·
Kosovo is Serbia
3,213 Posts
Razlikuje li neko Jaroksa i Jarila???

Vo imja oca...

·
6,874 Posts
Question:

If you guys know me/spoken to me...... some of you would know that I have 'Serbian' Lineage on my fathers side of the branch. It is an awkward thing because, growing up as a Jewish man, living in a Jewish community in 2 different places in the world it was hard for me to find someone who relates to me as being a Serbian Jew or partially Serbian. However, with the internet came some finding but they were never as big as my friends who came from Jews that has ancestry from Poland, or Hungary. Russia, Morocco, Iraq etc.......

My train of thought was that Serbs liked Jews and that we had similar commonalities especially with past historical issues and more recent issues.

More recently in life, I have met many Serbians who lived in Canada. Many came from Serbia in 1990s as the Balkan wars took place and found Canada home. I met a few but some of them were kinda 'mean' to me in different areas. Some would say to me that "I am not really a Serb" or "I am a fraudulent serb" or that "Serbs cannot be Jews". I spoke to my father about this as some didnt have opinion but others did. My fathers take is that (and my father was born in the WW2) anyone in the Yugoslav empire resented jews and no one really took Jews as their own. There were good people on all sides, but you had others (e.g Ustache, Chetniks, Bosnian SS) who hated jews and even collaborated with killing them. My dads take was that, yes I was born in what is now Serbia. Yes, i spoke Serbian (and can read little and write poorly), but at the end of the day, I am a Jew and that's that. In order to be a Serb, someone has to be (1) Ethnically Serb, (2) Speak Serbian, (3) be part of the Serbian Orthodox religion all of which I am not and my dad only passes probably hurdle #2.

I had distant family who has all (3) from intermarriage. Some have even visited Israel and my family and have kept warm relations. Some didnt and i believe it might have been cause we are Jewish, but I was told that I even have distant of distant relatives in the region who may have married Muslims/Bosniaks too, so i dont know.

More recently I met a Serbian through a friend and we dont talk much, but facebooked one another. This person literally posts daily items which are Pro-Serbian, Pro-Russia, Pro-Orthadox and very anti-Jewish. He even writes that he is awaiting the 2nd coming of Christ and looking to break Jews neck. He is very anti-Zionist/Israeli and seems to be pro-Palestinians (which confuses cause some Palestinians are decedents of Bosnia and supported Bosnia in the 1990s where Israel supported and Armed Serbs). So I am confused.......

Do most....Serbs take jews as locals or is there some sort of stigma for non-Serbs who live/speak in Serbia but are not Orthodox Serbs.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Some people (big minority) belives in a conspiracy theory about Jews being behind the NATO and USA aggression against the Serbs in the nineties (Madeleine Albright for example) or Theodor Meron and also blame Jews for everything bad happens in the world.
That should not be mixed with some people being anti-Zionist/Israeli because we see Israel as a big USA's ally, and every ally of the USA is our enemy.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Question:

If you guys know me/spoken to me...... some of you would know that I have 'Serbian' Lineage on my fathers side of the branch. It is an awkward thing because, growing up as a Jewish man, living in a Jewish community in 2 different places in the world it was hard for me to find someone who relates to me as being a Serbian Jew or partially Serbian. However, with the internet came some finding but they were never as big as my friends who came from Jews that has ancestry from Poland, or Hungary. Russia, Morocco, Iraq etc.......

My train of thought was that Serbs liked Jews and that we had similar commonalities especially with past historical issues and more recent issues.

More recently in life, I have met many Serbians who lived in Canada. Many came from Serbia in 1990s as the Balkan wars took place and found Canada home. I met a few but some of them were kinda 'mean' to me in different areas. Some would say to me that "I am not really a Serb" or "I am a fraudulent serb" or that "Serbs cannot be Jews". I spoke to my father about this as some didnt have opinion but others did. My fathers take is that (and my father was born in the WW2) anyone in the Yugoslav empire resented jews and no one really took Jews as their own. There were good people on all sides, but you had others (e.g Ustache, Chetniks, Bosnian SS) who hated jews and even collaborated with killing them. My dads take was that, yes I was born in what is now Serbia. Yes, i spoke Serbian (and can read little and write poorly), but at the end of the day, I am a Jew and that's that. In order to be a Serb, someone has to be (1) Ethnically Serb, (2) Speak Serbian, (3) be part of the Serbian Orthodox religion all of which I am not and my dad only passes probably hurdle #2.

I had distant family who has all (3) from intermarriage. Some have even visited Israel and my family and have kept warm relations. Some didnt and i believe it might have been cause we are Jewish, but I was told that I even have distant of distant relatives in the region who may have married Muslims/Bosniaks too, so i dont know.

More recently I met a Serbian through a friend and we dont talk much, but facebooked one another. This person literally posts daily items which are Pro-Serbian, Pro-Russia, Pro-Orthadox and very anti-Jewish. He even writes that he is awaiting the 2nd coming of Christ and looking to break Jews neck. He is very anti-Zionist/Israeli and seems to be pro-Palestinians (which confuses cause some Palestinians are decedents of Bosnia and supported Bosnia in the 1990s where Israel supported and Armed Serbs). So I am confused.......

