Krulevšizna 23:18 2 min 23:20 184 Baltkrievija
Polocka 00:35 20 min 00:55 276 Baltkrievija
Verhņedvinska 01:44 2 min 01:46 341 Baltkrievija
Bigosova 02:00 40 min 02:40 354 Baltkrievija
Indra 02:56 45 min 03:41 368 Latvija
Daugavpils 04:30 27 min 04:57 437 Latvija
Krustpils 06:06 2 min 06:08 526 Latvija
Rīga Pasažieru 08:00 655 Latvija

Two passport controls in the middle of night is the worst part of trip, otherwise, quite good connection.

The Riga - Minsk schedule:

Rīga Pasažieru 19:00 0 Latvija
Krustpils 20:35 3 min 20:38 129 Latvija
Daugavpils 21:47 30 min 22:17 218 Latvija
Indra 23:10 45 min 23:55 287 Latvija
Bigosova 00:11 40 min 00:51 301 Baltkrievija
Verhņedvinska 01:07 2 min 01:09 314 Baltkrievija
Polocka 02:18 28 min 02:46 379 Baltkrievija
Krulevšizna 04:13 4 min 04:17 471 Baltkrievija
Molodečna 05:45 28 min 06:13 578 Baltkrievija
Minska Pasažieru 07:31 655 Baltkrievija

The opposite trip is a bit better but still there is no point to fell asleep before
00:51(after passport control at Bigosova).

·
Registered
274 Posts
Today, couple representatives of PV were in LR1 "Krustpunktā". According to them, we may have express trains to Jelgava (which cover the route within ~35 minutes) and Sigulda (~30 min) this autumn. Hope it's true and they'll add Tukums as well.

·
9,077 Posts
The train-of-ideas is arriving to Riga and Tallinn very soon.
http://www.train-of-ideas.net/
Wait..it is a REAL train? Cool,I'll get my photography gear.
I googled around and it seems to have Siemens electric locomotive (presumably 1435mm gauge) How are they going to get it here? Or are they using local locomotives?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts

·
9,077 Posts
It's promising that feasibility study found the line profitable,but when will it be built? EU is too busy saving ...khm..few Southern European countries and getting 2,5 billion euros seems very unlikely. Maybe this project could be split into several construction stages?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I wonder is the rumors true that the trams that are bought to Tallin will have similar system as Metros in Greece, Athens?

Similar system is also used in Paris and Stocholm where RER and Pendeltågs traver with different kind of changing electricity power supply.

Would be great if Tallin, Riga, Daugavpils etc. trams could travel everywhere in Baltics.

..Of course such system would need standardised rail gauge.

Anyway Such rumor is being spred from Tallin trams. Are they true?

·
LM
148 Posts
Well, I'm not active on posting, i prefer reading more, but as I saw about stopping in every village from Valka-Riga, I'd like to say my opinion. Well as I live in sigulda I have no idea about Sigulda-Valka, because I use that maybe once a year, but in Sigulda-Riga there are at least 5 stations that needs to be cut out of route, or at least decreased count of trains stopping. Each stop takes some 2 minutes (Slowing down, stopping, gaining speed again) and 5x2 would be 10 minutes saved. To get to riga with train it takes like hour and 10 minutes, but with xpress bus it takes 45 minutes. Hour would still be much ofc, but if the trains would be faster then busses would really have great competitors. Well I think useless stations are: ( I will put number I've noticed on my trips to riga. Passenger count will be how many passengers there usually get in/out in 1 train trip, for me its mostly the train before 16. (15.41/15.52) Ok so:

Silciems-usually no passengers here.
Eglupe-about 3 passengers per train.
Krievupe-about 4 passengers per train.
Baltezers-same as Silciems.

Ok only 4 stations, but saved time is still great. Improove speeds and this will be amazing.
Ahh, and as i said, but maybe someone didn't notice - this is NOT official data. It's my own count. Oh, and i know that Silciems and Baltezers are already cut on few trains, but maybe they need to switch them? Like train stops there only in morning and evening, not all the time except few trips..

