SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Nothing special, but it looks decent"

Yea..I think we are becoming amune to that Clewes look pretty quickly. Tower design wise, they are still pretty good though.

Where the project stands out, is in it's complete design....the incorporation of the two historical buildings...the new National Ballet buildings (the details are really nice, and not really visable in my pics...it's dawn when I took them)...the townhouses...the new walkway through the block...and the way it revitalizes Jarvis.

KGB

·
Banned
609 Posts
They're not ugly, but they look just like any other cheaply made condo. Would fit in better around Yonge/Sheppard. What is this material they keep making these buildings out of? It looks like Stucco mixed with Dry Wall, I assume it's some sort of pre cast concrete. Whatever it is this building made me crawl back for more sleep.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
They're not ugly, but they look just like any other cheaply made condo. Would fit in better around Yonge/Sheppard. What is this material they keep making these buildings out of? It looks like Stucco mixed with Dry Wall, I assume it's some sort of pre cast concrete. Whatever it is this building made me crawl back for more sleep.
I'm guessing it's Durock... it's essentially styrofoam panels with a hard, stippled surface. It's extremely light, cheap, and easy to install.

You can do details with it too... if you see exterior moldings, facia, and things like faux keystones.... it's this shit. I think you can carve it. Basically styrofoam.

·
Look Up!
759 Posts
I’ve seen them in person, there remarkably good. The siding is definitely cheap, but they fit in the area quite well, don’t stand out at all. The way they incorporated the other historical buildings is nice.

Unfortunately, I think if they get dirty at all – the white/creamy siding, it’ll literally look like shit

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"They're not ugly, but they look just like any other cheaply made condo. "

Really? Cause I see definate superior architectural talent at work here....the scale obviously...the horizontal and vertical treatments are very good...the glass and concrete elements work together well...I like the corners...the different planes on the facade give texture without being busy...meets the street well...in fact, it's whole "complex" effect works well.

I don't think there is anything "cheap" about it....and I doubt it's made with sprayed styrofoam or drywall exteriors.

KGB

·
Registered
318 Posts
How are the townhouses?

·
Banned
609 Posts
KGB

I don't know much about building materials... But if you compare 1 king west to scotia plaza there is a noticeable difference. It just seems that ever since the completion on BCE Place, buildings in the city are resembling suburban condos more and more... I just assumed this was cheaper materials. Isn't FCP or Scotia Plaza made out of limstone, or atleast some expensive material?

Compare the intricacy of Roman Architechture (dont give me shit) and that of Radio city. Or even a skyscraper like the Chrysler building in NYC... Did they just have much more money back then to spend on details and individual materials then they do now, or is it just that the builders today are greedy bastards skimming every material down to the cheapest it can go?

IMO Radio city looks like it should be at yonge/steels, not downtown.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"But if you compare 1 king west to scotia plaza there is a noticeable difference."

Well of course...one is a commercial building and one is a residential building...it's the realities of economy that matter here...office/institutional buildings are simply far bigger generators of income over a much longer period of time...the budgets of office towers allow for stone facades...granite in the case of Scotia Plaza and Italian marble in the case of FCP.

Even office developers can no longer handle hand-carved stone facades of earlier development.

The only way you can increase the expense of facades on condo buildings, is to move to stone...and they can do that, but they never do (anywhere), because you have to transfer those costs to the units...and people want something more tangible for their condo-purchasing dollars...if all conso buildings were to be covered in hand-carved marble, they wouldn't be selling to many of them.

I can think of a few exceptions (modern ones)...33 University is clad in granite where there wasn't any glass...but they were also expensive...and the developer lost a bundle in the real estate crash.

KGB

·
Registered
442 Posts
regan said:
KGB

I don't know much about building materials... But if you compare 1 king west to scotia plaza there is a noticeable difference. It just seems that ever since the completion on BCE Place, buildings in the city are resembling suburban condos more and more... I just assumed this was cheaper materials. Isn't FCP or Scotia Plaza made out of limstone, or atleast some expensive material?

Compare the intricacy of Roman Architechture (dont give me shit) and that of Radio city. Or even a skyscraper like the Chrysler building in NYC... Did they just have much more money back then to spend on details and individual materials then they do now, or is it just that the builders today are greedy bastards skimming every material down to the cheapest it can go?

IMO Radio city looks like it should be at yonge/steels, not downtown.
Pretty soon, they'll be building condos out of mud and straw to increase their profit margins.

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
"I'm guessing it's Durock... it's essentially styrofoam panels with a hard, stippled surface. It's extremely light, cheap, and easy to install."

It's pre-cast concrete

"They're not ugly, but they look just like any other cheaply made condo. Would fit in better around Yonge/Sheppard.

I see a major difference between these and Residence of Avondale in NYCC (having a similar building envelope )

·
Banned
609 Posts
I just hope our downtown doesn't turn into an mediocre bunch of towers with no defining qualities on account of people wanting inexpensive condos. Would it really be that much more if they built it out of say red brick or some type of stone and devided the costs among residents?

NYC is full of such great buildings.. even the shittier ones are still more intricate than most modern buildings.

Whatever...

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, if your taste dictates that Clewes towers are mediocre with no defining qualities, then it's your taste that would worry me...not the future architecture or prices of condos of the city.

When this project is completed, go and walk around it, and then tell me it takes away from the city...not enhances.

KGB

1 - 20 of 46 Posts