Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a project that has been included in a number of forum threads due to its boundary breaking nature: Develop a rail backbone and infrastructure connecting Oslo-Gothenburg-Malmö/Copenhagen (in itself a boundary crossing project), plus the connection with other cities, primarily Stockholm.

It will also have relevance for other cities in the region, Bergen and Trondheim, Uppsala and Linköping, Aarhus and Odense, and not the least Hamburg and Berlin.

As a trans-national rail project it has been covered in at least these threads:

SWEDEN | Railway Development
NORWAY | High Speed Rail
INFRASTRUKTUR | Norske jernbaner | Railways
The Loop — Metropolitan Area | News & Projects (the Öresund project)
Nordic & Baltic Infrastructure - Links & Megathread
and probably more.

There is one EU-financed project, The Scandinavian 8 million city, from which this thread has taken its name. The EU project may be winding down, and it isn't clear what, if anything, will follow. The final report is found in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish.

·
Registered
25,570 Posts
HSR in Sweden

A repost from another thread:

Planning stage for a HSR line (with a speed of 320 km/h) Ostlänken in Sweden begins. The Swedish Transport Administration (Trafikverket) chose "ÅF" and "Tyréns" as consultants in planning the technical sollutions. The construction work is scheduled to start in 2017. According to the plan, the line will be adjoined with Europabanan, too. :cheers:

Trafikverket

More information: Trafikverket, ÅF vinner konsultuppdrag i Ostlänken, Linköping och Trafikverket överens om del av Ostlänken

·
Registered
25,570 Posts
HSR in Sweden

^^

Last year the Swedish and Japanese ministries signed an agreement in order to cooperate in development of a HSR network in Sweden.
The representatives of a Japanese company Hitachi visited Sweden in the begging of this month (June 4th). The planning stage has begun and we will know which trains are considered later. The possibilities to develop a regional Maglev network is under consideration, as well.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
We read about these approvals in Sweden that has sthlm in one end of the line. But what about the Oslo-Gothenburg-Copenhagen corridor? The important part?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^

Green light for a corridor of Ostlänken bypassing the second largest airport of Stockholm Skavsta. The government should approve this decission by the end of this year.

Klartecken för Ostlänken via Skavsta
The Gothenburg airport, Landvetter, is also supposed to be a stop on the Götalandsbanan Stockholm-Gothenburg HSR. The Oslo and Stockholm airports, Gardermoen and Arlanda are HSR connected as well on the other side of their respective capitals, as is Kastrup for Copenhagen. While there are no current plans for it, Rygge airport (the Skavsta of Oslo) could be on the link as well (as could Torp, assuming a planned train tunnel under the Oslo Fjord).

In other words almost all the major airports in Norway, Sweden, and Denmark will be directly or indirectly connected. Lines like Arlanda-Skavsta-Landvetter og Gardermoen-Rygge-Landvetter, or Skavsta-Landvetter-Kastrup would be possible.

·
Registered
25,570 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alliansen svänger och vill ha höghastighetståg
[Swedish government alliance turn around and wants high-speed rail]

Though, cynically speaking, this is another case of a government, after years in power, opting for a grand visionary project just as they are about to lose an election.

The leader in Borås "Times" (Borås Tidning) has another tack, Bilden som skrämmer huvudstaden

[The picture that frightens the capital, viz:]

In other words, maybe the "Stockholm Y", Stockholm-Gothenburg and Stockholm-Malmö-Europe, should be scrapped for Stockholm-Gothenburg and Oslo-Gothenburg-Malmö-Europe.

Again cynically speaking, that is easy to say if you are in Borås, benefiting from Stockholm-Gothenburg and wanting to benefit from Oslo-Gothenburg-Malmö as well.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Yes please, let's save the billions on a Skåne-Småland link and build MLM-GBG instead.
This line will be packed 24/7 for sure, remember that it would be as much a KBH-GBG link.
Liseberg and Kastrup will be booming!

