SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
BUMMED
2,626 Posts
Venice is the most perfectly picturesque and beautiful city in Europe! ANd those pics tell me millions of reasons.

·
The Transporter
3,163 Posts
Very nice pics... and very nice city :D :D :D

·
Gotta lite?
5,939 Posts
Great photos of one of the most unique city in the world.

But trust me on this. No photos can ever prepare you for Venice. It's not just how it looks, it's how it feels as well, and it doesn't feel like any other place on earth.

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Cool shots for the beautiful city !

·
Gotta lite?
5,939 Posts
Accura said:
Beautiful pics. I really hope they stop it sinking.
When I was over there earlier this year a couple of locals had told me that it has stopped sinking. The main problem was the water wells bored at the turn of the last century. They sucked up the water table under the city and increased the rate the city was sinking dramatically. This was realized by the 1950's and they closed off the wells. It took a few decades, but much of the sinking has stopped. There is still isolated cases, but mostly confined to specific buildings and that is more manageable.

Of cause there are other problems. One being the high tide surges. These are usually caused by weather fronts during normal extra high tides. An excellent solution has been proposed which is to build barriers across the three main entrances to the Lagoon. Normally these will be open, and when open, they would hardly be seen as the barriers will be under water. But when a high tide and storm front is predicted, they will close each of the openings. Most people support this plan, but a few hard core environmentalists are trying to block it as they fear a few frogs may not be able to leave during the brief closed periods.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts