SkyscraperCity banner

1761 - 1780 of 6570 Posts

·
Infrastructure
9,145 Posts
Somebody should wake up the planning authorities that Kota Damansara - Cheras MUST be built as MRT line............not LRT...i don't want to see short sighted planning which costs us money in the future...

Our ART Mk.2 looks even narrower than KTM Komuter trains, but only 2 cars....imagine how bad the rush is at peak hours, this is obvious in KLCC station....whenever during peak hour, or worse, during massive fair like PC Fair, the KLCC station destined to be overloaded!

·
Registered
708 Posts
so interesting why we always seeing fault made by RapidKL and ignoring what other operators did to our beautiful city of Kuala Lumpur.

Metrobus, Leng Seng, Selangor Omnibus....they are all in severe conditions (driving attitude, unserviced bus engine and so on)

many times i mention how useless if we only targeting RapidKL for their poor service...while ignoring others. or should i say REVAMP THE (whole) SYSTEM! not only rapidKL
The driving attitudes, the unbearable honks, the noise from the dying engines, the suffocating smoke, the severe conditions of those buses, you are absolutely right. Which department of the authority can really take care of these issues? Where should we complain to?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Spot on chene, you're right. Maybe other depts should help too such as Police, Police traffic, JPJ.... depending on which issue people want to complain about.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks allurban. I agree that we should create a few alternate routes that will link some of the major stations such as KLCC, Masjid Jamek, KL Sentral together so as to disperse the crowd (to give them more travel options) and to compensate the fact that Kelana Jaya line stations cannot be fully expanded to accommodate more length of the trains.

My focus now is more towards improving Kelana Jaya Line.

For instance, create a new MRT line from Ampang Park - KLCC - Bukit Bintang - Masjid Jamek - KL Sentral. If the MRT station at KL Sentral is directly under the KTM, it would be an enormous help as KTM passengers who rush to work at KLCC, BB, Masjid Jamek areas would go down straight to the station for transit, instead of climbing up to the Kelana Jaya station upstairs and jamming the poor station. I would call this line the City Line as it carries passengers to the CBD of KL. However, it could be very well be extended to Cheras and even Puchong.

Meanwhile, the overcrowded stations during peak hours like Wangsa Maju (which is amazingly overcrowded), Setiawangsa will need to have another alternate route. We probably could create a new MRT route that penetrates the densely populated areas that should also link Wangsa Maju and Setiawangsa then to Ampang Park/KLCC area. Remember most of the residents who live in Wangsa Maju and Setiawangsa work very close to the area. Perhaps the route could be Selayang - Batu Caves - Wangsa Maju - Setiawangsa - Ampang Park - KLCC - Masjid Jamek - KL Sentral - Bangsar town - Damansara - Mutiara Damansara - Bandar Utama. Let Kelana Jaya line mainly serve the PJ, Gombak and Keramat residents, while the new MRT line can carry the residents outside PJ. A Bangsar town station would help as Bangsar @ Kelana Jaya in the morning is also very crowded - this new station in the town itself would take a major load off Kelana Jaya line during peak hours.

With these new routes, Ampang Park, KLCC, Masjid Jamek, and KL Sentral wouls all have two additional lines. All these massive traffic stations definitely need to have more routes to provide more alternatives. And I like the idea to have KLCC connect to Bukit Bintang. All this could work. What do you think?
Perhaps the proposal by Fikir Runding Sdn Bhd below can solve many of the above problems

·
Registered
708 Posts
Perhaps the proposal by Fikir Runding Sdn Bhd below can solve many of the above problems

It may look pretty but the proposal does not provide any direct solution to the problem that the overcrowded Kelana Jaya line cannot cope with the passenger load during peak hours. We need more train lines to coincide with those overcrowded stations such as KLCC, Masjik Jamek, KL Sentral, Wangsa Maju, etc (take NYC's Second Avenue Subway for an example, which is under construction to help the overcrowded Lexington Avenue Line), and certainly a new downtown line to link all the major stops in the downtown area (for instance, KLCC to Bukit Bintang direct link) is necessary to convenience our travel.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Somebody should wake up the planning authorities that Kota Damansara - Cheras MUST be built as MRT line............not LRT...i don't want to see short sighted planning which costs us money in the future...

Our ART Mk.2 looks even narrower than KTM Komuter trains, but only 2 cars....imagine how bad the rush is at peak hours, this is obvious in KLCC station....whenever during peak hour, or worse, during massive fair like PC Fair, the KLCC station destined to be overloaded!

I was in Hong Kong last week. I took their MTR during my stay there. During peak hour, the trains arrived every 1 minute. Fantastic. :)

·
All Urban
4,348 Posts
Could you please substantiate your statement?
This came from a recent conversation with the director of LRT operations at RapidKL. He also mentioned the flat spots on the wheels and rails (the cause of the horrendous noise on some stretches of track)

I also have some information from Toronto (also using the ART system) but that is a different environment so there are different issues there.

Cheers, m

·
All Urban
4,348 Posts
so interesting why we always seeing fault made by RapidKL and ignoring what other operators did to our beautiful city of Kuala Lumpur.

Metrobus, Leng Seng, Selangor Omnibus....they are all in severe conditions (driving attitude, unserviced bus engine and so on)

many times i mention how useless if we only targeting RapidKL for their poor service...while ignoring others. or should i say REVAMP THE (whole) SYSTEM! not only rapidKL
good point @Osh...the only thing is that they dont answer to anyone...while rapidKL is at least slightly receptive.

So complaining about them...what to do :bash:

Cheers, m

·
All Urban
4,348 Posts
For instance, create a new MRT line from Ampang Park - KLCC - Bukit Bintang - Masjid Jamek - KL Sentral. If the MRT station at KL Sentral is directly under the KTM, it would be an enormous help as KTM passengers who rush to work at KLCC, BB, Masjid Jamek areas would go down straight to the station for transit, instead of climbing up to the Kelana Jaya station upstairs and jamming the poor station. I would call this line the City Line as it carries passengers to the CBD of KL. However, it could be very well be extended to Cheras and even Puchong. ?
The plan for the Kota Damansara-Cheras line will accomodate this proposal except for the part at Masjid Jamek. I believe that the tunnel will be from brickfields to Pudu and follow part of Jalan Raja Chulan through the city.

Meanwhile, the overcrowded stations during peak hours like Wangsa Maju (which is amazingly overcrowded), Setiawangsa will need to have another alternate route. We probably could create a new MRT route that penetrates the densely populated areas that should also link Wangsa Maju and Setiawangsa then to Ampang Park/KLCC area. Remember most of the residents who live in Wangsa Maju and Setiawangsa work very close to the area. Perhaps the route could be Selayang - Batu Caves - Wangsa Maju - Setiawangsa - Ampang Park - KLCC - Masjid Jamek - KL Sentral - Bangsar town - Damansara - Mutiara Damansara - Bandar Utama. Let Kelana Jaya line mainly serve the PJ, Gombak and Keramat residents, while the new MRT line can carry the residents outside PJ. A Bangsar town station would help as Bangsar @ Kelana Jaya in the morning is also very crowded - this new station in the town itself would take a major load off Kelana Jaya line during peak hours.?
The service through Wangsa Maju and Setiawangsa is planned for with the DBKL's proposed KL-North line that roughly follows the route of the new Duta-Ulu Kelang Expressway (DUKE). Since the highway is about to open, it might be wise to incorporate a bus service along the DUKE-NKVE combination...this would move people from Klang Sentral all the way to Ulu-Kelang...

Once demand is established along this corridor, the LRT can be introduced.

With these new routes, Ampang Park, KLCC, Masjid Jamek, and KL Sentral wouls all have two additional lines. All these massive traffic stations definitely need to have more routes to provide more alternatives. And I like the idea to have KLCC connect to Bukit Bintang. All this could work. What do you think?
it would be great...and quite possible... the thing is, we have to minimize the disruption to the city and get it done fast. A train serving the south of KLCC and some of Bukit Bintang would be quite beneficial to the city. More public transport on Jalan Ampang is necessary because there is no room for cars and buses. I have to say that I dont expect much for Masjid Jamek tho...it will stay as is...at least until KTMB builds the underground bypass :lol: :nuts:

Cheers, m

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
^^ more reason to bring all the urban transport asset into a nationalized company and have operators compete for routes. government agencies help maintain discipline and compliance on the operators.

how to fund all of these? by taxing on fuel (petrol and diesel) and businesses on areas of service, funds can be generated to purchase infra and subsidies operations. government funds still requires for major infra some what works in the US where fuel taxes help maintain their massive freeway system.

is kl and penang ready for this kind of idea? i think there will be an uproar first. politicians will take advantage of the situation. somebody has to do it, but i think everyone is too busy looking after their butts to do it.

·
All Urban
4,348 Posts
^^ more reason to bring all the urban transport asset into a nationalized company and have operators compete for routes. government agencies help maintain discipline and compliance on the operators.
Check these letters out:

I FINISHED 2008 with the hope that public transport in Malaysia would be improved. But the truth is the government has yet to understand public transport, and the relevant ministries and government departments are still operating in isolation -- meaning more time is spent on short-term issues rather than long-term planning.

Aside from the controversy over the relocation of the Klang North bus terminal, there are the proposed revamps of Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB) and RapidKL that should be carefully examined.

Recently, the Transport Ministry announced that it would push ahead with breaking down KTMB into different companies -- asset owners (owning the tracks, trains, stations and workshops) and operators (to run the trains and stations).

This would be a continuation of the stalled corporatisation (and eventual privatisation) plans for KTMB. The transport minister had said it might be useful to bring in competitors for KTMB, which presumably, will lead to improved service.

The Finance Ministry has announced a different revamp of Prasarana Nasional Bhd and RapidKL. Under the proposal, RapidKL (and, presumably, RapidPenang) would become a division within Prasarana.

Integrating Prasarana and RapidKL is supposedly going to cut costs which will make the company more profitable. It is also being proposed that Prasarana integrate the KL Monorail and have RapidKL operate it.

The Transport Ministry and the Finance Ministry seem to have completely different ideas on how to oversee and manage public transport.

The Transport Ministry wants more companies and more competition, while the Finance Ministry is looking at fewer companies and reduced overhead costs.

What is being forgotten here is that all these planned "revamps" at management level are doing nothing to improve day-to-day public transport services.

It seems that these ministries have been too busy planning revamps to ensure that there would be enough lines, vehicles and staff to operate the services.

While these revamps occur, it is likely that the employees of RapidKL, Prasarana and KTMB will be worrying about the security of their jobs, instead of concentrating on improving their services.

As the revamps occur, time will be wasted with office and ministry politics, administrative changes, etc. One wonders if there will be enough time to improve planning and operations.

We should also consider the fact that the proposed Transport Commission has yet to be set up. Why is there a rush to revamp the management structure of KTMB, Prasarana and RapidKL?

There is no point in revamping these organisations only to have a new Transport Commission undo them!

The fact that people still describe RapidKL as a "loss-making company" is a disappointment.

RapidKL suffers losses because it operates decent public transport services. It should spend more money and lose more money, albeit responsibly, for better services.

If we start focusing on profits instead of service, then we will lose sight of the fact that public transport is for the public.

If we start focusing on corporate revamps, we will forget that there is only one revamp that really matters -- the one that makes public transport the responsibility of a Select Parliamentary Committee which is answerable to Parliament and the people.

MOAZ YUSUF AHMAD, Subang Jaya

What about us?

I AM saddened that public transport commuters continue to be sidelined every time there is a fuel price drop. While vehicle owners are happy their expenses keep coming down (they are now paying RM1.80 per litre, less than the RM1.92 that Malaysians had got used to), the group that relies on public transport is largely ignored.

Yes, they will benefit in four to five years' time when infrastructure is improved, but what about their immediate needs?

Why do they continue to pay high fares when they too have been affected by the higher prices of goods and services following the hike in fuel prices to RM2.70 in June?

The authorities need to look at the needs of this group in a sympathetic manner by providing commuters with affordable, reliable, and comfortable train or bus rides to their destinations as well as improving the quality of services.

The government has always advocated the use of public transport. It is time to walk the talk and alleviate the suffering of this group who can only afford public transport.

POLA SINGH, Kuala Lumpur

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
This came from a recent conversation with the director of LRT operations at RapidKL. He also mentioned the flat spots on the wheels and rails (the cause of the horrendous noise on some stretches of track)

I also have some information from Toronto (also using the ART system) but that is a different environment so there are different issues there.

Cheers, m
So that's the course... maybe Ampang Line's noise is due to something similar to this also...? :(

·
All Urban
4,348 Posts
So that's the course... maybe Ampang Line's noise is due to something similar to this also...? :(
flat spots on wheels are caused by excessive braking causing the train to slide forward and creating flat spots on the wheel. This is the cause of the "slap-slap" or "tap-tap" noise that can be heard at some places. It can also result in changes to the balance of a wheel.

The solution to flat spots is grinding the wheels and rails. I do not know how often RapidKL/Prasarana (or KTMB) grind their wheels and rails.

Other sources of noise:

wheel squeal - rails are steel-on-steel and metal on metal contact will create noise

tight turns - the kelana Jaya LRT trains have steerable axles which allow tighter turns. This saves costs as tunnels can be smaller and turns can be tighter. However, tighter turns lead to more wheel squeal and noise.

I expect the issues with the Ampang line are related to flat spots and maintenance issues, while KJ line is flat spots, maintenance, and the tight turns and climbing.

Cheers, m

·
All Urban
4,348 Posts
The lines that runding fikir draw some of them are not feasible ie too long and lack of passengers.
be specific :) Which lines are not so feasible?

Cheers, m

1761 - 1780 of 6570 Posts