Do most....Serbs take jews as locals or is there some sort of stigma for non-Serbs who live/speak in Serbia but are not Orthodox Serbs.
There is no stigma! I have never heard that Jews have any issues in Serbia because of their religion/nationality. The best way to find out is to come to Serbia and see for yourself. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. :cheers:

·
6,874 Posts
Absolutely no stigma, that guy on facebook is an idiot.
I do realize he is...cause most of his items deal with white supremecy or hint at it......but the probelm is when you look at his comments and likes.... he has a small following of other Serbs who seem to 'like it'... they are mostly from smaller Canadian towns and even in the US like Astoria. NY.

He is anti-Bosnians but seems to be 'cool' with Croatians, possibly because they are also Christian or something? I dont know...but what he posts bothers me a bit.

Дisiдent;166420332 said:
Some people (big minority) belives in a conspiracy theory about Jews being behind the NATO and USA aggression against the Serbs in the nineties (Madeleine Albright for example) or Theodor Meron and also blame Jews for everything bad happens in the world.
That should not be mixed with some people being anti-Zionist/Israeli because we see Israel as a big USA's ally, and every ally of the USA is our enemy.
Yes exactly!
I dont see Madeline Albright as Jewish, she did mention that she later was when she was with the Clinton Administration, but its also people like Bernie Sanders who had videos of him condemning serbs.... fine thats one person who happens to be Jewish make a statement on Serbia, but its not everyone.

You also mentioned that Israel is a close ally of USA, which makes sense, but how come many serbs dont resent say...Iran? I did a quick google and found this:

Bosnia and Herzegovina–Iran relations is historical and bilateral relationship between Bosnia and Herzegovina and Iran. Iran has an embassy in Sarajevo, while Bosnia has an embassy in Tehran. Iran was one of the main supporters of the Bosnian side during the Bosnian War (1992–95).
Not to hate say all Iranians, but how come no says the same about Iran?

There is no stigma! I have never heard that Jews have any issues in Serbia because of their religion/nationality. The best way to find out is to come to Serbia and see for yourself. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised. :cheers:

Thats good to hear and ill take you on that offer.

But the main issue is: do you guys, based on my dads past, based on my VIC last name...take me as one of your own?

I've spoken to Polish Catholics and some have split opinions... they say Jews in Poland, even though they are low in numbers are different from a regular Pole.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
You also mentioned that Israel is a close ally of USA, which makes sense, but how come many serbs dont resent say...Iran?
Serbs sympathises with everyone who come under attack from the USA/NATO... Cuba, Bolivia, North Korea, China, Venezuela, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Yemen, Russia, Belarus... even Afghanistan at a time lol.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I do realize he is...cause most of his items deal with white supremecy or hint at it......but the probelm is when you look at his comments and likes.... he has a small following of other Serbs who seem to 'like it'... they are mostly from smaller Canadian towns and even in the US like Astoria. NY.

He is anti-Bosnians but seems to be 'cool' with Croatians, possibly because they are also Christian or something? I dont know...but what he posts bothers me a bit.

Yes exactly!
I dont see Madeline Albright as Jewish, she did mention that she later was when she was with the Clinton Administration, but its also people like Bernie Sanders who had videos of him condemning serbs.... fine thats one person who happens to be Jewish make a statement on Serbia, but its not everyone.
This is also applicable to that FB serbian guy...
That's one person who happens to be Serbian make a statement on Jews, but its not everyone. Right? :)

You also mentioned that Israel is a close ally of USA, which makes sense, but how come many serbs dont resent say...Iran? I did a quick google and found this:
Not to hate say all Iranians, but how come no says the same about Iran?

The only reason one will support Iran is because they are anti-american at the moment and a big majority in Serbia is anti-american. That doesn't mean that they are anti-isreali. Sounds strange but it is true.

Thats good to hear and ill take you on that offer.

But the main issue is: do you guys, based on my dads past, based on my VIC last name...take me as one of your own?

I've spoken to Polish Catholics and some have split opinions... they say Jews in Poland, even though they are low in numbers are different from a regular Pole.
A short answer is - Yes. People here will accept you as our own.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Question:

First of all, Serbs don't have any issue with Jews in history because when Jews was prosecuted around Europe, Serbs mostly fight for freedom against Ottoman Turkey, during several centuries.

Do you become easier Jew in Israel or Serb in Serbia?

Israel or Serbia are countries where etnicity play role, contrary to "New world" like USA, Canada or Australia. Some will say that "new world" states are not truly nations.

During Second world war in former Yugoslavia existed many military formations.
Chetniks are not agaist Jews, contrary. Serbia was occupied by nazi Germany because Serbian goverment rejected nazi ultimatum 1941-April war. During occupations there existed serbian troops which cooperated with nazis like Serbian Volunteer Corps or Serbian Guard but not chetniks until second half of 1944, when Red army(communist) enter Serbia.
Chetniks are mostly officers Army of Kingdom of Yugoslavia, which survive April war 1941 without be POW or die. They first rebel against nazis, before communist in Serbia and politicly chetniks are represented by Yugoslav goverment and king Petar II in London.
Chetninks are not there real name.
Yugoslav army in Fatherland is original name. Chetnicks are nickname because they fight guerilla war and chetniks are symbols of gueriila war in Serbia much before Second world war, like Komite also.

Israel not supported Serbs in Yugoslavia wars during ninties. Israel play own game for own purpose, unfortunatly. It's game of showing that Israel are not so bad against muslims in Palestine like Serbs are in Bosnia against muslims. Some of most prominent jews in USA media stygmatise Serbs like new nazis during war in Bosnia. They show some camps of muslims in serbian hold teritory but not showing same camps for serbs in muslim or croatian teritory(camps Celebic, which are muslim camp for Serbs and camp Dretelj, which are croatian camp for serbs and later muslims).

Israel show that during celebration of massacred of Serbs in croatia 1995.
On that croatian celebration even most nato members don't go but Israel broke that rule. And that Serbs form croatia die in same concetration camps during Second world war in ushashe croatia with jews. And in croatia, goverment support revisionism of history of Second world war like celebration of ustashe in Bleiburg.

·
6,874 Posts
Дisiдent;166450550 said:
Serbs sympathises with everyone who come under attack from the USA/NATO... Cuba, Bolivia, North Korea, China, Venezuela, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Yemen, Russia, Belarus... even Afghanistan at a time lol.
Make sense, but these countries are either communist or former ally or just a NAM (Non-Aligned Movement).

But is there any animosity for Iran. I see at as two fronts:
1) Iran giving support for Bosnians during the wae
2) Iran using Visa Free access to go to Serbia and then sneak into EU.

·
6,874 Posts
This is also applicable to that FB serbian guy...
That's one person who happens to be Serbian make a statement on Jews, but its not everyone. Right? :)
He is one person and he has a 'folllowing' of some sort big or small, however I would never say to myself that all serbs are like that.
My only question was my own dillemma as I am a small majority from a small community and its hard for me to relate to anyone else as I am....practically the only one!

The only reason one will support Iran is because they are anti-american at the moment and a big majority in Serbia is anti-american. That doesn't mean that they are anti-isreali. Sounds strange but it is true.
Never knew how much animosity there is.
But how come you dont support Israel. We were definately not pro-bosnian/kosovo. Israel was supplying arms to S&M. How come no one gives us a plaque!

A short answer is - Yes. People here will accept you as our own.
One of us! One of us!

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Make sense, but these countries are either communist or former ally or just a NAM (Non-Aligned Movement).

But is there any animosity for Iran. I see at as two fronts:
1) Iran giving support for Bosnians during the wae
2) Iran using Visa Free access to go to Serbia and then sneak into EU.
There is some animosity against Iran especially within the Bosnian Serbs.
On the other hand Iran didnt recognize fake country of Kosovo etc...

·
6,874 Posts
Дisiдent;166470392 said:
There is some animosity against Iran especially within the Bosnian Serbs.
On the other hand Iran didnt recognize fake country of Kosovo etc...
Its actually funny......
Cause one of my gfs friends is dating an 'Albanian' who lived/born in Kosovo.
And she really mouthed off too me for wearing a Serbia Jersey i had since the 2014 WC.

I personally dont like and dont encourage Israel from recognizing them as I see them as an expansion satellite of Albania........

That said, i am open to have more diplomacy among Serbia and Israel!

Economic ties

Economic ties between Israel and Serbia have been rapidly expanding since 2009, in part due to the abolition of visa restrictions between the two countries in September of that year. On February 1, 2012, Serbian president Boris Tadić noted during a ceremony marking 20 years to the renewal of diplomatic ties that Israeli companies have invested more than a billion euros in infrastructures in Serbia.[9]:cheers:

In October 2009, Serbian Interior Minister Ivica Dačić paid a visit to Israel, during which an agreement was signed between the two governments on cooperation in the fight against crime, illegal trade and abuse of narcotics and psychoactive substances, terrorism and other serious criminal acts.[29] :007:

Alleged Israeli weapons amongst Serbs in Bosnia

In 1995, Israeli weapons supplies showed up amongst Serbian militants in Bosnia. However, at the time it was not clear how extensive the supply was, or whether they were provided by state or private arms dealers, or whether the Israeli government had even known or approved of such transfers.[15]

It was subsequently reported that Israel had purposely provided weapons to the Serbs during the Bosnian War, possibly due to the pro-Serbian bias of the government of the time,[16] or possibly in exchange for the immigration of the Sarajevo Jewish community to Israel.[17] It has been alleged that the Israeli intelligence service, Mossad, was responsible for providing Serbian groups with arms.[18] :guns1:
need some arms Srbska!

5141 - 5160 of 5175 Posts