SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In 1978, Quito's historic district was the first world heritage site declared by UNESCO.

The city was founded in 1534 and it's located at 2850 meters over sea level with a population of 2 million people in its metro area. It's the capital and/or relevant city that's the hightest in the world second to La Paz, Bolivia. Relatively close to Quito, we can also find "Ciudad Mitad del Mundo" also known as "Middle of the World".

Quito is the largest, least-altered, and best preserved historic district in Latin America (stated by UNESCO). Today though it is the capital of Ecuador, it's the second largest city. (All pictures are from flickr)

First some pictures showing the size of the historic district; which is totally separated from the more modern part of town & the financial district

Open Picture

Open Picture

Open Picture

Open Picture

Now some pics of some squares

And some churches

General night view...

Open Picture

Quito's cathedral is not the most famous church, you'll see why in a bit...

La Compañia (one of the best representation of barroque style in Latin America).

A treassure of its own...

La Basilica - it's the tallest building (I believe) of the city of Quito with 115 meters in height (5 meters taller that New York's Saint Patrick's Cathedral. It is also the best representation of neo-gotic style in L.A.)

Open Picture

The gargoyles of the Basilica represent Ecuador's fauna

Some cobblestone streets...

The wires on top in some of the pictures are to move the massive transport system called "TROLEBUS" similar to San Francisco's.

The Trolebus is an old massive transport system (believe 15 years old) and it's being planned a lightrail to replace it

Palaces, theaters, museums, and others...

Carondelet - the president's house (unlike others the current president is not living there)

Museum

Sucre Theater

·
termino no inapropiado
2,275 Posts
very beautiful city!
we have some similar looking places in argentina, but none of them is so extensive, untouched and located in such a big city.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Very nice looking city. Too bad it doesn't have a skyline. Or does it, and its just not pictured?
These pictures are just of the historic colonial district - Quito does have somewhat a skyline but constructions are not tall due to the proximity of the airport; which will actually no longer be a problem in a couple of years after they open the new airport very far from the city. Also, since the city is surrounded by huge volcanoes, it complicates landing and having tall towers will even complicate this even more since as is it's one of the toughest places to land on earth. Furthermore, we have to remember though that earthquakes here in the Andes region are quite common (taken the one in Peru recently as an example) and in Ecuador they register minor quakes even on a weekly basis - they are constant.

Only this natural beauty can humilliate Quito's historic district. As I mentioned the city is surrounded by volcanoes - here are pics of three of them
Volcano Cotopaxi as seen from Quito - Cotopaxi is one of the three of four volcanoes in the world (after Mount Fuji, another one in Philliphines, and another one in Chile I believe) with a perfect cone. With 5897 meters, it's also the active volcano closest to the sun as it's located right on the Equator.
Open Picture

Volcano Cayambe as seen from Quito
Open Picture

Volcano Antisana as seen from Quito
Open Picture

Those without a heart problem could also go up the "Teleférico". Already at 2850 meters, on top people can reach altitudes of 4050 meters over sea level - and thus see other snowcapped mountains that sometimes are hard to be seen from the city itself. On the base, there is a theme park like at 3,000 meters over sea level so that people can loosen up before reaching the top. :)
Open Picture

Open Picture

Open Picture

In a clear day I believe that even the Chimborazo volcano can be seen. This is the point in earth closest to the sun or furtherst away from the core of the earth (mount everest is the tallest from sea level) as it's located by the equator. Volcano Chimborazo is inactive but measures 6384 meters in height.
Open Picture

·
Desde Guayaquil, Ecuador
3,759 Posts
Very nice looking city. Too bad it doesn't have a skyline. Or does it, and its just not pictured?
This is a pic of the modern section of the city, well ...a part...

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Very impressive...

Thanks for posting...:cheers:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a pic of the modern section of the city, well ...a part...
Pacus, that picture is quite old. Don't you have a better one? You can find plenty in flickr.com. Also, the intention of the thread is not really to show the modern part of Quito (especially because every mid-size city in the world has that) but rather its historic district & other places of interest in town. So, let's try to keep those pics to a minimum. Gracias!!! :)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I always thought that I might visit Ecuador...maybe. After seeing your thread
I feel that the possibility of me going is very great. Thank you for putting together such a beautiful thread!
Have you visited my thread about Cuenca, Ecuador? Click on the link below in my signature and you will get to know another world heritage site by UNESCO. I promise you won't be dissappointed and that may be just one more reason to visit this wonderful country! :)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are some pictures where you can see a statue on top of the hill by the name of "El Panecillo". It seems that this statue is small but it's actually 43 meters high (maybe like 141 ft) and it's made of aluminum. I believe this is the biggest monument/statue in the world made of aluminum (just to have an idea, this is slightly bigger than the statue of liberty in NYC)

[Open Left Picture] [Open Right Picture]

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad you guys like it. Here is another set of pics.
The Basilica is really impressing!

Another shot of the Basilica & another one of the historic district as seen from another angle.

The Governor's Palace

The President's House

Plaza Grande or Big Square

Another one of the Cathedral - it's written "Es Gloria de Quito el Descubrimiento del Rio Amazonas"; which translates to "It's the Glory of Quito the Disvovery of the Amazon River" as the expedition began here.

One more shot of this beautful bulding - not sure what it hosts though.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
an amazing city, what a truly undiscovered gem. Some pics look lifted straight off a Greek island, others from a baroque East European city.
How about Spain? Dude, we were colonized by the spaniards. Hahaha... but I take your comments as you like the city regardless of what european style it looks like. :colgate:

In all seriousness, Quito is just unique as it follows its own arquitecture style.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.