SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just back from umrah, and had the chance to go around Jeddah (olive touch's hometown) for a few hours. Here are some pictures out of a moving car.

By the corniche.. a lot of resorts and hotels coming up. It's a neat road and they've taken care of landscaping..etc unlike other parts of Saudi Arabia.

I dunno what this is, but it looked like a greenhouse with a building under it.

Beautiful mosques in Jeddah, especially by the beach.

The tallest building coming up in Jeddah.. 32 floors.

What looked like a stadium under construction next to the King Fahd Armed Forces Hospital.

Something weird.

In some areas there were a lot of such buildings that reminded me of old Deira.

at-Tahliya district where a lot of designer malls are. Their malls are interesting, but they're a bit like Sharjah's where it's not all open up on each other.. and of course not many people inside. An American flavour to everything over there.

Pink reflective glass. Very Abu Dhabi. Very "Arabo".

A nice old building ruined by unit air conditioners.

A nice place overall, but the King AbdulAziz Airport needs major updating. As does Saudi driving.

Although the Venice Islands seem interesting, I think Jeddah itself needs more work before going on to thinking of artificial islands. They've got plenty of space.

I have a few images of Makkah and Madinah.. I may post them later if I'm bothered. There's also a very good detailed article about the Saudi rail project from Saudi Arabian Airlines' inflight magazine which I got. I thought Olive Touch will like it since he's always complaining of lack of info available on the internet about KSA.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Great pics swan princess you surely took pictures of the best of the best! No venice island is really what the locals want, like my fiance's father he keeps going on and on from jeddah to dubai and he has had enough lol he wants to have a little kind of dubai in jeddah and believe me he isnt the only one so thats why they want Venice island its a huge project but the locals really want it, not only in jeddah but in riyadh also (mainly respected families and rich people) in fact if you want to talk about empty space the mid-east is the last place :D... we have A LOT! and we will always have. Our population isnt like china's, to fill it up!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Swan Princess welcome and thank you so much for the photos. Jeddah is
your town not mine only :). I like your name. Specially if it is roasted and
stuffed with rice and vegetables yammm.

About this photo under, it is an old real Monument water condenser that was
used about 100 or 90 years ago.
Swan Princess said:
Here is the original of the sea-water condensers that was built by the Turks.
(the picture was taken in Jeddah about 88 years ago)

This is a privet castle of a business man.
Swan Princess said:
This project is Cornish Dreamers I did not know they started the project already : ).

Swan Princess said:
Very nice photos!
Thank you.
Olive Touch

·
Come on!
877 Posts
Swan Princess said:
I'm just back from umrah, and had the chance to go around Jeddah (olive touch's hometown) for a few hours. Here are some pictures out of a moving car.
Hi Princess, and Umra magbula :)

By the corniche.. a lot of resorts and hotels coming up. It's a neat road and they've taken care of landscaping..etc unlike other parts of Saudi Arabia.

I dunno what this is, but it looked like a greenhouse with a building under it.

As Olive mentioned, it is a mansion. The idea behind this eyesore is to have a tropical garden inside.

Beautiful mosques in Jeddah, especially by the beach.

The tallest building coming up in Jeddah.. 32 floors.

What looked like a stadium under construction next to the King Fahd Armed Forces Hospital.

That's the National Guard stadium, it's twice the size of Jeddah stadium, but it is only used by the armed forces :bash: . Actually, it's pretty brave of you to take a photo there. It is a high security area. You have the massive national guard complex, and behind it is the entrance to the Salam palace (the king's summer home).
Something weird.

In some areas there were a lot of such buildings that reminded me of old Deira.

at-Tahliya district where a lot of designer malls are. Their malls are interesting, but they're a bit like Sharjah's where it's not all open up on each other.. and of course not many people inside. An American flavour to everything over there.

American! :rolleyes:
Jeddah is a lot more European than American, particularly the older districts. For American style suburban sprawl see Khobar. The town is empty only in the day time, by night it is VERY busy. Peak time in Tahlia is after Isha.

Pink reflective glass. Very Abu Dhabi. Very "Arabo".

A nice old building ruined by unit air conditioners.

A nice place overall, but the King AbdulAziz Airport needs major updating. As does Saudi driving.
Well it was a bungle from the start. Construction began during King Faisal's reign, but delays and problems dogged it from the start. It opened in 1981! They are supposedly overhauling and expanding the airport, but I still haven't seen any physical evidence of work.

Although the Venice Islands seem interesting, I think Jeddah itself needs more work before going on to thinking of artificial islands. They've got plenty of space.
I agree with you there. None of the Gulf countries (except Bahrain) have any need to reclaim land. But greed ... :(

I have a few images of Makkah and Madinah.. I may post them later if I'm bothered. There's also a very good detailed article about the Saudi rail project from Saudi Arabian Airlines' inflight magazine which I got. I thought Olive Touch will like it since he's always complaining of lack of info available on the internet about KSA.
Yes please post your images of Makkah and Madinah.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the explanation olive touch

HiJazzey said:
Hi Princess, and Umra magbula :)
thanks

That's the National Guard stadium, it's twice the size of Jeddah stadium, but it is only used by the armed forces :bash: . Actually, it's pretty brave of you to take a photo there. It is a high security area.
i didn't know that.

American! :rolleyes:
Jeddah is a lot more European than American, particularly the older districts. For American style suburban sprawl see Khobar. The town is empty only in the day time, by night it is VERY busy. Peak time in Tahlia is after Isha.
I didn't mean design-wise.. just a flavour in the country as a whole. In the UAE for example, when they give instructions in English in the airport or wherever they use a British accent, in KSA it's American. In the UAE most cars you see on the road are Japanese or German.. in KSA they're American. There are also some American brands that are only available in KSA and not in other Gulf or European countries, such as Victoria's Secret, and they have American brands of toiletries and other stuff.. i dunno, it's these details that catch my attention. their video games stores all sell NTSC format, and not PAL. so that's why i think they have an american "flavour".

Yes please post your images of Makkah and Madinah.
i'll open a thread now.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Swan princess most of saudis speak british accents! except ones who studied abroad in the USA or CANADA, thought now saudis go more to canada to study than the USA. For the american cars, no most saudis have european cars, many propoganda is streaming in the mid-east about american products supporting isrealis and japanese products supporting american troops. in egypt the locals banned everything american it was the most in all the mid-east! true SOME! still are attached but the vaste majority stopped buying coca-cola,etc. the ones who didnt really ban american products*talking about locals* was in the gulf mainly, UAE, Kuwait. UAE is very open they cant really ban a certain thing because they have everything! but in Kuwait its like divvided into 2 pro-american and anti-american. the Mid-east is PAL not NTSC, NTSC are certainly imports, Thought i hear that recently many NTSC products have made their way into the kingdom. For video games there is law currently under issue wether to ban video games like they did to ban pokemon and Barby dolls.

KSA doesnt really have all brands, cause in UAE they have everything in KSA and even 1000 times more! most american products come in to the mid-east by a company called Americana (its kuwaiti) they kind of represent american business to the gulf, such as KFC, McDonalds,etc. Saudi arabia like i said isnt more american than the gulf you will see 10 new american brands in kuwait,UAE before seeing 1 in Saudi Arabia.

In all the mid-east they are more euro than american except! for kuwait, Aramco and its surroundings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Anas Anani, I seriously have no clue what your talking about. I've been to Dubai sevreal times, and to Bahrain (never to Kuwait or Qatar), and to tell you the truth, I have never found any products that are offered in either of these countries that are not offered in Saudi Arabia (with the exception of Burberry's and Woolworths, they ahve them in Dubai, in Saudi Burberry's in sold at Harvey Nichols and Saks Fifth Avenue). As for electornics, don't get me started, they have a bigger selection than America does.

Anas, I don't want to argue, and I respect your opinion, but I really don't know why you keep on bashing Saudi Arabia, and supporting every other country...

