Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rabin center Tel Aviv / arch. Moshe Safdie

Commissioned as a memorial to the slain Israeli leader, the center will include a museum focusing on Rabin's life and times, a museum of defense, an auditorium, a research institute devoted to the study of the era, a library/archive, and a Great Hall for multi-purpose use. The complex is located in northern Tel Aviv atop an abandoned wartime emergency generating station. The power station's outer wall forms a cliff-like structure overlooking the Yrkon River. Above this structure, a two-story arcade traverses east to west and opens to a roof terrace overlooking the city to the south. The Great Hall protrudes toward the south and affords dramatic views of the metropolitan region and the Mediterranean. The 'life' museum consists of a series of galleries arranged around a two-story descending spiral. Both the Great Hall and the library are roofed by a series of undulating, curved, shell-like elements, creating shade over the glazed walls and reflecting diffused light inward.

·
Somnium Quinti
693 Posts
The shells dont fit with the rest of the project at all. Otherwise it looks nice but their forms realy do unbalance the design.

·
----
Exacerbator
933 Posts
The shells dont fit with the rest of the project at all. Otherwise it looks nice but their forms realy do unbalance the design.
I actually fully agree. It's better to see the end result to pass judgement, but I don't like the shells too much.

·
Somnium Quinti
693 Posts
azazel said:
It's better to see the end result to pass judgement
too true. Im gona go drive past the site when I get to Israel on Wesdnesday to see if there is alot of progress.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
The words "unbelievably ugly" and "worthless piece of architecture" come to mind..

I dont know what it symbolizes to you, for me it looks like two giant tissues accidently fell on a lenin-style mosuleum.

The only REALLY interesting thing there is the David Ben Gurion's bunker
that he commisioned for an underground powerstation so that if arab countries struck that of reading this one would have been a backup, and of course it was a waste of money and never worked once.
It will become soon the IDF museum.. a bunker.. how symbolic.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
by the way anybody guess what those three ugly giant square pools are for?
I think they changed them from pools to a lawn, otherwise it will be the
most neglected empty garden in tel aviv

1 - 12 of 12 Posts