·
9,077 Posts
I wonder is the rumors true that the trams that are bought to Tallin will have similar system as Metros in Greece, Athens?

Similar system is also used in Paris and Stocholm where RER and Pendeltågs traver with different kind of changing electricity power supply.

Would be great if Tallin, Riga, Daugavpils etc. trams could travel everywhere in Baltics.

..Of course such system would need standardised rail gauge.

Anyway Such rumor is being spred from Tallin trams. Are they true?
Where did you heard that? Afaik,there might even be procurement for new trams (depending on CO2 quotas sale conditions),so there hasn't been anything solid confirmed yet.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Passenger count will be how many passengers there usually get in/out in 1 train trip, for me its mostly the train before 16. (15.41/15.52) Ok so:

Silciems-usually no passengers here.
Eglupe-about 3 passengers per train.
Krievupe-about 4 passengers per train.
Baltezers-same as Silciems.

Ok only 4 stations, but saved time is still great. Improove speeds and this will be amazing.
Agree totally. Silciems and Baltezers are only for mushroom-picking, Krievupe the same - don't know what were your 4 pax doing there :D Vangaži and Egļupe are near gardens so the traffic is highly seasonal and - as modern gardeners use cars - less important than earlier. So my proposal: close Baltezers, Krievupe, Vangaži, Egļupe, Silciems; build a cycle path from Inčukalns to Egļupe. Vangaži station village can be reached from Vangaži, no need for stop there. Altogether this would give about 10-15 min savings and cut travel times to 60 minutes. The fastest buses I found were 70min, don't know were you got 45 minute ones. In addition it would be great to build new Alfa station and close Jugla and Čiekurkalns. And wi-fi on board and in stations. And P&R facilities in suburban stations. And combined suburban+urban tickets in cooperation with RS. There are many possibilities to attract passengers, but seems that PV live in year 1911.

·
LM
148 Posts
Agree totally. Silciems and Baltezers are only for mushroom-picking, Krievupe the same - don't know what were your 4 pax doing there :D Vangaži and Egļupe are near gardens so the traffic is highly seasonal and - as modern gardeners use cars - less important than earlier. So my proposal: close Baltezers, Krievupe, Vangaži, Egļupe, Silciems; build a cycle path from Inčukalns to Egļupe. Vangaži station village can be reached from Vangaži, no need for stop there. Altogether this would give about 10-15 min savings and cut travel times to 60 minutes. The fastest buses I found were 70min, don't know were you got 45 minute ones. In addition it would be great to build new Alfa station and close Jugla and Čiekurkalns. And wi-fi on board and in stations. And P&R facilities in suburban stations. And combined suburban+urban tickets in cooperation with RS. There are many possibilities to attract passengers, but seems that PV live in year 1911.
4 passengers at Krievupe I've seen few times. Well that's only because if i take train, then one at 15.41 , because of school etc.
Umm 45 min bus is cancelled now i think. I took it once, and that's all. I think it was 55 mins, my mistake. It was express stopping in few stops only. Like Teika, Garkalne, Sigulda. I don't remember.
About Jugla and Čiekurkalns - well that's a good idea. And trams could take passengers from alfa to there. Brilliant.
Isn't urban tickets already avabaile? Like you can drive for standart 50 santims to Jugla from Riga Central?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well, 'sroom-pickers can fill whole train in the right season. Krievupe mostly serves for railway workers and even if it would be closed as a passenger station, some trains would be forced to take a stop anyway because of lack of second track on Krievupe - Vangaži stretch. I don't see any alternatives for rail transport in Egļupe. And closing Jugla would be insane.

I'm not saying that every train must stop in small stations, but suburbans have to.

·
LM
148 Posts
Jānis;79492782 said:
Well, 'sroom-pickers can fill whole train in the right season. Krievupe mostly serves for railway workers and even if it would be closed as a passenger station, some trains would be forced to take a stop anyway because of lack of second track on Krievupe - Vangaži stretch. I don't see any alternatives for rail transport in Egļupe. And closing Jugla would be insane.

I'm not saying that every train must stop in small stations, but suburbans have to.
nonono. You didn't got it right. I totally agree, that in right seasons those shroom stations should be avabaile at least on 3-4 trains per day. But we are talking overall. They are useless. Silciems doesn't deserve to be called 'ciems'. I studied map today, there are nothing. In 2 kilometers there are only forest. And what's the need to stop in mid-forest at winter?
2nd - Ok, at krievupe there isn't 2nd rail. But they should build it anyways. Ok this isn't the main question now.
Jugla. That wouldn't be insane. As bebrs said, new station next to alfa. Alfa is like 1.5 kilometers from both Ciekurkalns and Jugla. Trams are like 500 meters from each station, and they are going quite often. So that's not big trouble. And I think there are several buses going there too. So that would just save time, by 1 less station. I think that would be really good.

·
planquadrat
10,368 Posts
If noone minds I will refresh this thread with some photos of Lithuanian Railways :)

All photos are taken by me on the 17th of June 2011

Vilnius Railway Station. Škoda EJ575 double-decker train. These are the best trains currently operating in the Baltic countries (sorry, some of my dear Latvian brothers... I know this will infuriate some of you ;))

The speed stays at 120km/h... it does feel quite slow. 140 or 160km/h would be more like it. Hopefully it will happen some time in the future.

Upper deck of EJ575. This was meant to be 1st class seating area with 1+2 seating configuration, however for some reason (perhaps lack of general demand and ultimately due to the mismanagement and lack of marketing of Lithuanian Railway company) they were all left as 2nd class seats and you can take any of them with an ordinary ticket. Lower floor has proper 2nd class 2+2 seating which is also nice albeit not nearly as good as this. The seats are very wide and can be reclined. Also gaps between seats are quite massive. Even for a tall person like me (I am 190cm high) there's more than plenty of space to sit as wide and comfortable as it can get. Too bad you cannot buy drinks or snacks on-board (another fail by the Lithuanian Railways). It would be a pleasure to enjoy some coffee and a sandwich while enjoying the view from the upper deck

Seats are marked although there is no restriction when choosing a seat

·
planquadrat
10,368 Posts
Kaunas Railway Station

Refurbished ER9M train waiting to depart to Vilnius

EJ575 also waiting for departure. Lithuanian Railways currently operate 4 such trains. A tender to buy 5 more has been closed but only one application was submitted. It's not known what company it was but I would guess it's the same Škoda. 9 such trains will be enough to fully serve Vilnius-Kaunas route which means the old ER9M will be retired

Driver inside the PESA railbus

·
9,077 Posts
Why should we be infuriated? :dunno: We have old trains right now,but we'll get new trains in next year and within few years time all of our passenger trains will be replaced with brand Stadler trains.

Tbh,I think that Lithuanian rolling stock upgrading has been somewhat erratic - some old trains have been refurbished & some locomotives have been rebuilt,few Russian made RA-2 trains have been bought along with Pesa railbus (-es?) and Skoda CityElefant's. It's almost like Lietuvos Gelezinkeliai hasn't got any clear vision for future and upgrades things randomly. Imho,only new Siemens Eurorunner freight locomotives purchase has been well thought through and excellent choice (the best rolling stock upgrade in Baltics so far :eek:kay: )

@Pansori - Great pics! I've got a question too - why the hell are station platforms on those photos been rebuilt so low? Wouldn't it make sense to rebuild them to either 550mm or 760mm standards,considering that sooner or later Lithuania will replace rest of it's Soviet era trains and that it's already operating new Western made trains?

1961 - 1980 of 4347 Posts