·
Banned
362 Posts
Saudi Dunes! UAE is known to have the best shopping malls, Best restaurants in the mid-east and the world! UAE has a lot more options than the rest. Dubai was made to attract foreing tourists(businessmen), Saudi Arabia isnt a touristic country, It doesnt even issue a Tourist Visa, so Saudi Dunes UAE is smaller than Saudi Arabia but Dubai has everything! its like the big market now. And for electronics if we talk about computer parts. Saudi Arabia with the exception of Riyadh doesnt really have the wide selection dubai has, Actually in computer electronic seminars that happen in dubai many saudis go there because big companies are switching location and making dubai their main location for the mid-east, like Sony (the first pioneer to do so). I'm not bashing or supporting anything facts should be known. UAE is really the best country in the mid-east now, besides its the safest, most open (not many restrictions) and it has all the service facilities anyone needs everywhere :D. For other electric appliances excluding Hardware (such as monitors,video cards, etc.) Saudi would win the battle lol.

·
Banned
358 Posts
Anas,

She was in Jeddah few days ago and she saw everything. Why are you correcting things she SAW?

And NO, not most Saudis have European cars. American and Japanese cars sell much more in Saudi

oh, by the way, "Amricana" is a catering company and they don't represent American business in the gulf. They only have few FOOD products. And they didn't bring McDonald's to Saudi Arabia. They are only the frenchisers of Hardees and KFC!

·
Come on!
877 Posts
Japanese cars are the most popular by miles. I'd say 2/3 of all cars in Saudi are either Toyotas or Nissans. Heck, there are more Camrys than all american cars put together!

As for shopping, both have a big selection. You're not left wanting in either place.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
what kind of cars do Saudis like to drive, and by that I don't mean American vs.Japanese vs. European but SUV vs. Sedan vs. Compact vs. Station Wagon. I believe that many Saudi families have a lot of children, do they therefore tend to favor station wagons, minivans, and other vehicles with a high capacity ?

Also, if I am not wrong, women are not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia. How do they commute to their workplaces if there is hardly any mass transit ? I don't mean this to be a religious question, just a transportation one ! :) Thanks !

·
Registered
327 Posts
Jeddah has its own flavor not that only but also mixture of Arabic, American,
European, African and Asian flavor.

You have Al Balad (Old Jeddah, The old Downtown, the new downtown,
Sultan Street, Cornich, Jama'a, Tahliya street, Ubhor, Killo 2 ..etc each is
unique! It is kind of interesting to put each of those locations in one category
because they each has its own identity no matter if it is Arabic or American,
European or African.

About British accent, Saudi main English is British English and this is what we
been taught in schools. Still some people speak American English (like me
since I am in America now) but they are less then the British English speaking.

About cars, HiJazzey was so right.

·
Registered
327 Posts
urbane If you are interested on cars here is a site in Arabic from Jeddah:
http://www.jeddahboys.com/fgallery/...=6&sessionid=daa26e0fa8ed466ea834cdbf7aade94b

I am not big fan of cars, in fact I walk more then I drive even in the hottest
days in Jeddah.

About women driving, limozins are everywhere and anytime even 4 AM, more
then you imagine. Also many families have drivers.

For God sake there are even 4 limosins behind each others on the photo,
Count how many limozins are there in this photo for example hehe.

If they did not use limozins there are many other ways. For example when
my sister want to shop/visit friends/ go to work, sometimes I take her,
sometimes the driver sometimes her friend come and pick her up also her
husband do so.

It is really not a big problem. I think they are too lucky for not driving.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Olive touch: thanks for the info. I think that by limousines you mean taxis, and there are indeed many in that photo.

It seems to me that women rely mostly on their kinship networks, cabs, and hired chaffeurs. However, can every family can afford a full-time chaffeur or many cab-rides (even if those are cheap)? If not, does a working woman solely rely on her male relatives for transportation ? Is that a big burden on the male relatives to have to drive her and pick her up to places ?

I am actually not that interested in cars per se myself, I was just curious as to how your social system, family system etc,. affect your transportation choices. I am a little surprised that you walk everywhere though: from the many photos of Saudi Arabia I have seen, it seems that most urban areas, with the exception of city centers are rather car oriented (large roads with many lanes, buildings separated by big parking lots etc.) but I may be wrong.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When a female sits in a car alone with a male chauffer, it is considered khulwa and it's Islamically forbidden. This is why I disagree with the concept of using a personal chauffer if there are no other companions in the car.

If women aren't allowed to drive, then the use of personal chauffers should also be banned. I also think from Saudi driving it is very apparent that most bad driving on roads comes from men.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.