·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Cowards.

Man arrested, 2 others sought after racist attack caught on video

By Judith Lavoie, Canwest News Service
July 6, 2009 10:13 PM

VICTORIA — Police on Vancouver Island have made one arrest after an apparently racist attack was caught on video and posted to YouTube.

Jay Phillips, 38, a landscaper in Courtenay, B.C., about 220 kilometres northwest of Victoria, held back three young men who are shown on a YouTube video throwing punches and yelling racial slurs.

As the attackers surround Phillips, who is black, he can be seen knocking at least one of the men to the ground.

“They kept yelling they were going to lynch me and kill me and my whole family and this is a white town and get the f--- out of here,” said Phillips, who spends much of his spare time at the gym.

“Once they figured out they had met someone who was not afraid they didn’t know what to do. They were like little hyenas trying to dart in and out to engage the lion, but they wouldn’t engage me one on one.”

One arrest has been made following the Friday night fracas in a parking lot near a Courtenay restaurant. Other arrests are expected, said Const. Tammy Douglas of the Comox Valley RCMP.

The video was taken by an onlooker and is being scrutinized by the RCMP as they investigate the assault and whether it was a hate crime.

“Police are currently reviewing video evidence and conducting witness inquiries to determine the cause of the incident. Preliminary investigation indicates that there may have been a racial element involved in the incident,” Douglas said in a news release.

The video shows three white men, two of them shirtless, dancing around Phillips kicking and hitting out.

When he falls to the ground, the three leap on him, punching and yelling.

“I was so happy about the video. No one even got the licence plate,” said Phillips, who has two stitches in his head and sore ribs.

There has been an outpouring of horrified reaction on YouTube.

Phillips, who grew up in Maple Ridge, B.C., and has lived in Courtenay for six years, is heartened by the support.

The incident is spurring Phillips to start speaking out about racism, trying to ensure no one else has a similar experience and that his son, now nine months old, will never face such ugly threats.

“There are so many up-and-coming young kids of colour in this town, and I don’t want them to have to go through this. I don’t want them to have to go down the street looking over their shoulder,” said Phillips.

“This has galvanized me big time,” he said.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Absolutely appalling that this still happens....my heart just dropped when they ganged up on him and beated him while he was on the ground.

·
In mourning
97,470 Posts
Wow, what can I say.. Its just terrible! I don't think I'll ever go to this town for the rest of my life. I hope they will arrest those three cowards and sent them to Africa and get punished.

·
Registered Abuser
532 Posts
OMG!! I'm so freaking mad right now! It's unbelievable that to this day things like these happen. I wish they'd grab those punks and send them to Compton. Let's see if they have the balls to say things like those outloud.

I've been the victim of hate crime and racial slurs before, and it's definitely not something I'd wish upon anyone.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Courtenay is the new ******* capital of Canada! Riding away in the back of a pick-up truck sealed the deal.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Disgusting. :eek:hno: I'm just glad those guys are as cowardly as they are ignorant and that Jay was able to hold his own for long enough to get out of that situation without any life-threatening injuries.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
This is ridiculous, this crap shouldn't still be happening here. Those 3 morons were pushing each other into the guy because they were too scared to take him on. Idiotic pricks, get the f*ck out of the country! :eek:hno:

·
Proud warmonger
3,142 Posts
Considering that some people are scums of the earth
Canada needs to follow Singapore example and cane them
It's a very successful punishment and the crime rate in Singapore
is close to 0

·
City Reformist
5,263 Posts
It's a shame this is happening in Canada!!

But I last time I accidentally saw a white woman angrily shouting racial slur to chinese people in Vancouver before she drove away fast inside her car. There should be a way to report hate attack whether it is physical or verbal here in Canada. They should not get away after that!! I believe there are more accidents but not reported or exposed to the media. These racist people should be harshly punished.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
This absolutely makes my heart sink. This isn't a movie, the underdog doesn't win. This is real life. I can't even imagine getting ganged up like that...for what? Though I'd probably just run away, the Black dude didn't seem like he had to stick around and fight.
I wish they'd grab those punks and send them to Compton. Let's see if they have the balls to say things like those outloud.
God, I wish. That should be their punishment/sentence. 3 vs 1 and that idiot who pushed his "friend" is still too chicken to fight.

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
In my opinion, the Black guy whooped hard ass.
Those puny white dudes were just like the Hyenas he said they were.
The black guy got knocked down and beat on sure, but he got right back up and went after the guy AGAIN.

·
I need coffee.
1,442 Posts
Makes me sick to the stomach. A part of me wishes I could have been there to help him out. But I'm a lover, not a fighter.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
relax, relax! Canada is great and ALMOST perfect, but lets face the truth out of 31 million people, we are going to have a couple of morons.

·
Registered
360 Posts
^^ That is exactly why Canadians need to be very outspoken against racist attacks like this. So, it won't happen again.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
That was horrible. I wish we could have seen what started the altercation. It definitely looked like a 3 on 1 beat down, and the racial slurs at the end are complete bullshit, what cowards. But man did the solo dude ever hold his ground.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts