Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody catch this on the news today - around lunchtime?

I saw it - bizarrely enough - whilst in Manchester Piccadilly Station Reception as I was waiting to grill a Network Rail member of staff about a number of issues. The news flash showed a completely flooded railway station near Sutton Coldfield [or could it have been one on the Walsall line at Perry Barr, Hamstead or wherever?] - where the flash flooding took place. Rail disruption was so severe across several parts of the Midlands due to the heavy relentless rain that - surprise surprise - announcements soon started coming thick and fast about cancelled and delayed trains / arrivals at Piccadilly due to the obvious knock-on effect that this was having on all trains passing through the West Midlands.

It's happening more and more often now isn't it? The fact that stations are turning into canals after a few inches of non stop rain has been falling.

Anybody have any pics they have to put up of these?

·
Did you get your picture?
1,367 Posts
Heavy rain scuppered the roads around the Midlands including roads that in any other time would be unafected. It wasn't just a few inches of rain, this was a real thumper that genuinely deserved the flash flood / end of days monica I was in Devon last night when my Girlfriend called to tell me that she couldn't get back to our home in L/Spa due to floods. I laughed as this is a flood area that in all normal floods is a doddle to return to.

But this time all the A roads in and out of the Town were flooded above car-bonnet-height and traffic really could not get in and out of town.

I am still trying to picture that! For Warwickshire!

Their are reports of flash floods on the Coventry TollBar island that were impassable and left cars stranded and the M40 at Warwick had ALL 6 LANES FLOODED! Under water, deep six'd.

In fact the M40 at Warwick was closed due to the fact that it was underwater! I've never seen that in, my life time.

Eek!

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts

Think that's Tame Bridge parkway on the Walsall line, not 100% sure.

We must've just missed that. There was a lot of water on the road when we came back, pretty near zero visibility because of the huge rooster tails coming up off the traffic.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Edgbaston was the wettest place in Britain yesterday apparently. Did anyone watch the ITV news last night? It showed the video of the number 41 in Quinton - they were driving through a massive amount of water and passengers were told to keep their feet up :lol:.

Apparently there was severe problems at Gravelly Hill station, which looks a little like the picture up there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Totally screwed me yesterday getting to and from work, however the nice bus people did let you use your train tickets to ride on them - never knew we had such cooperation at work in the city!

·
Registered
24 Posts
103 mm of rain in Edgbaston in the 24hrs to 8am on Friday, it must be a record for the city! That's nearly two months of summer rainfall.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
:eek2: I was in Newbury yesterday and got nothing at all in the way of rain. Having travelled the M40 dozens of times and frequently stopped at Warwick services that is mindblowing. Never seen anything like it.

·
time for a change
795 Posts
driving on the M5 in west brom about half 3 on friday....oh my god every1 was driving about 15 mph..u literally couldnt see the lorry in front of u u just had to assume the road was straight!!!

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
About 300 homes in the Witton area were damaged by flooding :eek:hno:.

·
15,713 Posts
i was due to catch the 10:03 train from newc street to newcastle on friday (the morning after thenigh before as it were) and every train had a blanket cancellation imposed...

not only did i manage to get the first train out of birmingham north... the delays 11:03 which didnt leave till 11:25, but it took 1 hour to get to lichfield city, and the entire journey which usually tkes 3.5 hours....TOOK 6 HOURS!!!!

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
You should have stayed the night if you could. I was due in York for meeting at 11. Thought, go nice and early and when I arrived they were delayed and by 6.55 they were all cancelled.

It was no better by road. Someone came up from London and when they got to midlands it added quite a few hours on to car journey. I believe it took them 6 hours from London to Brum and that was later in day.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have the water levels decreased yet and the services back to normal on many of these lines? It was incredible just how the snowball effect took hold during Friday and Saturday.

Many parts of Yorkshire were also very badly affected and once again the same old scenes of devastation rams home the stark truth that this sort of thing is going to be more and more common. Not good for anyone who doesn't live on elevated land clear of any rivers that are susceptible.

They have actually forecast even more bloody rain this week as the humidity sends temperatures soaring and the possibility of flash flooding / thunderstorms becomes that much greater.

And of course, let's not forget the Glastonbury quagmire which is about to start all over again.......

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
Not good for anyone who doesn't live on elevated land clear of any rivers that are susceptible.
Depends where you were Martin some of the water was around for a good 4 hours.

It doesnt matter if you live near a river or not. Such a concentrated amount of water and nowhere for it to go means areas where there is a lot of concrete/tarmac with no where for water to go are as bad as near a river. Moral of the story is, dont pave over your front lawn or pave all your garden. You need to let water go somewhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts