Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's something that's been bugging me for a while and I know it's a subject that comes up regularly, but it really is time the BBC changed the name of the station.

BBC radio stations in London, Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Bristol are all city branded but we are using a brand that is completely outdated.

I understand there will be concern amongst BBC management about the possibility of losing listeners, but BBC GMR was rebranded to BBC Manchester in 2006 without (from what I can gather) any adverse effect on audience figures.

People might argue that it's not that important, changing the name isn't going to create jobs, attract visitors or investment, and to some extent I agree. But it is symbolic. It sends out a message that Liverpool is a brand/city that is internationally recognised and important institutions (BBC, universities etc) are proud to be part of the city, while representing the wider conurbation.

The current branding puts us into the same category as BBC Humberside or Shropshire.

If anyone has got any thoughts/ideas about this and how/if we could build a bit of momentum behid the idea, it would be great to hear them.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
This is a non-starter!
The BBC is an anti L'pool organisation.It always has been and always will be. The purpose of the BBC in the L'pool area is to down play the importance of L'pool. It uses L'pool's neighbour M'chester to reinforce this ideology.
The move by parts of the BBC to Salford is an ideological one. L'pool may have been European Capital of Culture and has a massive tourism potential but the BBC consider Salford as the north's cultural power house!
Will BBC Radio M'chester still be called this when it moves to Salford. Ofcourse!
The current boss of Radio Merseyside, Mick Ord, is totally against a name change to L'pool. It's a complete non-starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might be right and it might be a non starter, but that's not a reason to discuss the idea. How do you know Mick Ord is totally against a name change?

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
BBC Radio Manchester lost tons of listeners as a result of it's rebrand. The staff still get loads of hassle from people when they go out to do interviews in places like Oldham and Stockport. They keep getting asked why they are interested in them when they are not part of Manchester.

Radio Merseyside is the best performing local radio station they have. By miles. They got extra funding for those TV adverts as a reward for their performance.

As to the ideological thing. Well, if Peel had developed Liverpool Waters before Media City, then we'd probably have got it. As it is, Salford positioned itself more quickly and effectively than we did by allowing a developer carte blache to build the project. Couple this with the fact that BBC were looking to move north, whilst Peel were biting their hand off to move, we effectively missed the boat. As did Leeds, who could lay claim to be better placed than both cities to be the BBC north HQ.

I agree that BBC provide too much coverage to Manchester though. I was in BBC Manc on Sunday saying that very thing. A lot of that is because they are surrounded by the place. If a journo gets told to do a voxpop, out they go and stand on Oxford Road. Lazy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting post that mate. How do you know Manchester lost loads of listeners? Are these figures published?

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
Interesting post that mate. How do you know Manchester lost loads of listeners? Are these figures published?
The figures are published by RAJAR:
http://www.rajar.co.uk/

Mick Ord keeps going on about how the audience identifies with 'Merseyside'. This has always seemed disingenuous to me - especially when you look at the map that shows where the station broadcasts its signal.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The reason/excuse always given on the RG phone-in when the subject is broached is due to the audience being as far and wide as Ormskirk/Skem/Chester/Wirral etc (in fact it reaches as far South as Stoke) However, many of these are outside Merseyside, never mind Liverpool so since it's based in Liverpool and that is a brand name, I think it may as well be Liverpool as I don't see how that would suddenly disenfranchise people who would suddenly stop listening to it elsewhere (including places that are not even in Merseyside anyway)

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
The reason/excuse always given on the RG phone-in when the subject is broached is due to the audience being as far and wide as Ormskirk/Skem/Chester/Wirral etc (in fact it reaches as far South as Stoke) However, many of these are outside Merseyside, never mind Liverpool so since it's based in Liverpool and that is a brand name, I think it may as well be Liverpool as I don't see how that would suddenly disenfranchise people who would suddenly stop listening to it elsewhere (including places that are not even in Merseyside anyway)
Surely the same arguments would apply to Greater Manchester however but of course they are not applied. Actually Radio Manchester's puny listenership figures cf. Merseyside's actually betray the real size of the cultural entities with the theirs in the centres of each city. Not something they are keen to point out of course. Basically, Ormskirk for example is more part of Liverpool than Bolton is Manchester.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Surely the same arguments would apply to Greater Manchester however but of course they are not applied. Actually Radio Manchester's puny listenership figures cf. Merseyside's actually betray the real size of the cultural entities with the theirs in the centres of each city. Not something they are keen to point out of course. Basically, Ormskirk for example is more part of Liverpool than Bolton is Manchester.

Figures are proof that Merseyside has so much to offer.... something that should have led to greater funding etc. That's another story though.

I am fine with the name tbh. It fits and is snappy.

More importantly, I would like to know is why my car retunes to GMR from Merseyside when I get to Warrington? :-(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts