Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
<Witty comment here>
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Radio Sheffield reporting that the world famous Roneys has burnt down due to an electrical fire. A sad day for pork sandwich lovers across the city :(

:eek2:

·
BAND
12,222 Posts
:eek: I assume this is the one on Ecclesall Road? :(

You can still get delicious Roneys sandwiches from the one in Crosspool :yes: (Well at least I hope the Crosspool one hasn't burnt down, as a mate lives above it...)

·
Registered
744 Posts
........................................................................... what words can be used to express my grief?

this is a truly terrible day. i'm devastated that i cannot be there to help with the relief effort. still, that must have been one of the best smelling fires ever! mmmmm....

i'd be extremely surprised if they don't reopen considering the daily business they do. i reckon the christmas trade alone would keep them nicely financed for an entire year. truly is the end of an era.

RIP (roasting incredible pork)

·
<Witty comment here>
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:eek: I assume this is the one on Ecclesall Road? :(

You can still get delicious Roneys sandwiches from the one in Crosspool :yes: (Well at least I hope the Crosspool one hasn't burnt down, as a mate lives above it...)
I didn't know they had two branches! But yes, Ecclesall Rd offshoot one.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Terrible news since this was the one day I needed to use the post office next door to it! I presumed it would be out of bounds but found a stamp anyway. I live directly behind roneys, there's only the church, porter brook and a small grassy area between me and the store. Didn't get any black smoke though? must have been moving in the other direction.

Of course, thank god this happened in the early hours of the morning and not during the lunch time rush when as many as 500 can be found daily waiting to purchase sandwiches. Hope its back up on its feet soon. I might have a quick gander on my way home - does anyone know the extent of the damage?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The special next weeks "Smoked Pork sandwiches" or "Smoked Sausages". ;)

Not been in for years, used to be a regular for the lunch sandwich run when worked in Netherdge. Some of the best Hot Roast pork going :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
i've had my spies go down to sharrowvale and send me some photos from the disaster zone. the damage is not as bad as i was expecting actually. the windows are gone, there's a lot of smoke damage and a fair amount of melted stuff inside but no structural damage (that i could see). being a butchers there's not all that much flammable material inside i suppose. the interior is mostly metal surfaces and tiled floors. i have also been told that an entire rack of walkers crisps on the counter remained completely unharmed.

i went on the sheffield forum to read about this last night (desperate times etc...) and the owner of roneys had posted a note saying they'd be back up and running asap. i reckon they could get the work done for free considering the amount of tradesmen they fuel every lunchtime.

one more time with feeling

·
E = MC²
5,563 Posts
Roneys,

Don't be fooled about fires in buildings. The damage may look trivial but often an incredible amount of work needs to be done to bring the building back into use. Rewiring, ceilings replacing / replasterting.

In a house fire, often everything which is not solid has to be skipped even if it is a local fire due to the smoke damage. Carpets, curtains, furnature, beds. Although this is a business and you imagine that there would be nothing to burn, I bet the back yard will be piled high with lots of ruined equipment and fittings.

It may actually be much quicker to completely gut the building back to a shell.

·
Registered
744 Posts
yeah you're right. i'm sure there is a lot of work to do but when the first post said 'roneys the butchers has burned down' i expected something a lot worse like a full structural collapse.

actually when i worked at the marriott hotel a few years back we experienced a similar kitchen fire and the immediate damage looked terrible. in the end however it was a very quick fix to get it back up and running. of course they left the staff quarters undecorated for weeks (stinking of smoke) while they waited on the insurance money. sometimes guests would poke their heads through the door looking for a member of staff to find us working in a disgusting charred room! aah, good times.

guess we'll just have to wait and see how bad it really is in roney's. i just hope i'll be able to have my hot roast sandwich when i come home at christmas.

·
<Witty comment here>
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only one WORLD FAMOUS pork shop though ;)

Visited by such greats as, Chris Waddle, and me.

·
<Witty comment here>
3,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm heading down that area of town this afternoon, if I remember, I'll try and get some pictures and attempt to hold back the tears.

Roneys today, do you want any flowers leaving? ;)

·
Registered
744 Posts
yes please mate, that would be great. make sure they're pork coloured.

i'm actually considering a follow-up song in honour of the fallen. maybe i'll film a video in classic charity song style - some big white t-shirts, lots of celebrities in the studio, big headphones etc.

·
Registered
744 Posts
precisely. the template for all good charity songs.

i've recently had the misfortune of watching the video to the shocking 'we are ready', performed by what looks like every celebrity in china. it's a wonderful piece of spirit boosting nonsense/propaganda. apparently every primary school student in HK is being forced to learn it. yikes!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts