SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/06/13/tescos-vision-for-city-store/

Tesco today struck its latest blow in the battle with Sainsbry’s to build a store in the centre of Wolverhampton.

With striking floor-to-ceiling windows and contemporary spiked roof, the giant unveiled its vision for the Raglan Street site. The artist’s impression has been released just weeks after major rival Sainsbury’s released its own drawing of a huge superstore it also hopes to create on the sprawling derelict site, on prime land alongside the city’s ring road where the Lord Raglan pub used to stand.

The supermarket giant has been battling with Sainsbury’s over the sprawling derelict site for almost a decade. Sainsbury’s owns more than 70 per cent of the land but planning chiefs in the city have named Tesco as their preferred developer for the project, which could also include building homes and shops.

Tesco proposal

Sainsbury's proposal

Old site

Site demolition

New site

Changes

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
If those wind turbines in the Sainsbury's proposal were included in the Tesco proposal, I'd prefer the Tesco one! It seems Tesco are starting to design better stores now!

·
Simples
6,771 Posts
If those wind turbines in the Sainsbury's proposal were included in the Tesco proposal, I'd prefer the Tesco one! It seems Tesco are starting to design better stores now!
The wind turbines shown in that image are tiny and would offer little in terms of the power generation required for a large store. I wouldn't let that be the sway in your preference.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I know they're tiny but at least they're a start! Having large ones would draw greater criticism from the public over the aesthetics side of things! I just wish everyone can just accept wind turbines and wind farms, really! :(

·
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/12/03/tesco-offers-millions-for-rivals-plot/

Tesco offers millions for rival’s plot

Tesco is believed to have put in a multi-million pound offer to buy a prime Wolverhampton City Centre plot of land from rivals Sainsbury’s, in a bid to end one of the longest-running planning wrangles in the city’s history.

The store giants are preparing to go head-to-head in a High Court showdown in the fight to transform acres of land in Raglan Street, off Ring Road St Mark’s, with a superstore and housing development.

Planning bosses named Tesco as their preferred developer of the site, despite its rival owning an 86 per cent share of the land, leading to Sainsbury’s lodging a High Court appeal.

The council is currently hoping to force Sainsbury’s to hand over its lion’s share of land with a compulsory purchase order.

But bosses insist they are still determined to transform the land after a decade of paying out cash to maintain it.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
Oh wow, this is going up fast. I'm sure I was only in that area a few weeks ago and it was still a derelict bit of land with no signs of construction!

·
...Ready for departure.
12,441 Posts
I spy more jobs.

·
culled
20,362 Posts
The big question remains: with the youth zone now getting it's own building, what will happen to Sainsbury 's and the church? There were rumours of a shopping mall, but I don't know how to feel about that (think inshops).

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Well Wolverhampton is in desperate need of more retail space. Those rumours must be a piss take.
My vote is for go-kart track.

A more recent artist's impression.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts