainian visa not requires for UE citizens but it doesn't work the same when Ukrainians desire to there, they have to require for visas - UK visa for Ukrainians For me Ukrainian's authorities provide a much better politics than Belarus's ones and they ceased comunistic circus long time ago. They still have apply for visas and I met a lot them here in UK, I've never met any Belarussians.

As I said I don't mind about visit in Belarus but I'm very unhappy if I have to require for visa by sending a lot of documents to their embassy or consulate.

80$ for flight? Very cheap flight, very cheap.

Singidunum - can I ask for link to those requirements those you quoted?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
No, it is not possible, unless you arrive at Minsk-2 airport. In the airport, you can apply for a tourist or business visa. Anyway you will need an invitation letter (for a business visa), a letter from and a contract with a Belarusian travel company (for a tourist visa), and will have to pay $342,00 if you are a citizen of the UK (the price depends on the country).
$342 bucks for touristic visa? Lukashenko is mad mate, really he is crazy. :lol:

I regret but I had to give up. I going to Ukraine and probably to Moldova. That country doesn't requires visa from EU citizens as well.

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,203 Posts
As I said I don't mind about visit in Belarus but I'm very unhappy if I have to require for visa by sending a lot of documents to their embassy or consulate.
Too bad for you then. My country is not communist blahblah but it keeps cordial relations with Belarus and thus I don't need a visa to visit Belarus and Belarusians don't need a visa to visit us. We also don't need visas for any of the EU countries EXCEPT the UK. So I guess the "hordes of immigrants" are just waiting for the UK, they don't want to go to any of the other 25+ countries, no they are just waiting for the UK. Give me a break. Just because there were hordes of Poles and Lithuanians, it doesn't mean there would be hordes of Belarusians (plus we are talking about tourists visas here not work visas)

80$ for flight? Very cheap flight, very cheap.
No, read what I write, $85 needs to be paid to the British Govt to be allowed to catch a flight in the UK airport. It's called an "airport transit visa". With such pathetic treatment of course you haven't seen any Belarusians in the UK. For as long as such laws are in place I would evade it like a plague myself. Punishing ordinary Belarusian tourists for political reasons (Lukashenko) is the saddest idea the UK could come up with.

Singidunum - can I ask for link to those requirements those you quoted?
http://ukinbelarus.fco.gov.uk/be/by-visiting-uk/by-visas/supporting-documents

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
$342 bucks for touristic visa? Lukashenko is mad mate, really he is crazy. :lol:

I regret but I had to give up. I going to Ukraine and probably to Moldova. That country doesn't requires visa from EU citizens as well.
$342 is for those British citizens who apply for visa at the airport. In the Belarusian consulate in London it may cost less.
As to Belarus' leader, I fully agree to your assessment of his mental condition. Oddly enough, he pleads to develop tourism in Belarus. But when you look at visa fees at the airport, it becomes clear that he does not really want any foreigners here, and British citizens are among the most unwelcome (second only to Americans with $420 fee).
Nevertheless, I hope some time you will have a chance to visit Belarus and meet Belarusians. Believe me, we are not so hostile as Lukashenko is.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
$342 is for those British citizens who apply for visa at the airport. In the Belarusian consulate in London it may cost less.
As to Belarus' leader, I fully agree to your assessment of his mental condition. Oddly enough, he pleads to develop tourism in Belarus. But when you look at visa fees at the airport, it becomes clear that he does not really want any foreigners here, and British citizens are among the most unwelcome (second only to Americans with $420 fee).
Nevertheless, I hope some time you will have a chance to visit Belarus and meet Belarisians. Believe me, we are not so hostile as Lukashenko is.
I know Belarussians are normally nice people because I have been there when I was young and after I met some of them in Poland and Lithuania. They hosted us, shore food with us etc. I just want to visit in country which couldn't be called as McDonald country if you caught what I mean.

I think I will go there after Lukashenko's fall. That guy is really retarded and he is dragging al of the country's citizens down into big loo instead to let spread their wings.

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,203 Posts
Nevertheless, I hope some time you will have a chance to visit Belarus and meet Belarusians. Believe me, we are not so hostile as Lukashenko is.
It costs GBP 75 ie. USD 120 ie. the exact same as the British visa. It's called reciprocity and the blame is on the British side. If they gave visas to Belarusians for GBP 10 then they would also pay GBP 10 to visit Belarus. And just before someone says this is another Lukashenko madness - many countries maintain this policy for an example Brazil which is not a communist dictatorship and whatnot. Some countries do not maintain full reciprocity for practical reasons (UK citizens do not require visas for Serbia but not vice versa, not all EU citizens can travel to the USA visa free but US citizens can travel to all EU countries visa free etc) but Belarus is simply not one of them. Take a look at that table, "Visa fees for the citizens of Japan and Serbia - GBP 0". You can whine about Japanese and Serbian Govts being better at making consular agreements but that's all.

I know Belarussians are normally nice people because I have been there when I was young and after I met some of them in Poland and Lithuania. They hosted us, shore food with us etc. I just want to visit in country which couldn't be called as McDonald country if you caught what I mean.
If you really wanted to visit you would. Instead you are whining because of the paperwork which is ironically much smaller than the one that is imposed by the UK. But when Belarus seeks documents at the embassy it's "mad dictator" while when the UK does the same (x3 on the number of documents) then it's perfectly fine?!

I think I will go there after Lukashenko's fall. That guy is really retarded and he is dragging al of the country's citizens down into big loo instead to let spread their wings.
Yeah he should tell them "Go and see London my fellow citizens. God will pay for your fees".

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
It costs GBP 75 ie. USD 120 ie. the exact same as the British visa. It's called reciprocity and the blame is on the British side. If they gave visas to Belarusians for GBP 10 then they would also pay GBP 10 to visit Belarus. And just before someone says this is another Lukashenko madness - many countries maintain this policy for an example Brazil which is not a communist dictatorship and whatnot. Some countries do not maintain full reciprocity for practical reasons (UK citizens do not require visas for Serbia but not vice versa, not all EU citizens can travel to the USA visa free but US citizens can travel to all EU countries visa free etc) but Belarus is simply not one of them.
Well, I think all this is a matter of what you really want. I know about reciprocity: it's our government's favourite excuse. The point is that they claim they want to develop tourism in Belarus, they shout about it all the time, they pretend doing everything for it. But in fact it's just hot air. If they wanted to make Belarus attractive for tourists, they would forget about reciprocity, like Ukraine did. Our country can insist on this reciprocity for ever and never move any further. Eventually someone should give way, and I don't see why it should be the EU. Since Belarus is more interested, it should make the first step forward and cancel visas for EU citizens. In fact it is Belarusian people who are interested, but not Belarusian authorities, that's why the government will keep talking about reciprocity.

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,203 Posts
Well, I think all this is a matter of what you really want. I know about reciprocity: it's our government's favourite excuse. The point is that they claim they want to develop tourism in Belarus, they shout about it all the time, they pretend doing everything for it. But in fact it's just hot air. If they wanted to make Belarus attractive for tourists, they would forget about reciprocity, like Ukraine did. Our country can insist on this reciprocity for ever and never move any further. Eventually someone should give way, and I don't see why it should be the EU. Since Belarus is more interested, it should make the first step forward and cancel visas for EU citizens. In fact it is Belarusian people who are interested, but not Belarusian authorities, that's why the government will keep talking about reciprocity.
I agree, I am not defending authorities but I am saying that I don't see much difference between the behavior of the EU/UK authorities and Belarus authorities. They are both wrong here. And yes Belarus is a weaker player there so it will either have to give up reciprocity like Ukraine or Serbia or prolong this state because the EU is even more stubborn and they will not give up. My point is that there is no excuse, when Lukashenko yells reciprocity or when the UK yells mad dictator while they are both doing the same thing. Neither side is doing anything to cancel its own visas or make them easier to obtain so I don't see much difference between them ie. finger pointing that the other side is guilty of something while you are doing the exact same thing is ridiculous.

Also there is another issue, does the EU want to be compared with Lukashenko in its style? Because if Lukashenko wants to maintain reciprocity so be it, the EU should at least make visas free. But they wont, because they are equally stubborn.

181 - 200 of 232 Posts