·
Registered
25,570 Posts
Sverigebygge is the new development plan for Sweden. According to this plan, 400 billion to be spent on the realisation of vital infrastruture (inc. HSR) and housing projects in the nearest future.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not Oslo-Gothenburg-Copenhagen, but Stockholm-Oslo.

SJ planerar snabbtåg till Oslo

SJ har planer på att börja köra snabbtåg mellan Stockholm och Oslo, från och med augusti 2015.

Det framgår av ett förslag som SJ lämnat till Trafikverket, enligt SVT Värmlandsnytt. Med snabbtåg skulle det ta cirka 4,5 timmar att åka tåg mellan städerna jämfört med de omkring sex timmar det tar i dag.

Förutsättningen är att några stationer offras längs med vägen. Bland annat kan invånarna i Kristinehamn och Arvika få sämre pendlingsmöjligheter.

·
Registered
25,570 Posts
^^

It's like a joke. The line Stockholm-Oslo could be suitable for a HSR, not some regular train that skips a few stops on the tracks that need some serious upgrade.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not very optimistic though, as I said in another thread:

The line connecting the two capitals is probably around priority 4-6 both in Sweden and Norway, so there isn't much hope for improvements except this. The existing couple trains are among the oldest SJ got (they are fine, a reminder of times bygone), so a little modernisation might help.

The track isn't as miserable as Oslo-Gothenburg, but still not in a good shape. The train Stockholm-Karlstad takes about 2:40 (and still stops in Kristinehamn), and geographically Karlstad is almost there on the way to Oslo, but the border and Norwegian region is slow. Part of the reason is the detour, Arvika is far enough out of the way, but then the train goes to Kongsvinger before turning south and actually move in the direction of Oslo. Furthermore this line is of relatively low regional and commute priority.

If the line instead had gone Årjäng-Askim-Ski it would connect to the most modern part of the Norwegian rail network, kind of the Norwegian "Citybanan". Oslo-Gothenburg would go along this line. This would shave off dramatically the time used Karlstad-Oslo (if going all-out HSR Karlstad would be in daily commute distance to Oslo, not quite Malmö-Copenhagen, but still).

Now, this is not going to happen, but until then travellers would rather opt for Norwegian or SAS. That said, old and slow as it is, the train Oslo-Stockholm is kind of comfortable. I do miss WiFi, and most travellers probably wouldn't have 4G for both Norway and Sweden.
If the national governments can't get Oslo-Gothenburg-Copenhagen to work, I don't see much hope for this. O-G-C has a string of medium-sized cities on the route in addition to the three large ones. This route has Värmland and the less populated parts of Østfold.

I also find it interesting that the Swedish route goes Karlstad-Katrineholm-Stockholm, avoiding Mälardalen (particularly Örebro and Västerås), further reducing the number of people benefiting from this route.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And back on track to Oslo-Gothenburg-Copenhagen, the Norwegian rail proponents have realised that the Swedish section from the Norwegian border to Malmö is missing in action among the government rail election promises. Then again, on the Norwegian side neither Arbeiderpartiet (Social Democrats) nor Høyre (Moderaterna) are truly on board, and support from one, preferably both, of the parties would be needed.

Venstre frykter Norge blir parkert av svenske lyntog

Langeland erkjenner at den norske lyntogsatsingen sporet av under den rødgrønne regjeringen.

– Arbeiderpartiet og Senterpartiet ville ikke være med på en offensiv satsing i Nasjonal transportplan. Det er bare å erkjenne at den sentrale politiske eliten i Norge ikke er på det svenske sporet. Vi får håpe at den borgerlige regjeringen lar seg inspirere av det partifellene i Sverige gjør nå, sier Langeland til NTB.

Ola Elvestuen mener utbyggingen av Østfoldbanen må sees på som en første tappe i ledd mot ny høyhastighetsbane fra Oslo til Göteborg, København og kontinentet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
to :jax:

You said that "The train Stockholm-Karlstad takes about 2:40 (and still stops in Kristinehamn)"

In fact the fastest train from Stockholm to Karlstad takes 2:18 with stops in Hallsberg, Degerfors and Kristinehamn.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts