Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2006/07/26/racism-montreal.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2007/04/04/qc-benweider20070404.html

Time for this thread since the one on racism in Calgary clubs got such notice.

Look for threads titled "Racism in Toronto" and "Racism in Vancouver" to follow. Important threads that need to be revisited. Again and again.
Hmmmm, nah, I won't look for them, if you're going to act like that. Try a different approach.

·
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.
2,644 Posts
The people of Alberta aren't any more racist that people in the rest of the country.

·
Toon Town bandit
880 Posts
I think his post is needed around here. mabey other formers will think twice before posting crap. you know who you are. ;)

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
I think his post is needed around here. mabey other formers will think twice before posting crap. you know who you are. ;)
uh huh, my topic on Racism in Calgary wasn't attacking Calgary....simply showing what i thought was shocking footage. it's obvious that racism occurs everywhere, in government, schools, bars, everywhere across Canada, not just Calgary.

i think the person who made this petty topic was insecure. ;)

·
Oberste Richter
1,862 Posts
i didnt feel any racism during my short vacation in TO, people were nice, and i felt like i wanted to live there for good...

although, i think racism is a natural human tendency...we fear what we do not understand, thus we tend to discriminate...even people like me that come from a third world country could have 'racist' tendencies against people from the first world...

·
Registered
157 Posts
rural Quebec is racist to the extreme. my dad got the sh*t kicked out of him because he moved to a small city and his french wasnt all that good. (live in manitoba for 4 years before moving back to Quebec.)

·
Banned
2,257 Posts

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
But I thought that everything north of the border was so civilized and so against us evil people south of the border who love to lynch people and shoot others running across the border.

Woe is me!

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
But I thought that everything north of the border was so civilized and so against us evil people south of the border who love to lynch people and shoot others running across the border.

Woe is me!
Nope, we're both over generalizing bastards. ;)

Woe is us!

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts

Woe is me!

Funny you should mention that! Canada actually had a lynching of its own, once. A gang of Americans illegally crossed the Canadian border one night back in the very early 1800's on the hunt for a runaway slave boy who had escaped to Canada. They caught him and were trying to lynch him, but the Canadian town rose up against them and repelled them back across the border! Let's just say slave hunters were not popular on this side of the border, and we'll leave it at that. Isn't it nice that we share some common history? Thanks for checking in today! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Threads started out of spite usually get locked. The smart thing would have been just to post it. I don't mind reading about the truth regardless what city it is, but can the vendetta. Please!

At least we're all on the same page regarding prejudice.. towards colour at least.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Threads started out of spite usually get locked. The smart thing would have been just to post it. I don't mind reading about the truth regardless what city it is, but can the vendetta. Please!

At least we're all on the same page regarding prejudice.. towards colour at least.
Yup. All points have been made, and time to put an end to the "Racism" threads for a wee bit.

·
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.
2,644 Posts
Funny you should mention that! Canada actually had a lynching of its own, once. A gang of Americans illegally crossed the Canadian border one night back in the very early 1800's on the hunt for a runaway slave boy who had escaped to Canada. They caught him and were trying to lynch him, but the Canadian town rose up against them and repelled them back across the border! Let's just say slave hunters were not popular on this side of the border, and we'll leave it at that. Isn't it nice that we share some common history? Thanks for checking in today! :cheers:
There apparently was another case of racist 'mericans entering Canada (as undocumented aliens) to lynch a boy (an Indian this time). I guess the best we can say about the 'mericans is that they were/are equal opportunity racists:

"In 1884, an American lynch mob crossed the border from Washington Territory
into British Columbia and hanged a 14-year-old Sto:lo boy who was in the
custody of Canadian police. The lynch mob claimed to be seeking justice for
the murder of a Washington shopkeeper but Carlson's investigative research
has revealed that the shopkeeper's murder was actually committed by one of
the lynch mob members - not young Louie Sam.

Until Carlson's research, the tragic tale of Louie Sam was the stuff of
local legend, virtually unknown outside the Sto:lo community. In the U.S.,
however, it was the lynch mob's version of events which prevailed and became
historical record.

Following the screening, Carlson will present a talk on the research that
led to the making of the film and about the bizarre, carnivalesque
atmosphere of the lynching itself. Carlson will also discuss the latest
international political implications of the story's resurfacing.

With Carlson's input, Washington's Legislature is now working to develop a
public apology to the Sto:lo Nation to be tabled this session. Along with
acting as consultant to Washington's Lieutenant Governor Brad Owen, Carlson
has also been in close communication with British Columbia's Lieutenant
Governor Iona Campagnola."

http://announcements.usask.ca/news/archive/2006/01/

1 - 20 of 66 Posts