SkyscraperCity banner

201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
If you really wanted to visit you would. Instead you are whining because of the paperwork which is ironically much smaller than the one that is imposed by the UK. But when Belarus seeks documents at the embassy it's "mad dictator" while when the UK does the same (x3 on the number of documents) then it's perfectly fine?!
I'm not whining I'm consider where I can go for my short holidays, that's all.

I don't claim British fees are ok, but fact is in UK nobody would being imprisoned someone else just for different point of view regarding basic issues. In Belarus nobody could feel safe, in UK people could feel safe. There in Lukashenkoland people have to keep their month shut and they can't afford to say anything against their leader, not loud I mean. In UK political criticism is common and everyone could say "I disagree with this or that". In UK most of people could develop their careers, could buy a house anywhere etc, in Belarus people have to struggle how to survive to end of current month.

There are no revolution or riot in Belarus because Russia takes care of Lukashenka regime and prevent against any disturbances those might occured. Without Russian's and their breath behind Lukashenka's back, Belarus would be a free country with more or less happy poeple whose might work for themselves not for regime.

Earlier or later that paper economy provided by Lukashenka will fall. Nowadays he sell some key industries just for loan from Russia. 3 billion dollars to cover the debt but as some economists from Belarus saying regime needs much more money to survive. After that big purchase could getting worser in Belarus because Russians would find Belarus as colony. The country could become state-dependent of Russia.

Lukashenka is banned in UE, his high-ranking officials as well. Maybe he feels jealous and he'd like to force everybody else to the same - if I couldn't you couldn't as well. Sick guy looked like typical director of kolhoz.

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,203 Posts
I don't claim British fees are ok, but fact is in UK nobody would being imprisoned someone else just for different point of view regarding basic issues. In Belarus nobody could feel safe, in UK people could feel safe. There in Lukashenkoland people have to keep their month shut and they can't afford to say anything against their leader, not loud I mean. In UK political criticism is common and everyone could say "I disagree with this or that".
Politically yes you are right. However chances of getting stabbed randomly in the street are almost 0 in Belarus while in the UK the chances are rather high and extremely high in certain areas. So it's all a matter of perspective. I'd personally prefer a place where I can control if something will happen to me (ie. if I don't go around spreading my opinion on authorities, and I can live without doing that in a foreign country or better say I leave it to the citizens as it's none of my business) over a place with random violent crime.

Btw talking badly about the King of Thailand will get you in a far worse situation than talking badly about Lukashenko yet I don't see the UK calling on sanctions against them. I wont even mention places like Saudi Arabia which are also British allies. I guess it's also a matter of perspective. My perspective is that such double standards are unacceptable, you either care about undemocratic countries and start from the worst (KSA) or you don't. There is no in the middle where you are extremely concerned about the low to medium intensity dictators while you don't care about totalitarian Medieval like regimes.

In UK most of people could develop their careers, could buy a house anywhere etc, in Belarus people have to struggle how to survive to end of current month.
While Belarus was a Polish or Russian colony, the UK was the one that held colonies all over the world. If it was the other way around I am sure the current economic situation would have been different too.

There are no revolution or riot in Belarus because Russia takes care of Lukashenka regime and prevent against any disturbances those might occured. Without Russian's and their breath behind Lukashenka's back, Belarus would be a free country with more or less happy poeple whose might work for themselves not for regime.
Could be but then again Ukraine and Serbia got free of the regime but due to the EU giving Ukraine a finger and Serbia a cold treatment both countries still haven't defeated the old regimes. As the matter of fact they are now back in power in Ukraine. Before turning their back on Russia Belarus should seek guarantees that it will not be forgotten on day two.

The country could become state-dependent of Russia.
And it will if the west doesn't help Belarus because Belarus cannot fight huge Russia by itself.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Singidunum, I can't get why you, a citizen of Serbia, defend Lukashenko regime all the time? It is extremely funny to observe someone defending something which he doesn't realize in a proper way. The fact that you liked Belarus as a tourist doesn't mean that Belarus is a normal European state. For me as for a inhabitant of this country it looks just stupid when someone like you compares Belarus with UK or even with adjacent Lithuania or Poland without having any experience of living here.

Forseeing your possible response I would like to tell you that I have an experience of living in Western Europe so I have a possibility to compare.

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,203 Posts
Singidunum, I can't get why you, a citizen of Serbia, defend Lukashenko regime all the time? It is extremely funny to observe someone defending something which he doesn't realize in a proper way. The fact that you liked Belarus as a tourist doesn't mean that Belarus is a normal European state. For me as for a inhabitant of this country it looks just stupid when someone like you compares Belarus with UK or even with adjacent Lithuania or Poland without having any experience of living here.

Forseeing your possible response I would like to tell you that I have an experience of living in Western Europe so I have a possibility to compare.
I already said I am not defending his regime so I don't see the point of your post :dunno: Maybe you didn't read carefully. I specifically said that it's pathetic for the west to justify their own actions with similar actions of Lukashenko. If Lukashenko is mad why copy his actions? That's all. If both Belarus and UK charge each other with $120 for a visa why is Belarus mad and the UK is not. And why is Brazil not mad for doing the same thing as Belarus. And how could Japan, undoubtedly democratic first world country, find common language on visa issues with Belarus and the UK can't. Those are the things that bother me, and they have nothing to do with who is in power. Like I've said - finger pointing that the other side is guilty of something while you are doing the exact same thing is ridiculous. However the burden of sanity is on the EU, or at least it is supposed to be.

The only part when I was defending Belarus when compared to the UK are crime rates. You can't deny that there are no "no go" suburbs of Minsk where you would get stabbed etc. But this is not related to politics so I don't see how could you interpret it as such. I didn't compare it with Poland or Lithuania, I just said that while Belarus was a colony, the UK and Poland and Russia were colonizers hence their economic advantage that they would have even if Belarus was run by the most efficient and democratic Govt.

I did compare Belarus with Saudi Arabia though by asking why is the UK more concerned with dictatorship in Belarus which, while it definitely is one, is completely mild, if not even democratic, when compared to that same KSA, a country that the UK calls an ally and to whom they don't have anything to object regarding human rights despite the fact that people there get stoned or beheaded for things like infidelity. It's nice that they care about the state of democracy in Belarus but it's not nice that they ignore much much worse place at the same time. And it's not nice that they keep calling Belarus to join the west if they are going to leave it out in the open like they did with Ukraine.

All in all, criticizing mistakes of the EU doesn't mean being pro-Lukashenko (and while criticizing Lukashenko is futile, I hope the EU listens to critics). Or the life under Lukashenko has made you think like him, that critics = foreign funded supporters of the opposition? :)

As for me not having any idea what's it like - check my location.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Maybve it could be better if Belarus would fall nowadays than later. Earlier that lunatic Lukashenka will be kicked out. Nation must get an opportunity to create its own history and repleace primitive communitic economy to modern one. Today Russia keeps Belarus poor borrowing money to dictator but that situation would take place forever. Any day the history would say - this is day zero. It was once in Europe in several countries more than 20 years ago and Belarussians have the same rights to get rid of the sick man and his sick ideas.

·
Awesome User
Cool Bananas
981 Posts
I think it would be nice that Belarus live forever and never fall, and I think that we Belarusians should not listen to people who want Belarus to fall.:evil::evil::evil:
Perhaps, marcin954 meant not Belarus falling, but Lukashenka's falling.

·
Brestensis
656 Posts
I hope that Russia, Ukraine and Belarus will be one country again soon.:)
You wish that metropoly gets back its once occupated colonies, that now have independence? Why don't you wish Mexica gets back Texas? Why do you think that Belarusians and Ukranians want to unite with Russia, are you Russian living in America?

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
26,409 Posts
I hope that Russia, Ukraine and Belarus will be one country again soon.:)
It's ironic that your avatar is a flag of the State of Texas, which stands, or at least stood, for your state's independence, yet you wish others to be subjugated to renewed colonization against their will.

·
Awesome User
Cool Bananas
981 Posts
According the air-traffic obstacle list http://www.ban.by/templates/ban/pdf2/UM-ENR-5.4-en-GB.pdf of Belarus, there should exist at Asipovichy at 53 11 00N 28 35 00E a 370 metres high TV mast. Wikimapia shows there nothing.
Is there such a tall TV mast planned or already under construction?
I couldn't find anything relevant on this topic. Neither constructed nor planned. It may be a mistake (unlikely), or the construction was not announced. If the mast was built, we'd know already.

·
Awesome User
Cool Bananas
981 Posts
The air-traffic obstacle list on http://www.ban.by/templates/ban/pdf2/UM-ENR-5.4-en-GB.pdf is however incomplete. It does not contain an entry for the Sasnovy longwave radio mast, broadcasting on 279 kHz and Orsha TV Mast, but it is estonishing that from a non-demcratic country such a detailed list is online available!
I don't believe this field (standartization and civil cooperation) is influenced much by democracy; we just have a crappy government, like anyone does to a certain degree. :) Wish you luck in your search, and don't hesitate to share the results here!

Btw/ railroad runs near the spot specified in that file. It is unlikely, but maybe I'll have a trip from Slutsk to Asipovichy by train (or just go to forest there to pick some shrooms) and have a chance to look into.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm not whining I'm consider where I can go for my short holidays, that's all.

I don't claim British fees are ok, but fact is in UK nobody would being imprisoned someone else just for different point of view regarding basic issues. In Belarus nobody could feel safe, in UK people could feel safe. There in Lukashenkoland people have to keep their month shut and they can't afford to say anything against their leader, not loud I mean. In UK political criticism is common and everyone could say "I disagree with this or that". In UK most of people could develop their careers, could buy a house anywhere etc, in Belarus people have to struggle how to survive to end of current month.

Earlier or later that paper economy provided by Lukashenka will fall. Nowadays he sell some key industries just for loan from Russia. 3 billion dollars to cover the debt but as some economists from Belarus saying regime needs much more money to survive. After that big purchase could getting worser in Belarus because Russians would find Belarus as colony. The country could become state-dependent of Russia.

Lukashenka is banned in UE, his high-ranking officials as well. Maybe he feels jealous and he'd like to force everybody else to the same - if I couldn't you couldn't as well. Sick guy looked like typical director of kolhoz.
what a troll !!! This is urban and architecture forum - go to propaganda sites with your dribbling.

·
Bratislava citizen
1,373 Posts
Hi folks,

I'm planning to visit Minsk in May for Ice Hockey World Championship and I have a question about city transport, especially busses and trams. Is there any website where can I plan my journey through the city in advance or maybe some map of bus lines and their stops, because I can't find anything related on the internet.

Any help greatly appreciated :)
Thank you

201 - 220 of 232 Posts