Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry to open a new thread about this but i just wanted to know if someone from manchester could give me some info. im going to germany but im gonna stop in manchester for 12 hours. do you know whats the best way to get to downtown manchester and where is the best place to go to eat some nice breakfast and dinner. to drink some good beer at a nice bar and where there are some attractive girls. and any parts of downtown with good shops/attractive buildings etc. thank you :)

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Lots of trains from the airport.
Try having breakfast or dinner in one the hotels (Hilton/ Radisson/ Malmaison) alll nice buildings and good food.
Wander to the 'bottom' end of town for browsing and shopping - ask for the St Annes Sq/ King Street / Triangle area.
Depends what sort of girls you like and what day you arrive on for your other questions.
DEansgate Locks? Or Canal Street if you are not homophobic! Northern Quarter has lots of bars and/ or pretty girls.

·
Towerholic
1,421 Posts
Have breakfast in china town. There is a chinese bakery that serve some delicious food.

As for dinner it depends on what sort of meal you want. The french restraunt in the Midland hotel if you being fancy, Demitries near the hilton hotel for good tapas at good value, pub food at riverside Mark Addy for good pub food, or Nandos for some dirt cheap but very nice piri piri chicken.:)

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Train from Airport to Piccadilly Station.

Then note that the Metroshuttle bus services are frequent (during working hours); and free. Pretty well anywhere in the Central Business District (which is not large) is easily accessible on the Metroshuttle route.

There are several handy guide books you can get in the station which list the best bars etc - The "City Life" guidebook is the best.

For pubs - I would particularly recommend Mr Thomas's Chop House on Cross Street as a well preserved Edwardian drinking establishment - with good beer, and good food.

Peveril of the Peak, and The Briton's Protection (both near the Bridgewater Hall) - are also much admired.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Good buildings:

Taken for granted by Mancs, but jaw-dropping for most visitors, is the Royal Exchange - go inside to see the theatre, plus cafes, bars, shops. Generally the area around St Anns Square is best for smart buildings and shops.

If you are looking for excellent, inexpensive, pizza; the best place is Croma on Clarence Street (just off Albert Square). Also a good place to view local talent - or so I am told (I have eyes only for Mrs Nerd, and I'm not sharing).

·
Banned
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks everyone for all the suggestions :). i guess ill be taking the train. and im writing down all of your suggestions. it's only a few hours but ive never been to manchester so ill try to make the best time of these hours. thanks again

·
Banned
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i definetally will. now i just found out that im gonna spend 1 whole night in manchester. do any of you know any economic hotel where i can stay at in downtown?

thanks a lot

·
Registered
552 Posts
Lots of trains from the airport.
Try having breakfast or dinner in one the hotels (Hilton/ Radisson/ Malmaison) alll nice buildings and good food.
Wander to the 'bottom' end of town for browsing and shopping - ask for the St Annes Sq/ King Street / Triangle area.
Depends what sort of girls you like and what day you arrive on for your other questions.
DEansgate Locks? Or Canal Street if you are not homophobic! Northern Quarter has lots of bars and/ or pretty girls.
Had lunch in the Malmaison a week or two back. I think they call it Nouveau Cuisine or something anyway not enough to feed my cat let alone me and expensive. Not to my taste and not value for money why not try Sam's Chop House for example.

·
Towerholic
1,421 Posts
You've got load of budget ones.

here's a few.

http://www.wotif.com/hotels/united-kingdom-manchester-hotels.html

Check that it's a downtown/city center one.

Jurys inn is supposed to be fairly cheap and a good place to stay. Good location as well.

The travellers retreat is a kinda backpackers hostel which is right in the middle of the northern quarter (very boho area)

If you want a fantastic view then try the Hilton. You might get lucky and get a 22 floor room.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts