SkyscraperCity banner

221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Hi! Well, I'd like to ask something, but first of all, to make clear that is with good intentions if you know what I mean, I also would like to add that I'm incredible impressed with Belarus (especially with Minsk) and I'm what you could call a big fan of the country itself. So, again, with all respect and only because I'm just curious, is there some unclosed issue between the West part of the country (a.ka. the former polish lands before World War 2, like Brest) and the East part?

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
Hi! Well, I'd like to ask something, but first of all, to make clear that is with good intentions if you know what I mean, I also would like to add that I'm incredible impressed with Belarus (especially with Minsk) and I'm what you could call a big fan of the country itself. So, again, with all respect and only because I'm just curious, is there some unclosed issue between the West part of the country (a.ka. the former polish lands before World War 2, like Brest) and the East part?
Hi. For example, what do you mean more concretely?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Well, in short, I mean: is there some strong differences between the West part of Belarus anexed in 1939, wich was part of the Second Republic of Poland and include cities like Brest, and the rest of the country? I mean in languages, culture, etc ect.

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
Well, in short, I mean: is there some strong differences between the West part of Belarus anexed in 1939, wich was part of the Second Republic of Poland and include cities like Brest, and the rest of the country? I mean in languages, culture, etc ect.
In my mind there are no strong differences between this two part. Of course, different regions have their own dialect, distinctive voice features, as in any country.
But this apparent division into east and west of the country, like in Ukraine, is absent.

The most obvious difference between the east (Gomel and Mogilev region) and west (Brest and Grodno region) is the amount of preserved cultural heritage (palaces, castles and manor houses). In the western part of the country they are clearly more preserved.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
For example another difference: the сatholic people live in the west, and the orthodox in the east.

·
Registered
296 Posts
what is ANEXED in 1939?...Those lands were belarussian and had always been populated by belarussians ( Poland illegally occupied those lands in 1920 in violation of Curzon line that was established by Britain and France as eastern border of Poland after ww1) and so in 1939 after Poland stopped to exist as independent country because of German agression , USSR (after Polish government fled to London ) crossed the border and REUNITED 2 parts of Belarus. Those lands (that were in Poland before 1939) are Belarus today and those lands were NOT annexed, but liberated and reunited with other parts of Belarus - even Poles don't deny that today and don't lay claims on those lands !

·
Registered
46,530 Posts
Hi! I'm gonna make a long trip to Europe and Africa in 2018, so I'm currently building my plan for the countries that I'm interested to visit. When it comes to Belarus, I would like to ask you some questions:

• Which cities do you recommend me to go? Also: Which places in those cities do you recommend me to go?
  • Also in those cities: Are there places or neighborhoods that you don't recommend me to go (for safety reasons, crime, etc)?
  • Which national and natural parks do you recommend me to go?
  • What's the most used transportation between the largest cities? How's the situation with Uber in your country?
  • Do you often use cash or credit/debit card? (I usually use cards so I don't have to carry money with me at the hostels)
  • Any other recommendations , safety issues or other advices that you would like to comment on?

Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hi! I'm gonna make a long trip to Europe and Africa in 2018, so I'm currently building my plan for the countries that I'm interested to visit. When it comes to Belarus, I would like to ask you some questions:

• Which cities do you recommend me to go? Also: Which places in those cities do you recommend me to go?
  • Also in those cities: Are there places or neighborhoods that you don't recommend me to go (for safety reasons, crime, etc)?
  • Which national and natural parks do you recommend me to go?
  • What's the most used transportation between the largest cities? How's the situation with Uber in your country?
  • Do you often use cash or credit/debit card? (I usually use cards so I don't have to carry money with me at the hostels)
  • Any other recommendations , safety issues or other advices that you would like to comment on?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Hello! It is a good idea visit Belarus. If you have a brasilian passport you have a visa free for 5 days if you come in Minsk airport.

1.First of all a capital of Belarus- Minsk. The main attractions are: Nezalezhnasti avenue, Upper town, Historical center, Zybickaja street (a bar and restaurant street), Victory Park, Horkava Park and a space near Cirkus.

Then you can go to Brest. You can use a rw.by and buy a ticket to train. Also i recommended you to visit Grodno.
2. Situation with crime in Belarus is good. Don't afraid about this

3. I recommended you to visit a Belavezhskaja forest, it is a oldest forest in Europe. And Unesco object.

4. Uber is working only in Minsk. The transportation is good. You can use trains or buses.

5. You can use a card even in a small belarusian village. No problems

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
what is ANEXED in 1939?...Those lands were belarussian and had always been populated by belarussians ( Poland illegally occupied those lands in 1920 in violation of Curzon line that was established by Britain and France as eastern border of Poland after ww1) and so in 1939 after Poland stopped to exist as independent country because of German agression , USSR (after Polish government fled to London ) crossed the border and REUNITED 2 parts of Belarus. Those lands (that were in Poland before 1939) are Belarus today and those lands were NOT annexed, but liberated and reunited with other parts of Belarus - even Poles don't deny that today and don't lay claims on those lands !
My bad, I should said 'reunited', instead of anexed. I knew that Poland was re-created as a state in 1918 or so, and that then, they occupied those lands ilegally.

Anyway, I'm sattisfied with all your answers. Thanks!

PS: Long time no seeing this forum, sorry for the delay responding :lol:

·
Registered
46,530 Posts
Hello! It is a good idea visit Belarus. If you have a brasilian passport you have a visa free for 5 days if you come in Minsk airport.

1.First of all a capital of Belarus- Minsk. The main attractions are: Nezalezhnasti avenue, Upper town, Historical center, Zybickaja street (a bar and restaurant street), Victory Park, Horkava Park and a space near Cirkus.

Then you can go to Brest. You can use a rw.by and buy a ticket to train. Also i recommended you to visit Grodno.
2. Situation with crime in Belarus is good. Don't afraid about this

3. I recommended you to visit a Belavezhskaja forest, it is a oldest forest in Europe. And Unesco object.

4. Uber is working only in Minsk. The transportation is good. You can use trains or buses.

5. You can use a card even in a small belarusian village. No problems

Thanks a lot :colgate:

221 - 232 of 232 Posts